Thread: Good Article On SDS About Aranda Contract

vCash

Good Article On SDS About Aranda Contract

I know it?s SDS but these are actually good points. What A&M has been doing and what Joe Alleva did are bad for college football. Alleva is an idiot. I can?t believe the Chancellor signed off on this.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/ls...ich-deal-2018/

vCash
    These programs have more money than they know what to do with. Thats the advantage of being a blue blood and having a 100K stadium. It's the advantage of having larger fanbases buying LSU gear. It is what it is.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    These programs have more money than they know what to do with. Thats the advantage of being a blue blood and having a 100K stadium. It's the advantage of having larger fanbases buying LSU gear. It is what it is.
    True on all points, but they (LSU) aren't the brightest most well led athletic department in the conference, as a matter of fact I'd be willing to bet they are one of the worst led in the country. Yes they have a bottomless pit of money to throw at things ( like A&M , oil money) but the amount of stupid there helps to counterbalance that fact. And the clincher is they hired Eddie O. They are underachievers compared to the size of their pocketbooks.

vCash
    I guess I don't agree with the author. His logic seems to go: 1) Aranda is now paid an insane amount 2) He's good, but not the best 3) LSU would have probably let him walk and replaced him if they felt the available pool was better 4) Good coordinators will demand Aranda money, which few schools can do. 5) that's bad, apparently

Personally, I feel like the amount of money for staffs was already a huge disparity between schools. Saban is paid more than our entire staff, and we pay more than most. Jimbo just got a $75M deal... how many schools can do that? I don't see the Aranda deal as being some major change in the total picture of staff money. For DC specifically, sure, but not for total staff compensation.

I also feel like DCs making over 2M is inevitable. Go look at coaching salaries over the last 20 years... History tells us they will continue to balloon. Go look at the difference in revenue a 9-3 team generates vs a 6-6 team does, and the math proves the ballooning salaries are worth it. A good DC vs a bad DC got us 3 more wins than last year... I guarantee Grantham was worth $2-3M more than Sirmon just from a revenue math stanpoint.

That's why I think our boosters should go full A&M and get the highest paid people at every spot. Sure it may be an extra 4-5M, but you'll win and in 5 years we'll be paying that much anyway just to go 8-4 and stay competitive. May as well get ahead of the curve since we know it's coming
    Last edited by the_real_MSU_is_us; 01-05-2018 at 12:45 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I get what you are saying & agree, but it doesn't change my opinion that LSU & A&M were both offering Aranda WAY above market price & that it was unnecessary. There are plenty of quality DCs that would've taken market value for those two jobs. Go find them

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I get what you are saying & agree, but it doesn't change my opinion that LSU & A&M were both offering Aranda WAY above market price & that it was unnecessary. There are plenty of quality DCs that would've taken market value for those two jobs. Go find them
    I don't thinks they were offering way above market value. The Market sets itself. LSU is desperate and Alleva is fighting for his job. He is tied at the hip with the O hire and has to do everything in his power to make sure he isn't a complete failure or he will be out of a job. I would love for state to throw that kind of money at a DC. It is more than worth it.

Some thought Mullen was making too much and yet look how much $$ he brought into the city of Starkville once we got good. Look at how many gameday condos started to be built and what he did for the local economy with hotels and restaurants. He brought in way more money for Starkville than we ever thought about paying him. Most of those condos go anywhere from 200k-600k a piece and there are tons of them around town now and that is just condos.

It also helped with incoming freshman numbers. I know several people that grew up in USM families and their kids decided to come to state simply because of our athletics programs namely football. That may be a bad reason to pick a school but it's part of it.

The money doled out to coaches is small in comparison to what football game weekends do for Starkville economically. If we are bad going 3-9 and 4-8 with 25-30k coming to games and buying apparel etc. that hurts more than just our football program it basically shuts down city growth. Starkville's best selling product is Mississippi State Football...Why not invest in it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Totally disagree

Aranda is a top 5 DC in the country. Not only that- why change to a new system and hope the next guy blends in? Why go for the unknown when your current product is damn good? LSU slipped some this year due to injuries and suspensions. Every year has its ups and downs with different problems.

LSU paying 2.4 doesn’t put a strain on their pocketbook. It’s like us paying a DC 750K.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is