Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: UCF Claims National Championship

vCash
    Tsun fan?s take on twitter on this. Of course those D Bags would be ok with it.

It's marketing genius by your AD. When was the last time your school got so much publicity? Other FL schools, Georgia, and Bama fans are the only ones whining about it. The rest of the country applauds the great season and school pride

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Out of 65 teams, I guarantee you there are plenty of schools that would be open to doing a buy game with UCF and they could probably fill their schedules with 2 and 1's. They had Ga Tech playing at UCF this year. Nebraska recently played at Southern. Even relatively big time programs are finding themselves having to agree to 2 for 1's to get their schedule filled.

If UCF had scheduled two more Power 5 teams instead of FUI and Austin Peay, I think they would have had a legitimate argument about getting left out. Even if they scheduled mid-tier teams, if they scheduled four of them two years out, at least one or two of them would probably end up good. But you can't go into scheduling knowing that your conference schedule is going to be weaker than any Power 5 team's and then also schedule two cupcakes in OOC. well, you can, but you can't do that and also complain that you aren't in the running for a national title.
    I’m not talking about mid-tier P5 programs. I’m talking the bama’s, usc’s, Ohio st’s, f$u’s, uga’s, etc. because let’s face it, if ucf beat up on Nebraska and GT this year, no one would give them any credit for being mid-tier P5 programs have bad years. It sucks for ucf, but the simple fact is that barring a decent upset by Memphis or a huge upset by anyone else, literally the entire top 25 would be likely to run the table with their schedule this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg34 View Post

It's marketing genius by your AD. When was the last time your school got so much publicity? Other FL schools, Georgia, and Bama fans are the only ones whining about it. The rest of the country applauds the great season and school pride
    I don’t think anyone is “whining” about it. All I’ve seen is people doing the internet equivalent of rolling their eyes at it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Esac44 View Post
    So basically it’s about who you play and not who you defeat in your opinion? I am in the “you gotta win” crowd to be considered a Champion, not ashamed of it at all. Seems like there are a lot of “oh just pick who’s best” and let the rest suck it up crowd but everyone is entitled to their opinion... (is that 8th or 9th?)
    It’s about who you play AND who you beat. Only a ****ing moron would argue that it’s black and white.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    Heard that bullshit argument when we beat Farvre and when we beat UCF in 2007.
    What bullshit argument am I making and how is that relevant to us? I didn’t know I was making an argument, I was merely pointing out the reality of really good G5 programs trying to schedule good P5 teams with realistic CFP aspirations.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I'd feel great because my team went undefeated but I wouldn't want them to hang a banner proclaiming a National Championship.

Hang a banner that says undefeated season.
    If we did this, that would mean we beat GA, Bama, and Auburn, I would be cool with the banner.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg34 View Post

Funny, most of what I see says they are being ridiculous. I agree, it’s pathetic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    So UCF has announced today that they are officially declaring themselves the National Champions and will hang a banner in their stadium for it.
    They must use the same PR people as North Korea, but BYU and 1982 Clemson also have fake banners, so why not?

vCash
    I have zero respect for UCF. I?m almost to the point of hating Disney World by default.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    I?m not talking about mid-tier P5 programs. I?m talking the bama?s, usc?s, Ohio st?s, f$u?s, uga?s, etc. because let?s face it, if ucf beat up on Nebraska and GT this year, no one would give them any credit for being mid-tier P5 programs have bad years. It sucks for ucf, but the simple fact is that barring a decent upset by Memphis or a huge upset by anyone else, literally the entire top 25 would be likely to run the table with their schedule this year.
    Re-read what you are replying to.

I didn't say replace one of the OOC teams with a Power-5, I said replace two of them. Again, if they had scheduled 4 Power 5 teams for this year (which realistically means they would have scheduled games 2-4 years ago, when it's unpredictable who will be good), very likely one if not two of the opponents would have ended up being pretty good. Even if they tried to schedule 4 perennial losers, in many years they'd end up with one pretty good matchup.

Might not help when there are four good conference champions, but in years where there isn't a clear-cut fourth best team, it would at least give them a good argument.

To me, if they had scheduled four Power 5 teams for this year and gone undefeated, I would have been very sympathetic to the argument that they have "earned" their way in. If you play the hardest schedule available to you and go undefeated, you've got a pretty good argument that you should get a shot (if not, it needs to be formally recognized that G5 teams belong to their own division between FBS and FCS). But you have zero argument when you pair an American Conference schedule with FIU and Austin Peay.

vCash
    AD White came from Ole Miss. Nuff Said!
    Bulldogs continue domination of Ole Miss
    BY RICK CLEVELAND

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Then schedule Ohio State, Notre Dame, Bama, Auburn, LSU, MS State, USCw, etc.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    I think UCF has a good team this year, and I think on a neutral field they'd have given us all we could handle (with a healthy Fitz). Having said that, I see a lot of scores for them this season that are eerily similar to scores from their 2007 season, when they had the leading rusher in all of college football (a fact they wouldn't shut up about) and we dominated them defensively.

I don't care that they beat Auburn. Auburn went from having a shot at the playoffs to playing in essentially a consolation game they didn't care about, and it STILL took a pick-6 for UCF to win. The fact is, the team I saw playing Auburn isn't as good as any of the 4 teams that were picked for the playoff. They wouldn't beat Bama, Oklahoma, Georgia, or Clemson in a game that any of those 4 teams gave a shit about and that tells me that the committee got it right with respect to UCF. Whether or not Bama deserved a shot is a different argument, but there are still at least 2 teams I'd have given the last slot to before UCF.

vCash
    I would wait for Bammer to play them next Tuesday morning in there stadium and hand them there ass.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    If we did this, that would mean we beat GA, Bama, and Auburn, I would be cool with the banner.
    Only at MSU could we possibly go 14-0 in the same season where the P5 would have four other undefeated conference champions that all got selected to the BCS playoff bowls. That's the ONLY sceanario where we could ever go undefeated and not win a NC under the current system. That scenario would also probably spur playoff exapansion. Highly, highly unlikely situation.

But if it did I'm fine hanging an undefeated season banner too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    They must use the same PR people as North Korea, but BYU and 1982 Clemson also have fake banners, so why not?
    At least someone remembers the bastardization of the BYU National Championship....

The worst decision in the last ~4 decades...

Thank goodness, we got the BCS and the CFP to lend some credibility to it all....
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadrupleOption View Post
    I think UCF has a good team this year, and I think on a neutral field they'd have given us all we could handle (with a healthy Fitz). Having said that, I see a lot of scores for them this season that are eerily similar to scores from their 2007 season, when they had the leading rusher in all of college football (a fact they wouldn't shut up about) and we dominated them defensively.

I don't care that they beat Auburn. Auburn went from having a shot at the playoffs to playing in essentially a consolation game they didn't care about, and it STILL took a pick-6 for UCF to win. The fact is, the team I saw playing Auburn isn't as good as any of the 4 teams that were picked for the playoff. They wouldn't beat Bama, Oklahoma, Georgia, or Clemson in a game that any of those 4 teams gave a shit about and that tells me that the committee got it right with respect to UCF. Whether or not Bama deserved a shot is a different argument, but there are still at least 2 teams I'd have given the last slot to before UCF.
    Why don't we just let, "the committee," pick the NC? They will probably get that right also.

vCash
    SEC Shorts has chimed in:

https://youtu.be/rZ0uBqxl484
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17