Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UCF Claims National Championship

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash

UCF Claims National Championship

So UCF has announced today that they are officially declaring themselves the National Champions and will hang a banner in their stadium for it.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Georgia or Alabama would beat them by 5 TDs if they were in Playoff. Clemson and Oklahoma would too for that matter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    So UCF has announced today that they are officially declaring themselves the National Champions and will hang a banner in their stadium for it.
    Bless their hearts.

vCash
    Are they related to the Rebels? That is such an OM thing!
    Bulldogs continue domination of Ole Miss
    BY RICK CLEVELAND

vCash
    Kind of reminds me of the saying, "if a tree falls and there's no one around to hear it, does it make a sound?". They can hang their banner, but after Frost is gone and they go back to mediocrity, who will ever see this make believe banner? It won't be in the record books so only the alumni and current students will know of it.

vCash
    How would all of you feel, if you were UCF?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Percho View Post
    I'd feel great because my team went undefeated but I wouldn't want them to hang a banner proclaiming a National Championship.

Hang a banner that says undefeated season.

vCash
    I think any team that goes undefeated in college football should be allowed to be in the playoffs. Especially when when one of the teams that got in wasn?t their conference champion or even went to the game.

vCash
    I feel bad for UCF honestly. Do they deserve a shot? Yes. If we had multiple undefeated teams every year it's a different story. But there is usually a maximum of 1 undefeated team in all of FBS per year and some years none. It's not easy, no matter who you play, to go undefeated.

Only way a team like UCF gets in is to go undefeated, play a couple P5 teams that are middle of the road and win (or get lucky in scheduling because we all know big time teams don't like to schedule these kinds of teams. Go look at Boise State's P5 opponents during the regular season), and be able to maintain success for more than 2 years because a flash in the pan at the G5 level will not get you in. Have to start higher and be on the radar for a long period of time.

vCash
    I don't know. Tulane finished the season undefeated some years ago and wound up ranked 11th by the AP. Their schedule was similar to UCF's. UCF only played one P5 team this year in the regular season, and that was lowly Maryland. Beef up the OOC by playing Notre Dame, Alabama, Ohio State, or maybe just all P5 teams almost regardless of "toughness" and they might get some recognition. They're obviously pretty good since they beat Auburn, but they're not No. 1 good.

Banned
    vCash

We need to do the same thing for 1940-41

Back to back National Championships, baby!!!!!!!!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    I don't know. Tulane finished the season undefeated some years ago and wound up ranked 11th by the AP. Their schedule was similar to UCF's. UCF only played one P5 team this year in the regular season, and that was lowly Maryland. Beef up the OOC by playing Notre Dame, Alabama, Ohio State, or maybe just all P5 teams almost regardless of "toughness" and they might get some recognition. They're obviously pretty good since they beat Auburn, but they're not No. 1 good.
    Well in their defense they did have Georgia Tech scheduled but it got hurricaned out and never made up. So they at least tried to schedule a couple of middle of the road P5 teams to bolster the resume.

vCash
    I would be pissed that we had a good team and didn't schedule in a way that would give us a chance, but I'd also understand that playing a weak schedule is the smarter, higher percentage play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fader21 View Post
    I think any team that goes undefeated in college football should be allowed to be in the playoffs. Especially when when one of the teams that got in wasn?t their conference champion or even went to the game.
    You can't do this, as then every G5 team that thinks they will be good will be looking to make their schedule even weaker rather than trying to schedule up. If you want to win a national championship, you have to play a big boy schedule. With most of the schedule taken up by conference games, that means a G5 team is going to have to step out there and schedule a couple of good games.

vCash
    Do you think Eddie Robinsom ever thought, he had a NC team? I wonder how many he thought he had?

Does the best team always win the NC?

If you wand a NC, have a NC playoff?

IMO in reality there really isn't a true NC in any year.

vCash
    I think it's great...

In fact, while they're at it, I think they oughta go a step further and hang up an SECW #4 Banner next to it.
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas_Dawg View Post
    Georgia or Alabama would beat them by 5 TDs if they were in Playoff. Clemson and Oklahoma would too for that matter.
    They would probably lose, but not by 5 TD's..

vCash

Checked several computer ratings...

...including all of the computer ratings that were used in the BCS ( http://www.bcsfootball.org/news/story?id=4765872 ), and only one (Dr. Peter Wolfe) has UCF as #1. Massey Ratings has them #13 and Sagarin #8. So UCF can blame human bias all they want, but nearly all 'objective' computer ratings also don't believe they are #1. A couple do have Georgia #1 and UCF #2, so it's possible that if Bama beats Georgia that UCF could take #1 over Bama in two more ratings systems. Still not a consensus. I noticed one of the systems had UCF #8 prior to their bowl win and #2 after, so they probably wouldn't have qualified for the playoffs using objective systems either.

vCash
    If you want to win a natty from the G5 ALL of your noncoferance games better be against P5 teams, and at least two need to be against very good P5 teams.

vCash
    Problem with a ucf scheduling big name P5 programs, is those P5 programs would be fools to schedule ucf types. I?d rather chance losing to Texas or f$u or Michigan than chance losing to ucf, even if ucf is better than those teams this year on the field. Lose to ucf and your season is done. Lose to a Michigan or f$u and you can still run the table and be in good shape. Best a mediocre Michigan or Texas or f$u and the name alone carries some clout too. Beat ucf and everyone expects you to beat them even if they go 10-2 or something. So there?s really no incentive for the bama?s and the uga?s and the clemson?s to schedule ucf type programs. You can?t blame ucf for not scheduling those games either because it takes 2 to tango. It just is what it is. Maybe with multiple seasons of sustained 10+ win success, one of the neutral site season openers invites ucf to play a big dog program (like Boise played uga and va tech in season openers in atl and dc when Petersen was there, but that was after multiple top 10 finishes), but that’s about all you can hope for for a regular season shot at a big program.

Whoever said going undefeated against any schedule is easy, most of the top 25 would?ve run the table with ucf?s schedule.

Also, claiming the natty is just dumb and looks desperate. Hang a banner for an undefeated season and peach bowl champs, but don?t be that guy that tries to claim the natty.
    Last edited by dawgs; 01-03-2018 at 02:36 PM.