Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: You know why people freak out in recruiting?

vCash

You know why people freak out in recruiting?

Because there are 3 guys from MS if we had them on our roster, we could make it to the playoff.

1. Raekwon Davis at DT next to Jeff Simmons from Meridian
    2. AJ Brown at WR from Starkville
    3. Savion Smith from MS Juco to lock down a corner spot. He's headed to Bama

If you want to get greedy, you could throw in Cam Akers and Sahdiq Charles, but I would take those Top 3 and we could win it all next year.

vCash
    Yeah, having two SEC teams in Ms., with bama and LSU always swooping in to cherry pick has and will always make recruiting the top Ms guys hard for us. Got to find a way to keep the top guys at State!

vCash
    Basically said the same thing in another post and that’s basically what Shotgun been saying all day. If you had 2-3 more difference makers in each class or just don’t let those you mention get away, we could do something pretty special.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Because there are 3 guys from MS if we had them on our roster, we could make it to the playoff.

If you want to get greedy, you could throw in Cam Akers and Sahdiq Charles, but I would take those Top 3 and we could win it all next year.
    Not one of them were coming to state. Never.

But had they, wed have been marginally better. Mullen wouldn?t have gotten aj the ball. Our DL hasn?t been a weakness. Corner could have helped immeasurably.

What we really needed was Grantham for the last 5 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    Not one of them were coming to state. Never.
    Uh, Davis committed to us on twitter.

As for the others, that's the problem that they were either never coming or weren't interested in MSU. That is the entire problem.

We are top 25 program. There is absolutely no reason for a kid in MS that didn't grow up an OM fan to not be interested in us. There is absolutely no reason.

And, if MS aren't interested in playing at the in-state top 25 program, then that is a problem with the people of the state of MS. Needs to be fixed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post

Always the bridesmaid. Never the bride.

I consider it inevitable to miss some which is why I think we have to plug depth from Juco and find ~5-10 Juco & out of state kids every year. We can have a different recruiting model in Mississippi. We should use it.

vCash
    Well the problem is that we rarely get a top 15 kid from LA or Bama even if our depth chart lines up better. Maybe KT and Whop help that but you can never have enough stud DL so Raekwon would have helped.

AJ was just unfortunate all the way around as he would have indeed been a huge difference maker.

I’m still hoping we can get a good grad transfer at WR. One of those guys that just gets open. Heck Hastings at AU was a walk on and I think tenfroenfor Clemson was as well

vCash
    And how good would AU be if they got all of Bama players? Stupid to lose your mind over it. Happens everywhere to some degree. But only a handful of people freak out.

vCash
    Don’t forget Lousivlle’s 3* WR from MS

vCash
    Even if we limit tonguys we have good shots at or good relationships with, our main pro Alex is not closing enough on the 50/50 guys. Just think if we had not landed Simmons. He’s a massive difference maker for us. We don’t have to be top 10, we just have to find a way to get more of our bigger fish to get over the hump.

We are making strides. We just need to perform next year and do well with the instate class

vCash
    Freaking out like a giant ***** and shit-talking high school kids on an internet message board is gonna do the exact opposite of whatever y’all seem to think it will. I swear some of y’all post the stupidest shit trying to tear down high school kids who owe no one anything. Those of y’all that tweet it at recruits are even worse.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dildoes View Post
    Freaking out like a giant ***** and shit-talking high school kids on an internet message board is gonna do the exact opposite of whatever y’all seem to think it will. I swear some of y’all post the stupidest shit trying to tear down high school kids who owe no one anything. Those of y’all that tweet it at recruits are even worse.
    Lighten up Francis, 11th post, user name

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dildoes View Post
    You must be talking about those ole miss guys that chase kids into bathrooms and twitter stalk them.

Banned
    vCash
    Sure we are probably 3-4 elite players away from a playoff but how many were we away from it if we have Croom's roster?? You don't become a top 4 team overnight or by bitching about recruiting non-stop. You build to it slowly and steadily. The fact we can say we are 3-4 players away is pretty amazing. Enjoy being 9-4 and having a good roster and HC with an exciting offense for the next 9 months. That's what I will be doing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    Even if we limit tonguys we have good shots at or good relationships with, our main pro Alex is not closing enough on the 50/50 guys. Just think if we had not landed Simmons. He’s a massive difference maker for us. We don’t have to be top 10, we just have to find a way to get more of our bigger fish to get over the hump.

We are making strides. We just need to perform next year and do well with the instate class
    When you say bigger fish, if you mean out of state bigger fish, it's not going to happen. Ever. Can we get good players from out of state? Sure, guys the others pass on for the most part. But we aren't going into any state and getting 5 star or a recruited 4 star if bama wants em if from bama. Or lsu wants em and from Louisiana. Just not happening.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Sure we are probably 3-4 elite players away from a playoff but how many were we away from it if we have Croom's roster?? You don't become a top 4 team overnight or by bitching about recruiting non-stop. You build to it slowly and steadily. The fact we can say we are 3-4 players away is pretty amazing. Enjoy being 9-4 and having a good roster and HC with an exciting offense for the next 9 months. That's what I will be doing.
    You make good points, but it doesn’t hurt to understand what it will take to make the next jump in program evolution.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    This is my feelings exactly. Good post.

vCash
    People usually "freak out" or "get upset" or whatever you want to call it because they feel like things are out of control in general with anything in life. The reason a lot of MSU fans freak out about recruiting is we were consistently having guys flipped or losing guys we should have gotten- like AJ and Lashley- and Dan didn't do anything about it until the administration nudged him. And even then it was a band aid.

I think the biggest adjustment we need to make in recruiting going forward is to increase the general effort from the coaching staff. Obviously, we still won't get them ALL- but I bet we cut our losses by 50%. There are other things like increasing the recruiting budget, placing more emphasis on it in football, and etc. But if we do nothing else I want our coaches to put more energy into it. And I think we will see that from Moorhead's staff compared to Dan. People can freak out now- but we are still assembling our staff and will have that mostly finalized this week except for Fountain who I think will be finalized next week if I'm not mistaken. And remember even Freeze lost Richie Brown, Quay, and Nick James among others during the transition from Nutt to Freeze even with their Network in place. So, let's cut our losses of our three star d-linemen and just move forward.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    When you say bigger fish, if you mean out of state bigger fish, it's not going to happen. Ever. Can we get good players from out of state? Sure, guys the others pass on for the most part. But we aren't going into any state and getting 5 star or a recruited 4 star if bama wants em if from bama. Or lsu wants em and from Louisiana. Just not happening.
    Exactly and we really shouldn't blow up our model which as it is is basically a Peter Sirmon hire away from four straight 9 win seasons. If we simply increase our effort from the coaching staff it could help us get that "final piece" that puts us into the 10 win category.

And if people think it's tough recruiting against Ole Miss- let's try going up against LSU, Alabama, Auburn, and Tennessee for the same players in their backyard. The only way for us to do that consistently successfully is the same way Ole Miss did in 2013 and 2016....and NO ONE wants to go down that road. Especially since it's unnecessary to start with.

vCash
    1. Not everyone wants to come to State.
    2. Sometimes our staff has a good reason for not signing someone.
    3. We don’t play the game like others do.

I think we will see the new staff take us to the next level and get us those 2 or 3 elite guys every year.