Thread: Playoff expansion idea.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Yep this. It would take almost all controversy away because no one would feel bad for the first team out (this year, a 3-loss Auburn team). The only real argument against it is that occasionally 3- and 4-loss teams can win major conferences, but that's almost always due to a bad team lucking into the conference championship game and pulling an upset. If all conferences dropped divisions and just took the top 2 (like the Big 12 does now), the chances of that would be very low.

I agree that UCF isn't a top 4 team this year, but hypothetically teams in those conferences should have a chance to win. I wouldn't say that they should "never" be considered. In fact, including one G5 team gives teams extra incentive to keep playing hard and secure that #1 seed even when they've already clinched a playoff spot, because the G5 will almost always be the #8 seed and a much easier opponent than whoever the #2 seed has to play.
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    I think you take the 5 P5 conference champs, the highest ranked G5 team, and 2 at large bids. A team like UCF should be able to play in a playoff game. If you say their undefeated means nothing because they play weaker teams, then you devalue coaching and place priority on recruiting. We can?t expect a team to schedule 3 P5 non conference games. We don?t hold anyone else to that standard. UCF should have a chance.

This to me catches everything. You would have Clemson, Oklahome, Georgia, Clemson, USC, UCF, Bama, and Ohio State. It won?t always work out like that, but to me those are clearly the 8 teams that have a viable claim to a title and I think all 8 could potentially win.
    How many P5 teams did the 4 cfp teams play? How many did ucf play?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Apoplectic View Post
    How many P5 teams did the 4 cfp teams play? How many did ucf play?
    Bama played 1. It was a big one, but only one P5.
    Clemson played 2. Auburn plus the built in SC rivalry
    Oklahoma player 1 but it was also a big one. They have 9 conference games though.
    Georgia played 2 with ND and the built in Ga Tech rivalry

UCF had a game against Ga Tech canceled due to hurricane. That in the end probably hurt them a tad because they didn’t get to make that game up.

But I’ll say this. There has been no incentive to schedule big by G5 teams. Why would you? No matter what they do they aren’t getting in the playoff. Only chance they have is to go undefeated and get very lucky. So why schedule 2 P5 games? No benefit to them because it would be on the road most likely. Plus we already know the history of those teams struggling to find decent P5 teams to play them.

But give the G5 a spot to get in and I guarantee those teams will start busting doors down to schedule a little bigger. And you maybstart seeing P5 schools seek those good G5 schools out to build the resume.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Bama played 1. It was a big one, but only one P5.
    Clemson played 2. Auburn plus the built in SC rivalry
    Oklahoma player 1 but it was also a big one. They have 9 conference games though.
    Georgia played 2 with ND and the built in Ga Tech rivalry

UCF had a game against Ga Tech canceled due to hurricane. That in the end probably hurt them a tad because they didn’t get to make that game up.

But I’ll say this. There has been no incentive to schedule big by G5 teams. Why would you? No matter what they do they aren’t getting in the playoff. Only chance they have is to go undefeated and get very lucky. So why schedule 2 P5 games? No benefit to them because it would be on the road most likely. Plus we already know the history of those teams struggling to find decent P5 teams to play them.

But give the G5 a spot to get in and I guarantee those teams will start busting doors down to schedule a little bigger. And you maybstart seeing P5 schools seek those good G5 schools out to build the resume.
    I think you misunderstood his question. P5 means members of the big conferences as I understand it. We played 8 P5 teams plus BYU; Alabama played 9 and will have played 10 after tonight's game; UCF played 1 in the regular season: Maryland. And now Auburn.