Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Moorhead?s greatest recruiting target

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    played the hell out of the 4-2-5 yesterday
    Yep a defense we'll see a ton of next year.

vCash
    There is no way to double team Sweat when you have Simmons, Thomas/Hoyett, and Rivers or Green coming off the other side. Simmons is the 1st double team because he can?t be single blocked very often. We also played them on opposite sides- so you can?t dictate protection toward them.

Sweat loses money if he leaves early. With the front we will have next season- he will look even better to pro scouts. We will have an Alabama/Auburn type of DL
    All of your post is based on Gratham's defense and the other guys stepping up their play. Thomas is the only interior guy that truly complimented Simmons. Hoyett is average, Greene did better but still isn't dominant and both can be singly blocked freeing other lineman to double team. If Rivers is legit then things change if they're all in the game at the same time. If they're in different rotations it's a moot point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Yep a defense we'll see a ton of next year.
    yep. I think we will as well. Having Sweat off the backside with Simmons being doubled on the front will cause alot of protection problems. Especially adding Rivers, Odom, and older Jones...plus having Green coming off the edge as well. Scary
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    All of your post is based on Gratham's defense and the other guys stepping up their play. Thomas is the only interior guy that truly complimented Simmons. Hoyett is average, Greene did better but still isn't dominant and both can be singly blocked freeing other lineman to double team. If Rivers is legit then things change if they're all in the game at the same time. If they're in different rotations it's a moot point.
    my post is based on us being in a 4 front next year like we were yesterday. Sweat was wearing out that LT and Simmons had 8 QB hurries as a DT. That is just sick. 6 QB sacks against one of the top dual threat guys in the country- and it should have been 8-9 sacks but he was just too good of an athlete to escape.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    my post is based on us being in a 4 front next year like we were yesterday. Sweat was wearing out that LT and Simmons had 8 QB hurries as a DT. That is just sick. 6 QB sacks against one of the top dual threat guys in the country- and it should have been 8-9 sacks but he was just too good of an athlete to escape.
    Agreed. If that happens. Imo English is not getting enough credit for the types of blitzes and gameplan yesterday. He kept safeties back and kept us out of cover 0. He also kept McClaurin free instead of covering. Grantham kept the secondary in bad situations
    Last edited by bulldawg28; 12-31-2017 at 07:48 PM.

vCash
    He?ll be sure fire first rounder if he comes back. He?ll be a high end late first rounder to mid rounds if he came out this year. He needs to go through the process to experience it, but I hope he comes back and makes a mint next year.

State?s NFL resume is pretty legit right now.

vCash
    played the hell out of the 4-2-5 yesterday
    And looked dang good doing it!

vCash
    4-3 and 4-2-5 are different defenses. With Simmons over the center the majority of the year with two gap responsibility he fared well. When doubled team he disappeared ala Georgia, A&M, and even Ole Miss. A true 4-3 which is what Shoop supposedly runs is a totally different defense and gap responsibility. He can and will be doubled teamed
    Grantham and Shoop both run 1 gap defenses

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Grantham and Shoop both run 1 gap defenses
    Grantham generally runs two gap. He's changed when guys couldn't do it. He mixes it up. The DL will be fine imo. I'm just hoping the zero coverage with safeties guarding WR's is over in trips

vCash
    4-3 and 4-2-5 are different defenses. With Simmons over the center the majority of the year with two gap responsibility he fared well. When doubled team he disappeared ala Georgia, A&M, and even Ole Miss. A true 4-3 which is what Shoop supposedly runs is a totally different defense and gap responsibility. He can and will be doubled teamed
    You realize that very rarely in today's game w all the spread do you not have 5 db's on the field unless it's short yardage.

vCash
    If I'm Sweat, I'm gone! Regardless of a 1st or 2nd round projection he's a backup at worst and will earn plenty of playing time along with big money as time goes on. He'll also be doubled teamed next year most of the year.
    Hard to double team a DE unless you use a RB. It so, that weakens the offense. Simmons needs to be at the 3 to alleviate him getting doubled also
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    You realize that very rarely in today's game w all the spread do you not have 5 db's on the field unless it's short yardage.
    I know what most teams do. You do realize we just started doing this predominantly this year? Prior to running our 4-3 defense we kept the LB lined up over a WR? So don't act like it's the norm for State.
    If the new DC does it we're just catching up. Grantham even used the 5th DB as a safety instead of a corner causing us to get torched all year deep. If we go with 5 dbs you still don't know if it's a corner or a safety with the new DC. I know Bama does it with a safety but we're not bama. Saturday we used primarily corners instead of safeties as the 5th DB and they shined.
    Last edited by bulldawg28; 01-01-2018 at 06:04 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    Hard to double team a DE unless you use a RB. It so, that weakens the offense. Simmons needs to be at the 3 to alleviate him getting doubled also
    Hard to and impossible are two different things. If that's the offense only option to minimize Sweat and Simmons you already know they'll plan to.

vCash
    Hard to and impossible are two different things. If that's the offense only option to minimize Sweat and Simmons you already know they'll plan to.
    Then D should have a field day if they double 2 people
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    True.

vCash
    Yeah, offenses are already at a disadvantage because they only have 10 blockers (ball carrier doesn't count) to handle 11 defenders. Double team 2 D-lineman and now it's 6 to block 9... no amount of clever scheming can overcome that kind of disadvantage. I mean, you can't even double Simmons and run away from Sweat to solve the numbers problem, because Sweat is so fast he'll still make the play from the backside.

vCash
    Agreed. If that happens. Imo English is not getting enough credit for the types of blitzes and gameplan yesterday. He kept safeties back and kept us out of cover 0. He also kept McClaurin free instead of covering. Grantham kept the secondary in bad situations
    Agree dawg28. Grantham was a MAJOR upgrade over Sirmon, but I saw room for lots of improvement as the season progressed. English gave us one of our top-3 defensive game plans on the season against L'ville and Jackson, imo. Or maybe I should say, halftime adjustments although his gameplan in the 1st half was solid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    He?ll be sure fire first rounder if he comes back. He?ll be a high end late first rounder to mid rounds if he came out this year. He needs to go through the process to experience it, but I hope he comes back and makes a mint next year.

State?s NFL resume is pretty legit right now.
    While watching pre-game this morning, Mel Kiper's top-10 overall in this year's draft included 4 DE's so I could see Sweat being closer to mid-1st rounder if he duplicates this season's success.

vCash

That to me is the one thing that may keep him from getting drafted higher.

NT
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)