Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Way Too Early 2018 SEC Preseason Power Rankings

vCash

Way Too Early 2018 SEC Preseason Power Rankings

Let the arguing begin!

I'm gonna take a shot at this & give my main reason for the guess:

1. Bama - Have to replace Ridley & Fitzpatrick but they have plenty of players. Hurts will be a hardened 3rd year starter.

2. Georgia - Like Bama has plenty of players. Losing Chubb & Michelle will hurt though & force Fromm to be better.

3. MSU - Return everybody & add key redshirted JUCO players. Biggest question is schedule & first year head coach Moorhead. Will probably be 5th by media but should be 3rd.

4. Auburn - Could've gone LSU here, but Auburn returns the QB & LSU returns no one that consistently touched the ball. Auburn loses OL.

5. LSU - Should be solid in the trenches & on defense, but who takes Guice's spot & is Brennan any good? Not one player that consistently touched the ball in 2017 is back. All new skill players

6.Florida - Don's first team will be good on defense with Grantham. The offense won't be great, but, after seeing what he did with Tyson Lee's MSU offense, I expect it to be solid. Depending on draft, Florida could have 4 SRs on OL.

7. South Carolina - Will have a SR OL, Bentley back at QB, & a Muschamp defense. They fired their OC, so we'll have to see. They should be pretty good.

8. Texas A&M - I'm fascinated to see how Jimbo gets players that have never run a pro-style offense & weren't recruited to run one, do in a pro-style offense. They were young this year. Losing Kirk will hurt & the defense is likely meh.

9. Ole Miss - The offense should be solid for them next year & we already know they won't quit due to a bowl ban. Defense will be a struggle. Wash, rinse, repeat. They don't have Vandy & KY on the schedule next year. Their season will come down to Texas Tech, Arkansas, South Carolina, & & Texas A&M.

10. Tennessee - I kept looking for someone else to put here, but couldn't find anyone. I think Pruitt's team will be meh. Offense will struggle but defense will be good. Pruitt will have to recruit his way to success. Won't happen in year 1.

11. Mizzou - Really wanted to put them over TN, but couldn't after seeing them without Heupel the other night. Drew Lock is back & so is his OL. Should be sneaky.

12. Arkansas - Mizzou 2.0 except I don't know who their QB will be.

13. Kentucky - I don't know much but they already weren't good & they lose their QB

14. Vandy - Because they are Vandy.

Banned
    vCash

Media's preseason predictions

1) Bammer
    14) Po' lil Mititipi Tate- cause we're from a town called STARKville, where no recruit would wanna go, where all our facilities are 3rd world.....

vCash
    Honestly that is probably how it should be- but look for Auburn and LSU to be above us simply because writer’s have to sell their crap
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Honestly that is probably how it should be- but look for Auburn and LSU to be above us simply because writer’s have to sell their crap
    We need to do a better job recruiting 5 Star side walk alumni.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Completely agree and they’ll blame it on not knowing how good Moorhead will be while completely disregarding that LSU is coached by Ed Orgeron and will have a new OC

Banned
    vCash
    UGA has passed Bama but other than that I Agree for the most part.. I'd put mizzou ahead of ut.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    We need to do a better job recruiting 5 Star side walk alumni.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Jack Lambert again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    UGA has passed Bama but other than that I Agree for the most part.. I'd put mizzou ahead of ut.
    Based on what? They both lost at auburn. They both in playoffs. Georgia stayed healthy. Bama got destroyed at lb with injuries

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Based on what? They both lost at auburn. They both in playoffs. Georgia stayed healthy. Bama got destroyed at lb with injuries
    Won the sec... finished ahead of Bama Crootin.... eye test.

vCash
    1) Better DL
    2) Better LBs (even when Bama's healthy).
    3) Secondary probably a push
    4) Better OL (way better).
    5) Better RBs
    6) Better WR corp (outside Ridley)
    7) Better QB (he can pass mucho better than Hurts. Saban's killing Hurts .. there's a reason he don't throw many picks, he afraid to pass the ball unless receiver has no one around him).

Gawga destroyed us. Bama barely made it out alive. Gawga gonna beat Oklahoma too.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 12-31-2017 at 08:50 PM.

vCash
    I think you have Ole Miss too high and Mizzou too low. I would put Mizzou in Ole Miss's spot. They're a 7 win team with a legit QB. I think Arkansas beats Ole Miss in Fayetteville so I would put them ahead of Ole Miss for that alone. So, Ole Miss then Tennessee although that could go either way. The rest looks good to me.

vCash
    As far as next year that's irrelevant and probably doesn't work in Auburn's favor. They have to go to Georgia and Tuscaloosa with a target on their back. Auburn doesn't play nearly as well away from the Plains. See LSU and SEC Championship Game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    1) Better DL
    5) Better RBs
    7) Better QB (he can pass mucho better than Hurts. Saban's killing Hurts .. there's a reason he don't throw many picks, he afraid to pass the ball unless receiver has no one around him).

Gawga destroyed us. Bama barely made it out alive. Gawga gonna beat Oklahoma too.
    UGA got destroyed at Auburn as well. Everyone got destroyed AT Auburn

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Let the arguing begin!

I'm gonna take a shot at this & give my main reason for the guess:

1. Bama - Have to replace Ridley & Fitzpatrick but they have plenty of players. Hurts will be a hardened 3rd year starter.

2. Georgia - Like Bama has plenty of players. Losing Chubb & Michelle will hurt though & force Fromm to be better.

3. MSU - Return everybody & add key redshirted JUCO players. Biggest question is schedule & first year head coach Moorhead. Will probably be 5th by media but should be 3rd.

4. Auburn - Could've gone LSU here, but Auburn returns the QB & LSU returns no one that consistently touched the ball. Auburn loses OL.

5. LSU - Should be solid in the trenches & on defense, but who takes Guice's spot & is Brennan any good? Not one player that consistently touched the ball in 2017 is back. All new skill players

6.Florida - Don's first team will be good on defense with Grantham. The offense won't be great, but, after seeing what he did with Tyson Lee's MSU offense, I expect it to be solid. Depending on draft, Florida could have 4 SRs on OL.

7. South Carolina - Will have a SR OL, Bentley back at QB, & a Muschamp defense. They fired their OC, so we'll have to see. They should be pretty good.

8. Texas A&M - I'm fascinated to see how Jimbo gets players that have never run a pro-style offense & weren't recruited to run one, do in a pro-style offense. They were young this year. Losing Kirk will hurt & the defense is likely meh.

9. Ole Miss - The offense should be solid for them next year & we already know they won't quit due to a bowl ban. Defense will be a struggle. Wash, rinse, repeat. They don't have Vandy & KY on the schedule next year. Their season will come down to Texas Tech, Arkansas, South Carolina, & & Texas A&M.

10. Tennessee - I kept looking for someone else to put here, but couldn't find anyone. I think Pruitt's team will be meh. Offense will struggle but defense will be good. Pruitt will have to recruit his way to success. Won't happen in year 1.

11. Mizzou - Really wanted to put them over TN, but couldn't after seeing them without Heupel the other night. Drew Lock is back & so is his OL. Should be sneaky.

12. Arkansas - Mizzou 2.0 except I don't know who their QB will be.

13. Kentucky - I don't know much but they already weren't good & they lose their QB

14. Vandy - Because they are Vandy.
    Ok I'll give it a try!
    1.Bama, because it's Bama
    2.Georgia, because they are good
    3.LSU, because it's dark in Death Valley at night
    4.Auburn, because it's Auburn and they cheat better than anybody else in the SEC
    5.Texas A&M, this is what 7.5 million will buy you
    6.Florida, because it's Florida and they have a new coach
    7.South Carolina, if they beat Michigan tomorrow
    8.Tennesee, because it's Tn and they have a new coach
    9.Mississippi State, because they play 12 games and possibly could lose each one
    10.Kentucky, because why not
    11. Missouri, because they will out score some people
    12. Arkansas, because it's going to take a few years to change the personnel
    13. Ole Miss, they won't win an SEC game next year
    14.Vandy, they will bet Ole Miss but lose two non conference games

vCash
    1) Better DL
    5) Better RBs

We played at Georgia and played bama at home. Home field was pretty big this year in the sec...

Georgia killed us
    Auburn beat bama and Georgia
    We beat LSU
    LSU best auburn

Georgia not beating mayfield
    Last edited by msstate7; 12-31-2017 at 09:50 PM.

vCash
    I believe tsun gets Vandy every year like we get Kentucky?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Belegal View Post
    I believe tsun gets Vandy every year like we get Kentucky?
    You are correct vandy is their permanent east opponent.

vCash
    We played at Georgia and played bama at home. Home field was pretty big this year in the sec...

Georgia killed us
    Auburn beat bama and Georgia
    We beat LSU
    LSU best auburn

Georgia not beating mayfield
    I guess you forgetting that Ga then turned it around and beat AU. And while it might have been a much closer game with a healthy KJ, outcome would have been the same IMO. Those 2 teams are close tho when healthy and then both are top 3 in country along with Clemson.

At AU was Fromm's first tough road test and he didn't do too well. They also got a couple of bad breaks, then it snowballed on them.

We'll see on Ok. Bout 4 or 5 times in my life I've went against the very obviously far greater defense in a game like this, and I've regretted each time. I picked Denver over Giants in SB in early 90's cause I thought Elway would be a difference maker. Wrong move. I have been tempted to this time but, when defensive disparity is this great, better D always wins ... unless of course Mayfield does pull a rabbit out of the hat on this one. I also can't see Ok even slowing down the 3 headed monster of Chubb, Michel, and Swift.

I personally can't recall a far greater defensive team ever losing a game like this. And Ok's D isn't even in the same country, much less the same neighborhood as Ga's. If you can think of a game where the D's were this far apart and the worst D won, let me know ... cause I've seriously been trying to think of one and I haven't been able too. I'm not thinking of just any bowl game either, cause nowadays teams sometime show up and don't care ala Bama when not in BCS Champ or playoffs. I'm thinking SBs, BCS Champs, or Playoffs.

vCash
    I guess you forgetting that Ga then turned it around and beat AU. And while it might have been a much closer game with a healthy KJ, outcome would have been the same IMO. Those 2 teams are close tho when healthy and then both are top 3 in country along with Clemson.

At AU was Fromm's first tough road test and he didn't do too well. They also got a couple of bad breaks, then it snowballed on them.

We'll see on Ok. Bout 4 or 5 times in my life I've went against the very obviously far greater defense in a game like this, and I've regretted each time. I picked Denver over Giants in SB in early 90's cause I thought Elway would be a difference maker. Wrong move. I have been tempted to this time but, when defensive disparity is this great, better D always wins ... unless of course Mayfield does pull a rabbit out of the hat on this one. I also can't see Ok even slowing down the 3 headed monster of Chubb, Michel, and Swift.

I personally can't recall a far greater defensive team ever losing a game like this. And Ok's D isn't even in the same country, much less the same neighborhood as Ga's. If you can think of a game where the D's were this far apart and the worst D won, let me know ... cause I've seriously been trying to think of one and I haven't been able too. I'm not thinking of just any bowl game either, cause nowadays teams sometime show up and don't care ala Bama when not in BCS Champ or playoffs. I'm thinking SBs, BCS Champs, or Playoffs.
    I did not forget Georgia turned around and beat auburn in Atlanta... it proved my point that homefield was huge this year in the sec.

About the offensive team beating a much better defensive team... Oklahoma went on the road and beat top 10 defense Ohio State this year. Oklahoma beat top 20 defense tcu twice this year scoring 38 and 41. Also of note, both tcu and Oklahoma were ranked teams that the Oklahoma defense shut down... Ohio State is #6 in country in scoring and tcu is #30. Oklahoma defense seems to play better in big games. Oklahoma state is the obvious example of they do not always show up defensively in the big game though; no idea what happened in that game.

ETA... to tell the truth, no outcome of this game will surprise me. The reason I like Oklahoma is though bc I think they will jump on Georgia early. Georgia has not faced a qb like mayfield or an offense even close to Oklahoma this year. I think Georgia defense will adjust, but it will take a drive or 2. I think Oklahoma jumps them like 14-0 and Georgia panics some.
    Last edited by msstate7; 01-01-2018 at 09:06 AM.

vCash
    I did not forget Georgia turned around and beat auburn in Atlanta... it proved my point that homefield was huge this year in the sec.

About the offensive team beating a much better defensive team... Oklahoma went on the road and beat top 10 defense Ohio State this year. Oklahoma beat top 20 defense tcu twice this year scoring 38 and 41. Also of note, both tcu and Oklahoma were ranked teams that the Oklahoma defense shut down... Ohio State is #6 in country in scoring and tcu is #30. Oklahoma defense seems to play better in big games. Oklahoma state is the obvious example of they do not always show up defensively in the big game though; no idea what happened in that game.

ETA... to tell the truth, no outcome of this game will surprise me. The reason I like Oklahoma is though bc I think they will jump on Georgia early. Georgia has not faced a qb like mayfield or an offense even close to Oklahoma this year. I think Georgia defense will adjust, but it will take a drive or 2. I think Oklahoma jumps them like 14-0 and Georgia panics some.
    I see where you coming from. I think Ga's D and O are way better tho than OSU's or TCU's. I know there D is for sure, regardless of stats. One thing I am concerned with tho is Ga missing their MLB. That may be more of a key loss than I believe it will be.