Thread: Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: Closing out 2017 Edition

vCash

Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: Closing out 2017 Edition

Doing burgers tonight and watching the game tomorrow. No other game plans

vCash
    Got the lady and I a nice strip steak. Gonna serve it with some dauphinoise potatoes and a warm salad of sweet corn, bacon, arugula, and a bacon fat vinaigrette (with sherry wine vinegar).

Drinking some Cold Snap tonight...seems fitting since its 3 degrees outside....

vCash
    Took part in a 3 man limit of mallards this week, so I’m making a duck & deer sausage gumbo tonight. Sipping on some special bourbon too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeckleDawg View Post
    Took part in a 3 man limit of mallards this week, so I’m making a duck & deer sausage gumbo tonight. Sipping on some special bourbon too.

Van Winkle 12.....Might as well have posted a picture of you naked sitting in a Ferrari with 3 or 4 supermodels***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Van Winkle 12.....Might as well have posted a picture of you naked sitting in a Ferrari with 3 or 4 supermodels***
    Lololol. Do it big then Speck

vCash
    Haha. I was quite fortunate to acquire that from a very generous man. Owe him a special bottle, but doubt I can match that.

Gumbo came out pretty good, but should be even better tomorrow around kickoff.

vCash
    Was given some wagyu burgers from the Flora butcher so did those tonight. I gotta be honest, it was a damn good hamburger but it’s a hamburger. I don’t know what they cost but it has to be considerably more than 80/20 chuck. Don’t think I would break out the extra coin for wagyu burgers on burger night. I’d recommend trying it to say you’ve done it but I’m not gonna sit here and act like it changed my life.

vCash
    Steaks, beers, and bourbon with all the buddies for the holidays at Katherine’s. Nothing really like it in Jackson. Good steaks and pretty nice menu at a place that is laid back as hell and had live music. Was a blast. NY Strip, potatoes au gratin, and a Newcastle for dinner.

vCash
    This is the steak and corn/bacon salad from last night...

Tonight I made a classic vichyssoise (aka potato and leek soup), complete with confit cubed potatoes and a 'pomme maxime'....(yes, I am a culinary Francophile...apologies)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    I am a culinary Francophile
    I see that. Nice work though!

vCash
    I had to google Francophile. Not even gonna lie

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Smoked some Coho salmon last night. Simple wet brine for an hour and a half, coat with brown sugar for a nice glaze, then roughly an hour on the smoker at 225 using chunks of cherry wood. Caramelized sweet potatoes and steamed green beans for sides. Miraculously, my three year old ate it up like a champ.

Night cap was Four Roses Single Barrel from my advent calendar. Honestly, I thought it was disappointing. Pretty smooth for 100 proof, but the predominant flavor I got was pain ole oak-tinged alcohol. My palate is admittedly pretty basic, though, so maybe it's just me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prediction? Pain. View Post
    Smoked some Coho salmon last night. Simple wet brine for an hour and a half, coat with brown sugar for a nice glaze, then roughly an hour on the smoker at 225 using chunks of cherry wood. Caramelized sweet potatoes and steamed green beans for sides. Miraculously, my three year old ate it up like a champ.

Night cap was Four Roses Single Barrel from my advent calendar. Honestly, I thought it was disappointing. Pretty smooth for 100 proof, but the predominant flavor I got was pain ole oak-tinged alcohol. My palate is admittedly pretty basic, though, so maybe it's just me.
    You?re not alone. I bought some and was excited to try it. Only to be pretty disappointed as well.

vCash
    Putting a few duck bombs and a duck breast with some bourbon peach sauce on the grill to snack on. Bell?s Cherry Stout - different, but not bad at all.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    You?re not alone. I bought some and was excited to try it. Only to be pretty disappointed as well.
    Glad I'm not the only one. Bummer, but I'm glad I got to try it with a mini bottle instead of shelling out for the full 750 ml.

Putting a few duck bombs and a duck breast with some bourbon peach sauce on the grill to snack on. Bell?s Cherry Stout - different, but not bad at all.
    Dude, your duck dishes sound awesome. I've actually got a bag frozen mallards in my freezer from a friend's dad that I've sitting on. I have no idea what to do with them -- never cooked with duck before. If you've got a minute and feel like sharing a few simple recipe ideas/links sometime, I'd welcome your suggestions. I was thinking maybe something along the lines of a gumbo or sauce piquant could be a easy way to use them, but I really don't know what the hell to do. (Well, there is this nice looking duck recipe in a Frank Stitt cookbook I've got, but I'd prefer something more foolproof for my first rodeo.)

vCash
    I really haven’t cooked with duck much before either, until now. My first attmept was with the gumbo (just found a recipe online that wasn’t too crazy). I thought it was pretty good and hard to mess up other than maybe the roux.

The jalape?o/cream cheese/bacon on the grill is about as easy as it gets, but that would probably be good with even a pine cone inside. I think I may do some fajitas with duck this week. The peach bourbon sauce was a gift, but man that stuff is good and I’ll have to find some more ways to use it soon.