Thread: Christmas Outdoor Swag Thread

vCash

Christmas Outdoor Swag Thread

What is some of the stuff y?all got?

-I participated in a group buy in September and received my 2 rotomolded coolers on the 22nd.
    -Gift cards turned in to 2 Lews Super Duty Speed Spools on falcon rods
    -redfish print buff
    -a wagyu ribeye
    -Fifth of Praline Liqour
    -Big ass box of hands warmer packs
    -Not really outdoor related but it?s mancave related: Framed & autographed Jackie Sherrill pic
    Last edited by BeastMan; 12-30-2017 at 10:54 AM.

vCash
    RTIC 20 soft pack in camo (can never have too many coolers!), nice wader pants, new shoes for fishing and turned a gift card into a pair of Magellan waders.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Four bottles of whisky:

L to R: Belle Meade bourbon, a high-rye, 6 - 8 year old, MGP-sourced, Nashville-bottled whisky that I've heard a lot about but never tried. Dickel 12, the proper flag bearer for TN whisky; always in the cabinet, but never bad gift idea. Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style, the third installment of Old Forrester's "Whisky Row" series, which is some history-focused marketing balderdash. Higher proof than I normally drink (115), but I've read good things. And at the end of the line is Jack Daniels Single Barrel Select. Even as a JD-bashing, Dickel devotee, I've got no problem savoring a bottle of this. It's solid stuff.

In addition to those bottles, I was also the lucky recipient of the best homemade advent calendar ever. On December 1, I came downstairs to find this strung up in our den:

In each of those little stockings was either a sample of some kind of fancy loose leaf tea (I'm a straight-up tea snob) or one of these:

There's some good stuff in that line, and a few things I've been meaning to try for awhile. (There was also a bottle of Canadian Club 12 Year in the mix, but I drank it already. I'd never had any CC product, so I was glad to give it a try. Weird stuff. Super vanilla and smooth, but in a strange, raw rum or moonshine way. Wasn't a fan.) Here's hoping my wife makes this a new yearly tradition.

Only other "outdoor" gifts this year were a couple of books:

The one on the left, The Guide to the Vascular Plants of Tennessee, is a huge reference book for southeastern-botany dorks. The one on the right is the second book by a biologist at the University of the South at Sewanee. I loved his first book -- The Forest Unseen, which I highly recommend to anyone interested in Southern ecology, botany, soil science, or nature writing in general -- and am stoked to dig in to this one.

vCash
    Rolling tool chest and a Jackson Cuda 12 kayak. Pretty stoked. I’ve kayak fished but I’ve never had my own.
    Last edited by Uncle Ruckus; 12-31-2017 at 06:23 PM.

vCash
    You got a great one for your first. I love my Cuda 12. Fishing machine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ruckus View Post
    Rolling tool chest and a Jackson Cuda 12 kayak. Pretty stocked. I’ve kayak fished but I’ve never had my own.
    Nice! Jackson makes a great kayak! Looks like we might need to do an outdoor dog yak fishing meet up one day

vCash
    Prediction, I’m interested in your opinion on that Old Forrester 1920 Prohibition Style. Let us know

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    Prediction, I’m interested in your opinion on that Old Forrester 1920 Prohibition Style. Let us know
    Will do. I'm indifferent about and very rarely drink Old Forester's standard stuff, so my initial reaction to this bottle was a little tempered. After reading up on the stuff, though, I'm much more interested in digging in.

vCash
    I’m ready to get out there. Sheepshead isn’t my favorite, but they are tearing them up at the tressel.
    Beast, hollar at me next time you bring yours down.

vCash
    Sheepshead wrapped in cheesecloth and boiled in crab boil may change your mind about them. Dedamnlicious. In fact, I may have to hit the bridges soon and work on some sheepies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    Nice! Jackson makes a great kayak! Looks like we might need to do an outdoor dog yak fishing meet up one day
    If any of y'all ever need an idea for an off-the-beaten-path long weekend, you should strongly consider a trip to Jackson Kayak's original home base in Rock Island, Tennessee. It's a waterfall, whitewater, and fishing wonderland about an hour and a half north of Chattanooga. (Jackson started off in Rock Island back in the day, tough they're now a half hour up the road in Sparta, TN.) Here's one of the owners of Jackson giving his take (mostly via photos) on the area:

http://jacksonkayak.com/blog/2014/03...fishing-mecca/

If you don't want to click through, just take my camera's word for it:

For a sense of scale, look for the red-shirted dude in the left side of the picture.

Awesome, awesome place.

vCash
    That’s an incredible looking paddle. I’ve wanted to do the Devils River in TX one day, but TN may be an option now too.

vCash
    I enjoy sheepshead, I’m not one of the guys who toss them. But, I’ve never targeted them. I may have to try that boil though. You do potatoes and corn too?

vCash
    Sometimes I do the corn and potatoes, but usually I do it by itself and put on top of a steak. It comes out just like crabmeat. Crumbling and all.

vCash
    Damn. Just damn. I will be doing that for sure.