Thread: Fitz and Moorhead offense

vCash

Fitz and Moorhead offense

Fitz really fit the Mullen offense, but how does he fit the Moorhead offense? I was surprised to see penn State QBs ran the ball 159 times last season; State QBs ran the ball 207 times. State QBs threw the ball 332 times; penn State QBs threw the ball 413 times. So State QBs threw the ball 1.60 times to every qb run. Penn State QBs threw the ball 2.60 times to every qb run. Do you expect Moorhead to continue this or to you expect to continue seeing fitz run a ton?

State ran the ball 579 times and threw the ball 333 times. Penn state ran the ball 413 times and threw the ball 417 times. State ran the ball 63.5% of the time. Penn state ran the ball 49.8% of the time. If Moorhead wants to stay a 50/50 run/pass team, does this make fitz less effective?

vCash
    Yep .. nope .. nope.
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    I do think Fitz fits Moorehead's offense.

I think we are going to throw the ball more in part because I do think Moorhead likes to throw the ball more, but also because we have the personnel to be more diverse. Our WR's were not very productive but we have boosted that unit up through recruiting plus we get Dear back. Plus, unlike Dan I doubt Moorhead is just going to automatically give Jesse Jackson and Jamal Couch started reps because they are upperclassmen. I think we will see our best guys play- which will make us more productive. And that means Heath and Whop could see a lot of action and maybe even start. Guidry too. Todd, Couch, and Jackson give us some more solid WR's for Fitz to work with as well. We also have veteran TE's and a veteran offensive line as well.

I've always believed personally that the more diverse you are, the more productive you are. So, because I think we will be able to throw the ball better it will back safeties out of the box which will allow guys like Aeris and Fitz to be more productive when they run the ball. And it goes both ways because if we're able to run the ball well teams are going to have to make a decision on how they want to defend us and if they leave our receivers in match-ups that favor us, hopefully we can exploit them. So, being able to throw the ball will only make Fitz more effective. Because let's say we're in third and four. Teams aren't going to know if we're going to throw it to one of our WR's, our TE, use Dear as a receiver or as a back, run it with Aeris or Hill or let Nick run it. With Dan it was pretty much QB run or RB running with the ball more often than not last year. That's a big reason why Dan would call a QB draw or run on 3rd and 8 and it didn't work late in the year- because there was no reason to fear or respect our receivers. So, everyone key in on the QB.

vCash
    I think the new offense is similar to the old except, 1) we will take more downfield shots, and 2) we?ll have more creative wrinkles.

vCash
    1) Less designed runs for the QB, so we have a greater chance to keep whoever it is upright and healthy.

2) Stretch the field vertically through the air better than Don Merlins ever did.

I’m looking forward to it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    1) Less designed runs for the QB, so we have a greater chance to keep whoever it is upright and healthy.

2) Stretch the field vertically through the air better than Don Merlins ever did.

I’m looking forward to it.
    I think you are right. With a much more diverse pass route tree and probably more RPO's.

vCash
    I think coach Moorhead is a smart enough coach to let his personnel dictate scheme and not the other way around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    I think coach Moorhead is a smart enough coach to let his personnel dictate scheme and not the other way around.
    Our personnel should fit his scheme well so I don't think there will be a ton of adjustments or holes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    This should be correct. I mean, he invented his vaunted offense in one offseason to make up for the fact that his star QB at Fordham messed up his knee and wasn?t as mobile.

vCash
    With the receivers we have coming in, we should likely be more balanced this year for that reason plus Moorhead getting the RBs involved in the passing game more than Dan did. From what I understand, Moorhead likes to have a reliable vertical passing game to take the top off the defense and open up space for other things. If Fitz can develop the touch needed to force defenses to respect that, he?s going to have plenty of opportunity to make things happen with his legs - maybe he won?t be a workhorse the keep the D honest, but big play opportunity will be there - he?s too fast and strong not to have mismatch issues. If he can make those deep throws into true 50/50 situations (they really weren?t this year) even those incomplete passes are going to open up some space for big plays other ways.

vCash
    As good as Fitz was at running the football,just think how good he will be when the other team does not know when he is going to run it,9-10 qb runs at the right times will be just as effective as 25 qb powers and i think less hits on fitz will help his passing.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Most of the passing plays I?ve seen from Moorhead?s Offense are basically flips in the flats and bubbles. Essentially an extension of the running game.

If Fitz can work on his touch passing, our offense will be unstoppable next season. Hopefully the new WR signees can learn quickly and get on the field. At least now they won?t have to wait a couple seasons to play now that Don has departed.

vCash
    Moorhead has proven to be an offensive guy. Im not worried at all about our production on offense esp with the talent we have for Mo'head

vCash
    Penny State’s reads were top down even pre-snap some. They test teams deep. It’s why I keep saying Fitz throwing the nine is the key to the season next year. We have to be accurate with that pass in JoMos offense.

vCash
    Mullen didn't seem to like RB's too much either.

vCash
    Fitz will have more WR targets this year. Get his percentage passing up along with his running ability after rehab along with the RB, goodness this could be fun.