Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cohen hires a VB Coach

vCash

Cohen hires a VB Coach

Not normally big news, but as bad as our VB team has been hopefully Cohen got it right on this one. Looks like another hell of a hire. http://www.djournal.com/sports/darty...60c370120.html

vCash
    She seems like a great hire. I don't know anything about volleyball other than what little I played in intramurals but reading over that seems like she has a great mixture of experience. I know recruiting is a big issue with MSU since MS probably produces zero SEC level players. Hopefully she can remedy that.

Banned
    vCash
    The former coach had an incredible resume'.. in just not sure we can win at volleyball. We need to have a gymnastics team. That is on every of the fastest growing things in ms. There are tons of gym talent in our state.

vCash
    MSU football used to be a coaching graveyard but MSU volleyball has firmly taken its’ place.

vCash
    Tough state to recruit volleyball players.

vCash
    Fatch had a great resume but came from a weaker conference. All of his players hated him and he had 2/3 of his team transfer after the season last year. I dated a girl that was on the team his first year and she absolutely hated him; as did the whole team.

vCash

We could hire Misty May and Kerri Walsh and still not compete in volleyball.

Schools have only begun playing v'ball in the last few years and it's not a sport of emphasis or great popularity. Just not enough interest or talent in this State to be competitive in that sport.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    I think there is talent in MS that we should be able to build a program with. Seems like a lot of very talented young women are choosing volleyball over basketball these days. As preacher said above, volleyball and gymnastics are fast growing sports these days and we are conspicuous by our absence in them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Tough state to recruit volleyball players.
    Recruiting is certainly a challenge but it can be done...just takes the right person. Volleyball is such a great sport and almost all schools with excellent athletic programs are competitive in the sport. Final four this year: Nebraska, Florida, Penn State, Stanford

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    I think Miss. could be a good state for volleyball talent. Everyone likes volleyball at that age. It's a fun game to play. A good way to get the ball rolling would be for our coach and his assistants to spend some time promoting it through the high schools and taking the time to actually have some coaching clinics to teach the basics of coaching. This would help possibly sparking interest throughout the high schools and entrenching our coaches with the high schools and its coaches when/if they produced some prospects. It won't happen overnight, but you have to start somewhere.

vCash
    The new coach should be able to pull some talent out of Florida, whereas the last two coaches have seemingly focused mostly on Texas.

I could be off base on the number of players from Texas as I?ve not paid a whole lot of attention. Regardless, you?re not getting D1 players from MS.
    Leicester Till I Die

vCash
    Pics?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dickiedawg View Post
    The new coach should be able to pull some talent out of Florida, whereas the last two coaches have seemingly focused mostly on Texas.

I could be off base on the number of players from Texas as I?ve not paid a whole lot of attention. Regardless, you?re not getting D1 players from MS.
    There is a girl from the coast that is playing at Purdue(toughest conference for women's VB in country) right now and I understand she could have gone wherever she wanted. Another on scholarship at Tulane and another that went to South Alabama not too long ago that went to Europe and played pro for a while, so I wouldn't say there none in MS.

Banned
    vCash
    Add a beach volleyball program and a men's soccer team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by civildawg View Post
    Pics?
    LOL

vCash
    How much do we pay volleyball coaches?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    LOL
    Don't laugh at him...a lot of those women VB players are thoroughbreds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MCsMGs View Post
    This particular one fills that bill ... pretty easy on the eyes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MCsMGs View Post
    I'm laughing with him, not at him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Add a beach volleyball program and a men's soccer team
    Men's soccer is never going to happen. Title 9 and no reason to piss away more money on a money sucking program