Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I Would Like To Send Out A Personal Thank You To Kirby Smart

vCash

I Would Like To Send Out A Personal Thank You To Kirby Smart

Dear Kirby,

Thanks bud! I'm not sure how you did it. I'm not sure how you landed the #1 recruiting class in the country with 6 5 star recruits in it, which matches the total of 5 stars signed by all other SEC schools & exceeds that of the Big 10. I'm not sure how you managed to land the #1 QB in the country which in no way fits your offense & will have to sit behind an already entrenched starter Jake Fromm. Again, I have no idea how you pulled this off, but thanks!

See, due to your outstanding work, Alabama, LSU, & Auburn signed a combined 1 5* recruit yesterday. Just 1, &, if you can repeat this performance for a few years in a row, you will dramatically help teams like Mississippi State contend for the SEC West. For anyone that knows much about recruiting & evaluation, you already know the huge difference between teams with legitimate 5* players & teams with a bunch of 4*s. Take guys like Minkah Fitzpatrick, Daron Payne & other 5* recruits off Bama & what do you have? You have a team with really good players running bland, risk averse schemes on both sides of the ball. Yesterday, Alabama finished #5 in recruiting, Auburn 10, & LSU 15. Auburn will likely be fine due to Gus' innovative offense but I believe, due to Alabama & LSU's style of play, they will have significant issues if they don't get elite, 5*, difference making players all over the field. They'll still be really good, but not quite the same. Much more beatable & less overwhelming

Again, yesterday wasn't the end all, be all & it will take another year or 2 of Kirby doing what he did yesterday for it to really impact Bama's roster, but we may look back in 3 years & realize that yesterday was the first crack in the Saban dynasty. There are only so many 5*, elite talents in the country & yesterday Georgia horded them at the expense of Alabama & Auburn.

Thank goodness Georgia is off the schedule for a while & may the Kirbs continue to recruit this way. I'll gladly let UGA whip our ass every 8 years if they'll recruit like this & lower the talent level of Bama, Auburn, & LSU.

Thanks Kirbs!

'Gun
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 12-21-2017 at 09:52 AM.

vCash
    Now we need taggert to get rolling at FSU for our old buddy Mullen

vCash

How about this....

How about we get better instead of hoping everyone else gets worse. How about we up our recruiting game and sign some 5 stars ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Dear Kirby,
    See, due to your outstanding work, Alabama, LSU, & Auburn signed a combined 1 5* recruit yesterday. Just 1, &, if you can repeat this performance for a few years in a row, you will dramatically help teams like Mississippi State contend for the SEC West.

'Gun

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GoToHellOleMiss View Post
    How about we get better instead of hoping everyone else gets worse. How about we up our recruiting game and sign some 5 stars ourselves.
    Bc some of us live in reality and know we cannot land top 5 classes year-in, year-out

vCash
    Great question.

Here is the issue: 5* don't grow on trees & most don't grow up in Mississippi. Many grow up in the Atlanta, Miami, Dallas, Houston, etc metro areas & are simply outside of our recruiting reach.

Don't get me wrong, I certainly hope that one day MSU can go outside of Mississippi & compete to sign 5* recruits, but that day isn't today & won't ever come unless we start becoming a contender to go to ATL or cheat our ass off like OM.

So, at this time, the best way for MSU to compete for the West is for Bama, Auburn, & LSU to be knocked back a little.

We sign & have a bunch of 4*s on our roster, &, if Bama, Auburn, & LSU are signing less 5*s, then there is a better chance that the 40 guys we play in a game are much more equal to their 40 guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Bc some of us live in reality and know we cannot land top 5 classes year-in, year-out
    This, we simply don't have the population within our local recruiting footprint to support these types of classes.

If MSU can continue to recruit between 18-25, over a 5 year period, we should have close to 30-40 4* or better recruits on our roster. If you play 40 guys in a game & have 30 4*s on your roster, then the talent level between your 40 players & Bama's, LSU, & Auburn's 40 players in not that dramatic. Particularly if you can coach up some 3 stars into 4* caliber producers.

Your at least within the range that quality coaching allows you to beat them.

vCash
    And for reference our class that we signed yesterday is ranked anywhere between 17 and 21. So not much different than LSU's 15. And we need to keep in mind we are constantly underrated.

vCash
    The Dawgs to our east are my 2nd fav now. I like Kirby and hope he kicks some Mullen, Saban, and Malzahn butt for years to come. The only time I want them to lose now is against us if we somehow meet in SEC Title game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    The Dawgs to our east are my 2nd fav now. I like Kirby and hope he kicks some Mullen, Saban, and Malzahn butt for years to come. The only time I want them to lose now is against us if we somehow meet in SEC Title game.
    No doubt. The rise of Georgia is awesome.

They play Auburn every year & are stealing recruits from Bama

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Because we are and always will be "woe is me" fans who think we will never get 5 stars. What in the world did teams do before players were given stars by their name?
    No Signature

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    Because we are and always will be "woe is me" fans who think we will never get 5 stars. What in the world did teams do before players were given stars by their name?
    You right. We should be beating bama, Georgia, and Clemson for 5-stars out of state. No excuse for us not pillaging Florida, Texas, and California for 5-stars. We are miss state and we are the biggest sleeping giant in the country!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    Do you kind of have to build up to this?

And for the record, I think we are building up to this. Getting guys like Whop & Mayden are big steps forward towards one day landing out of state 5 stars, but it's a process, or at least should be.

The biggest thing we have to do is to continue to grow our fan base & make MSU a team that the media wants & invests time in covering. We simply lack the media coverage at this time to build the necessary brand to get out of state 5 star caliber players.

vCash
    You right. We should be beating bama, Georgia, and Clemson for 5-stars out of state. No excuse for us not pillaging Florida, Texas, and California for 5-stars. We are miss state and we are the biggest sleeping giant in the country!
    It seems like Clemson had a average ranking of around 15 with the team that won the National Title. If you can average around that then you can compete with just about anyone.

vCash
    Let's remember that recruiting is by no means over this year. Yes, UGA will have those 5-stars no matter what and that is a good thing. But it's not nearly over for those top schools.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    It seems like Clemson had a average ranking of around 15 with the team that won the National Title. If you can average around that then you can compete with just about anyone.
    Good point. That is an attainable goal. Seems they did it by getting the right qb, surrounding him with great WRs, and having a top flight DC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Let's remember that recruiting is by no means over this year. Yes, UGA will have those 5-stars no matter what and that is a good thing. But it's not nearly over for those top schools.
    Especially since a lot of the schools probably want to make a splash in February to excite their fans. This is just the first year with the new signing period so that may and probably will change to teams wanting to make a splash in both December and February.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    True. Not many 5 stars are left. Hopefully UGA signs more

vCash
    Good point. That is an attainable goal. Seems they did it by getting the right qb, surrounding him with great WRs, and having a top flight DC
    It just boils down to playmakers. You have to get a good QB and have some game breakers around him. Then having a good DC with a good defense that will keep you in games. A lot of the times it is one play like Ridley getting open across the middle for a game winning TD.

vCash
    Love this thread. I want UGA to stockpile all of the southern talent in Athens. We only play them every 8 years. It makes us more likely to compete for the west, which is our program's goal right now. If/when we get to Atlanta, we'll get killed by UGA, but that's fine. Delivering another west championship to Starkville is the goal right now.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Wish in one hand and shit in the other and see which fills up faster.