Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Marcus Murphy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    They missed on a number of guys this year.

Murphy should be a 93-94
    Heath should be a 95
    Jason is about right
    K Johnson should be a 92
    Jett Johnson should be an 89-90
    Carvin is about right.
    Cumbest should be an 89-90

Off the top of my head, all these guys are underrated.
    Jett Johnson is right, he wasnt the hardest player to deal with on their defense. 48 was

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I thought everyone was skeptical of taking cumbest. He must have killed it at the ms-al game
    He did kill it and hes got big time ball skills. He can go up and get it, caught several prayer balls in the state championship vs Noxubee that were dying ducks turned them into big gains

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Jett Johnson is right, he wasnt the hardest player to deal with on their defense. 48 was
    That may be true, but his measurables + his late interest from Bama and OM lead me to believe there is real ability there.

You would know better than me if that ability was being maximized or not at Tupelo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    You shut your whore mouth!!! That helmet on that table is best we have ever had.
    This made me laugh...thanks for injecting some humor!!

On topic - Welcome Mr. Murphy!

vCash
    That may be true, but his measurables + his late interest from Bama and OM lead me to believe there is real ability there.

You would know better than me if that ability was being maximized or not at Tupelo.
    I think Johnson is a DL in the SEC. Just my opinion, not saying he's not a good player or that he didnt make tackles against us, I just think he lacks footspeed to play SEC LB. Now, I thought the same thing about Erroll Thompson when we signed him but he obviously proved me wrong

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Murphy should be mid 4*

Malik will get a chance to show if he's elite in Orlando

I think Whop is elite & should be a 95. Lacks top end speed but has everything else. Think AJ Brown

Dolla has the highest ceiling of maybe any recruit I've seen in the past 5-10yrs but I won't be surprised if he struggles in Orlando. He doesn't have much technique in Pass Pro & those quick DE's will eat him. It will be a great learning tool for him & he'll learn from it. If he holds his own down there he's a 95-97

Jett is a high 3* he doesn't do anything great just everything well I'm fine where he's at

Carvin is a 90-91 kid plays nasty & can move

Cumbest has all the tools but is very raw. He didn't run any routes just threw jump balls to him. High 3* is fine with me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Murphy should be mid 4*

I think Whop is elite & should be a 95. Lacks top end speed but has everything else. Think AJ Brown

Dolla has the highest ceiling of maybe any recruit I've seen in the past 5-10yrs but I won't be surprised if he struggles in Orlando. He doesn't have much technique in Pass Pro & those quick DE's will eat him. It will be a great learning tool for him & he'll learn from it. If he holds his own down there he's a 95-97

Jett is a high 3* he doesn't do anything great just everything well I'm fine where he's at

Cumbest has all the tools but is very raw. He didn't run any routes just threw jump balls to him. High 3* is fine with me
    Agreed on all points. Dolla bill got outquicked one play in the MS/AL game, next play though he got his hands on the kid and pancaked him. It was good to see

vCash
    Murphy should be mid 4*

Do you think the recruiting sites will have apathy towards raising the rating of players that have already signed?

I can agree with all you said. I agree Dolla has an elite ceiling but I said a 92 rating due to how raw he is. Once he redshirts and watches for a year, he should have every chance to start and be an elite LT as a RS sophomore
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 12-19-2017 at 02:27 PM.

vCash
    Murphy should be mid 4*

Totally agree on Cumbest. One of the games I watched him play, he kept pushing off a 5'10" CB instead of just out jumping him for the ball. He also dropped 2-3 that hit him in the hands. They threw him about 8 jump balls that game and I want to say he only came down with a couple. 3 at the most. He has the size and is athletic, but he needs a lot of coaching when it comes to technique, route running, and just football IQ in general. I think he is a project with really high upside.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Do you think the recruiting sites will have apathy towards raising the rating of players that have already signed?

I can agree with all you said. I agree Dolla has an elite ceiling but I said a 92 rating due to how raw he is. Once he redshirts and watches for a year, he should have every chance to start and be an elite LT as a RS sophomore
    If they see them again in all star games yea.

vCash
    I'm glad they're underrated. I want a whole team full of very talented, underrated guys that carry a chip on their shoulder and have something to prove.

vCash
    MM is all bulldawg through and through. Who cares what he is rated, he will be ready to wreck shop on everybody in the maroon and white.

vCash
    I've read where he may play CB. Thoughts?
    BTW, I read that on a pay site.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sscjr1 View Post
    If Peters can handle CB, Murphy will have no problem.

vCash
    PAY SITE!!!!!!

vCash

vCash
    I think our guys are underrated in part because:

1. The recruiting web sites are lazy.

2. We don't have enough fans that are "in to" recruiting at crazy levels to the point where we have a lot of fans calling out their evaluators.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    You shut your whore mouth!!! That helmet on that table is best we have ever had.
    I'm with you 13 I don't like the MSJ helment either. Mate better by a long shot!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think our guys are underrated in part because:

1. The recruiting web sites are lazy.

2. We don't have enough fans that are "in to" recruiting at crazy levels to the point where we have a lot of fans calling out their evaluators.
    I’m gonna slightly disagree here. I think our guys are mostly underrated due to the mechanics of recruiting. Follow me here.

- Programs only have a finite number of days that they can be on the road to recruit.
    - Therefore, It makes most sense to concentrate most of your recruiting in high population areas where your coaches can meet with and evaluate more prospects within the finite number of days.
    - Thus players from high population areas get more offers and also get more media attention due to proximity to media outlets.
    - It’s well known that Mississippi players mostly stay close to home, so what’s the point in investing time and effort to recruit them?
    - It’s human nature for most evaluators to become more comfortable in being aggressive with a players rating when others agree with him.
    - Offers and media attention = evaluators being more aggressive with that players rating.

I don’t think there is a grand conspiracy against MSU recruiting but rather actual logistical and economical problems that prevent Mississippi players from getting the attention and respect they deserve. It’s also a very difficult thing for the recruiting services to fix.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I cannot understand how Marcus isn't a high 4*. There's some recruiting analysts missed the boat on Marcus!
    While that is very true, I'd just assume all our recruits are rated as a 1. Let everyone have their fun. A leader knows who is best for the mission/assignment/project. That is what ultimately counts. Mullen, for all his faults, saw the potential in Dak, Fitz, Bear, Ballard, Chris Jones, and many when others were star gazing at the next thug needing a trip to Hati.

I'm betting that after a spring practice with this coach, he'll have a better feel for who he needs to lead this team from a player standpoint as well as a coaching standpoint. Our kids now have instilled in them through Mullen that leadership must accompany talent or talent is wasted. I think that will mean that Moorhead has some decent heads and hearts to mold.

After hearing my nephew who was a trainer under Mullen describe the way he evaluated, I'm encouraged if a coach COMPLETELY ignores the star system that these websites use and uses their own set of criteria to measure by.

The bama bump isnt a freak occurance. It is what all decent reporters use to measure whether a kid is worth coveting. But just like golf swing advice from Ben Hogan, it is taylored to the needs of the person giving it. Bama recruits ITS needs, not msu's. Ben Hogan gave advice on what worked with HIS swing. Not yours.

It's time our fans looked at recruiting much more pragmatically. That is to say in the rearview mirror and not whether we are rated highly that year. What's funny is that we already know this to be true. The recruiting classes that went to Atlanta were hardly thought of highly at the time. But they were beasts. Good Lord, we had a redshirt freshman get us there.

Fitz is a phenomenal athlete and leader with a pretty tough chin. But Keyton is going to grow into this offense and achieve higher highs one day.

Murphy is a MASSIVE get for our program during change. But for many reasons other than a star rating. He's that hometown kid.