Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Atlanta Hartsfield airport shut down

vCash

OT: Atlanta Hartsfield airport shut down

Big power outage over that way. World's busiest airport that processes 275,000 passengers a day is shut down for a while. That'll be a huge impact all over the US, maybe even the world. Haven't heard the reason for the outage.

vCash
    A major headache for Delta and to a lesser extent, Southwest.

vCash
    That?s gonna be a nightmare. I?m glad I?m not traveling today.

vCash
    I am currently sitting on a plane here in ATL. Landed 2 hours ago from CDG Paris France, and suppose to be at GTR at 8:05 tonight. It is the damned site to see hundreds of planes that have landed sitting all over the runways and tarmacs. We are told that a contractor cut the main power source and even the lines for the back up generators around 1:00 EST All of the airport is dark. It will be a Horror Show going through customs and TSA. I am not getting out tonight GTR flight is now canceled. This sucks!!!!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Howboutdemdogs View Post
    I am currently sitting on a plane here in ATL. Landed 2 hours ago from CDG Paris France, and suppose to be at GTR at 8:05 tonight. It is the damned site to see hundreds of planes that have landed sitting all over the runways and tarmacs. We are told that a contractor cut the main power source and even the lines for the back up generators around 1:00 EST All of the airport is dark. It will be a Horror Show going through customs and TSA. I am not getting out tonight GTR flight is now canceled. This sucks!!!!!!
    That sounds awful man. I’ve been in some bad jams at the airport before but never anything like that. It’s going to be a nightmare deplaning everyone alone.

vCash
    To top it off, all the hotels will be filled too. If you ever are able to get off the plane ....

vCash
    Dam surprised no one has done it but i will start. I heard that General Esprinza is landing there and John MClain isn't too happy about it.

vCash
    Just saw that they are evacuating the airport. Where the hell are all those people going to go? I?m sure there are not enough hotel rooms and no rental cars left either if someone wanted to just drive it instead of waiting.
    I?m sure people are stuck in many airports because of Atlanta. What a nightmare.

vCash
    All the flights in and out are canceled for the evening.

If it's true that a contractor cut the main lines, that company could be in for quite a fine.

Evacuating doesn't make a lot of sense either. As LC says ... what are they supposed to do? Assuming the 275,000 people a day go through there, there are probably 100K with nowhere to go. They can't stay inside, and it's fairly chilly outside, so what do they do? And probably several thousand work there. It's got to be mass chaos.

Gotta wonder if there's a possibility that the outage is terrorist related.

vCash
    When 911 hit, I was in Houston, TX. I thought that was bad,,, but this is really awful. I still have to deplane, go through customs, pick up my luggage. As of now at 7:00 PM EST, I am still on the plane. Been sitting here over 3-1/2 hours. When I got a notification from Delta of flight cancellation, I booked a rental so I can I will start heading West. The bad thing is that I have been working out the country, and I fly out Tuesday for work again here in the States. I have been been on this leg and plane for 14 hours,,,,the other leg last night was 9 hours from Mumbai, India. Man, I am ready for a shower and 17 Southern Meal with cornbread and gravy!!!!!

vCash
    I've got 2 friends on a flight there. They've been stuck on the runway for 4 hours already, and were just informed it will be at least another 6 hours.....****. That. Noise.

vCash
    If I?m stuck on a plane on the ground for more than an hour and they won?t serve me alcohol I?m faking a heart attack. Or creating a disturbance and getting arrested. I probably need to research which would be less expensive.

vCash
    When 911 hit, I was in Houston, TX. I thought that was bad,,, but this is really awful. I still have to deplane, go through customs, pick up my luggage. As of now at 7:00 PM EST, I am still on the plane. Been sitting here over 3-1/2 hours. When I got a notification from Delta of flight cancellation, I booked a rental so I can I will start heading West. The bad thing is that I have been working out the country, and I fly out Tuesday for work again here in the States. I have been been on this leg and plane for 14 hours,,,,the other leg last night was 9 hours from Mumbai, India. Man, I am ready for a shower and 17 Southern Meal with cornbread and gravy!!!!!
    Don't know about the shower, but since you'll be driving through west Georgia and central Alabama, there's plenty of opportunity for cornbread and gravy on the way back. Problem is ... with the power outage, how do you check out a car?

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Why do they not just let them off the damn plane. No idea why they must stay on the plane.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    If I?m stuck on a plane on the ground for more than an hour and they won?t serve me alcohol I?m faking a heart attack. Or creating a disturbance and getting arrested. I probably need to research which would be less expensive.
    Lol.

I asked if the bar was made available at no charge....the answer was "no".....that's cold blooded.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Why do they not just let them off the damn plane. No idea why they must stay on the plane.
    The terminal requires power to operate the ramps and stuff. I guess they could just let them off on the runway, but I'd wager there are some regulations preventing that, lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Security? No electricity so the jet bridges to get into the terminal probably don't work. And you have to be supervised to deplane on the tarmac. Plus, there are only so many gates. Probably lots of planes far from the terminals.

I sat on two planes in Dallas one time for over 6 hours each trying to get to Seattle. "Equipment problems" both times. Got off the first plane after 6 hours to get on another flight, got on the next one and another 6 hours on the taxiway. I have no idea why they didn't bring us back in to the terminal. No gate space I suppose. Left Huntsville at 5:30 a.m., got to Seattle after midnight. 22 hours considering time zone changes.

vCash
    Local NBC news in ATL reporting that GA Power says power will be restored by midnight.

vCash
    Praying for ya man. I got stuck in Detroit airport one time coming back from japan. It sucked. Stay safe.

Banned
    vCash
    https://twitter.com/ATLairport?ref_s...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Reminds me of the fire under I-85 that straight shut the city down for a few days.
    Last edited by 5049; 12-17-2017 at 08:53 PM.