Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
If I remember correctly McCorvey had cancer and had to miss a few game in 2008. I assume that's what he is talking about.

My take on Sylvester Croom:

Outstanding running backs coach.

Bad head coach.

Edit to say- I don't hate the guy. He brought some good publicity to our program when we needed it because the media HATED Jackie and I think it caused our program to get run down some- see the 1999 season. 2007 honestly was fun as hell. I don't care if we were lucky or not- we won the games and that's all that matters at the end of the day.

At the same time I don't think he left us in super great shape when he left. He basically got us through probation and allowed us to buy time while our athletic department shifted with some leadership changes- and he won a few nice games here in there in the meantime. He was a good placeholder I suppose.
Croom left Mullen with the talent to win 9 games in 2010 with guys on campus or committed at the time. Up until this year's Oline, Croom left Hev with a better line than Hev recruited in the entire 9 years Dan was here. Croom just didn't know how to run a college offense. He only knew how to run a West Coast Offense that is too complicated for guys to grasp in the few hours per week that they can work on it. Croom wasn't truly cut out to be a head coach but he didn't do a horrible job with the situation he took over.

With that said, Mullen left us in a lot better place than when he got here. He strengthened the foundation of blue collar hard work that Croom started. Next year should be the best team with the exception of 2014 in the last 20 years. Coach JoeMo inherits a great situation in that he could possibly win 10 games his first year.