Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Croom

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash

Croom

I was just watching the old SEC storied episode about croom. He made a statement that I didn't understand. He was listing all the players he lost going into and during his last season at state. He then said "and we lost our offensive coordinator". What is he talking about. I rewound it to make sure he didn't say defensive and he didn't. He said offensive
    Romans 5:8

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Not really sure if he ever had one.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Yeah, can't lose something you never had.

Our Pretentious Preacher preachermatt83's Avatar
    vCash
    Seriously, he never lost an OC did he? Wasn't woody with him from start to finish.
    Romans 5:8

vCash
    Have watched a couple of times but didn't pay attention this time tonight. I had a thought while it was on (until I changed it), Do you think he would have been successful at bama if they had hired him instead of Shula (and their not hiring him should have told us something!). When I think of him I think of: 1. Dropping Nike for Russell Athletic 2. Making our uni's look like bama-west 3. Having players in the campus shootout, even Jackie never had this 4. His , "Well, I didn't see that coming", remark after UNM skulldrug us 5. Falling asleep on the player's family couch on a recruiting visit 6. "Coaching" from a golf cart at practice 7. Being a career NFL running backs coach before and after us (how hard is that job?) and 7. and last but not least, more stubborn about Woody than Dan about the "country club. His time at State was seriously over-rated
    P.S. Nearly getting Omar Conner killed against LSU.
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 12-14-2017 at 10:22 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    Seriously, he never lost an OC did he? Wasn't woody with him from start to finish.
    IIRC Woody was MIA for a lot of 2008.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    Have watched a couple of times but didn't pay attention this time tonight. I had a thought while it was on (until I changed it), Do you think he would have been successful at bama if they had hired him instead of Shula (and their not hiring him should have told us something!). When I think of him I think of: 1. Dropping Nike for Russell Athletic 2. Making our uni's look like bama-west 3. Having players in the campus shootout, even Jackie never had this 4. His , "Well, I didn't see that coming", remark after UNM skulldrug us 5. Falling asleep on the player's family couch on a recruiting visit 6. "Coaching" from a golf cart at practice 7. Being a career NFL running backs coach before and after us (how hard is that job?) and 7. and last but not least, more stubborn about Woody than Dan about the "country club. His time at State was seriously over-rated
    All that said, a lot of his former players won't utter a negative word about him. That means a lot as well.

Banned
    vCash
    Maybe he misspoke. We lost Ellis Johnson his last year and the year before that Shane Beamer.

vCash
    He also said he knew Maine was better than us. Also said said you could sign a quality WRs on any corner in Miami, but he never did. He also didn't use all his in home visits. If he hadn't got Omarr injured against LSU we would have won our next 2 games and went to a bowl. If Croom could fade away and never be mentioned again that would be great.

vCash
    That Henig - Tyson Chicken QB tandem has to be the worst I’ve ever seen in SEC play. They made Freddy Kitchen look like a baller

Maybe he is trying to cover for Woody, so he Can get a junior high job somewhere

Seriously, is Henig or Tyson even a scout team QB in 2017?

Banned
    vCash
    Henig is a good dude. He used to go to a bunch of the baseball games and sit in LFL and was always nice. Croom's entire offense besides the RBs was atrocious. It's not like John Parker Wilson at Bama was much better than Henig he just had 10 other NFL players on the offense with him. Henig had two.

vCash
    If I remember correctly McCorvey had cancer and had to miss a few game in 2008. I assume that's what he is talking about.

My take on Sylvester Croom:

Outstanding running backs coach.

Bad head coach.

Edit to say- I don't hate the guy. He brought some good publicity to our program when we needed it because the media HATED Jackie and I think it caused our program to get run down some- see the 1999 season. 2007 honestly was fun as hell. I don't care if we were lucky or not- we won the games and that's all that matters at the end of the day.

At the same time I don't think he left us in super great shape when he left. He basically got us through probation and allowed us to buy time while our athletic department shifted with some leadership changes- and he won a few nice games here in there in the meantime. He was a good placeholder I suppose.
    Last edited by Todd4State; 12-15-2017 at 01:25 AM.

Banned
    vCash
    I am not a Croom fan AT ALL and here's why. He exploited our insecurity as a fanbase to his advantage to justify being a lazy recruiter, to give himself more job security and for it to be ok to have a terrible offense. He made excuses and constantly touted having the decks tilted against him and MSU. We didn't have that with Jackie. We had swagger and weren't afraid to play anybody with Sherrill. We beat teams up with Jackie and rocked the Dawg Pound Rock proudly. Croom brought out the Po Ol Miss State attitude in our fans. It still festers in some to this day. **** Croom he sucks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    I am not a Croom fan AT ALL and here's why. He exploited our insecurity as a fanbase to his advantage to justify being a lazy recruiter, to give himself more job security and for it to be ok to have a terrible offense. He made excuses and constantly touted having the decks tilted against him and MSU. We didn't have that with Jackie. We had swagger and weren't afraid to play anybody with Sherrill. We beat teams up with Jackie and rocked the Dawg Pound Rock proudly. Croom brought out the Po Ol Miss State attitude in our fans. It still festers in some to this day. **** Croom he sucks.
    That's one thing I credit Don for. He wasn't about letting someone think we couldn't compete. In his opening press conference he was talking about winning championships here and reporters laughed at him. At the end of the 2014 season after a loss in the Egg Bowl, he addressed that. He said something to the effect of "In my opening press conference I made a claim that we are going to compete for championships here and everybody laughed. Well, nobody is laughing now." Don changed the way our fanbase thought. He deserves credit for that.

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Henig is a good dude. He used to go to a bunch of the baseball games and sit in LFL and was always nice. Croom's entire offense besides the RBs was atrocious. It's not like John Parker Wilson at Bama was much better than Henig he just had 10 other NFL players on the offense with him. Henig had two.

This is an insane comment

vCash
    Croom was the epitome of Larry Templeton and his mindset about MSU athletics. The SEC and NCAA are pressuring us to break a barrier with our hire. What is our cheapest, easiest solution? How about a hot assistant coach like Charlie Strong. No? I'll call my good friend Mal Moore for advice. He'll tell me what I should do....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldendawg View Post
    I was at #5. Tobias Smith was the recruit.
    Last edited by DogsofAnarchy; 12-15-2017 at 10:46 AM.
    You hear those bells mother-fudder....an Air-RAID is coming and that is yo ass!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    If I remember correctly McCorvey had cancer and had to miss a few game in 2008. I assume that's what he is talking about.

My take on Sylvester Croom:

Outstanding running backs coach.

Bad head coach.

Edit to say- I don't hate the guy. He brought some good publicity to our program when we needed it because the media HATED Jackie and I think it caused our program to get run down some- see the 1999 season. 2007 honestly was fun as hell. I don't care if we were lucky or not- we won the games and that's all that matters at the end of the day.

At the same time I don't think he left us in super great shape when he left. He basically got us through probation and allowed us to buy time while our athletic department shifted with some leadership changes- and he won a few nice games here in there in the meantime. He was a good placeholder I suppose.
    Croom left Mullen with the talent to win 9 games in 2010 with guys on campus or committed at the time. Up until this year's Oline, Croom left Hev with a better line than Hev recruited in the entire 9 years Dan was here. Croom just didn't know how to run a college offense. He only knew how to run a West Coast Offense that is too complicated for guys to grasp in the few hours per week that they can work on it. Croom wasn't truly cut out to be a head coach but he didn't do a horrible job with the situation he took over.

With that said, Mullen left us in a lot better place than when he got here. He strengthened the foundation of blue collar hard work that Croom started. Next year should be the best team with the exception of 2014 in the last 20 years. Coach JoeMo inherits a great situation in that he could possibly win 10 games his first year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Croom left Mullen with the talent to win 9 games in 2010 with guys on campus or committed at the time. Up until this year's Oline, Croom left Hev with a better line than Hev recruited in the entire 9 years Dan was here. Croom just didn't know how to run a college offense. He only knew how to run a West Coast Offense that is too complicated for guys to grasp in the few hours per week that they can work on it. Croom wasn't truly cut out to be a head coach but he didn't do a horrible job with the situation he took over.

With that said, Mullen left us in a lot better place than when he got here. He strengthened the foundation of blue collar hard work that Croom started. Next year should be the best team with the exception of 2014 in the last 20 years. Coach JoeMo inherits a great situation in that he could possibly win 10 games his first year.
    I'm calling it now.

Coach Joe beats Saban in Tuscaloosa next season. Year one he does something Mullen could never do in nine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    I'm calling it now.

Coach Joe beats Saban in Tuscaloosa next season. Year one he does something Mullen could never do in nine.
    From your keyboard to God's email.