Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT - Net Neutrality has now been removed.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash

OT - Net Neutrality has now been removed.

Well party line vote has removed the internet as a utility and a service of the "public good". 86% of Americans believe net neutrality rules should remain in effect. 86% I would say that 95% would agree if they really understood what was at stake. This did nothing but endanger every american, especially those in areas where Comcast has a government subsidized and mandated effective monopoly on a large portion of the country. Comcast has been supported by the FCC and the members of congress that took money to slow down any and all content that is not what Comcast now thinks you should see or not see. They have the right to do it. They have the right to slow down Netflix, Elitedawgs, ie anything they want and pump up their NBC/Comcast data anyway they seem fit. Next step, charging Comcast customers extra money to have reasonable speed for the content they want to see. Republicans sold us out, for next to nothing. Some for only 1000s campaign of dollars from Comcast and others. They could have stopped this at any point during the FCC review. The internet is going to be like cable bills now, except premiums on certain websites. Thanks FCC and Congress.

This should not be about politics. This is about protecting services that were always established for the public good.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    I 100% agree. Such a shame to see it happen, but $$$ is king. Ask Paidwell, Nkimdonkee and Gasmask

vCash
    One of the worst decisions our government has ever made.

vCash
    You get what you vote for. Enjoy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mparkerfd20 View Post
    One of the worst decisions our government has ever made.
    Yep. I hope the outcome will not be what I fear, but there is a lot of money to be made by slowing down competitors. I may invest in Comcast/NBC Universal now. They would not flip a switch, but do it slowly over months and years. One day, people in Comcast areas will wonder why their content doesn't play anymore, call Comcast and they will give them bullshit bandwidth yada yada yada, but you could pay for this XXXXX service and bypass that issue. They pay the money, and then comcast just opens up the internet to the level you had on 12.13.2017, for a much larger pure profit amount.

I hope it doesn't happen, but greed will make it happen. America, land of the free.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Yep, my wife gets all heated about stuff all the time. I remind her that they either voted for it, or didn't come out to the polls. Why be bothered by it?
    Downvotes_Hype

Banned
    vCash
    Can someone explain to an ignorant person (me) why Republicans would think this is good? No smart ass remarks please. I understand Trump and Moore are Satan, etc.

vCash
    Because it was placed there by Obama, and literally everything that guy did needs to be undone. Only reason I could come up with. Literally everybody believes that all data should be treated equally by the internet service providers, except the ISPs and the people they gave money to, including all of our representatives and senators. Every single one of them bought and paid for. Regardless that I am sure all Mississippians believe this should be considered a utility.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Here are the people that voted to have this undone.
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/29/1...vacy-fire-sale

notice a theme?
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Because it was placed there by Obama, and literally everything that guy did needs to be undone. Only reason I could come up with. Literally everybody believes that all data should be treated equally by the internet service providers, except the ISPs and the people they gave money to, including all of our representatives and senators. Every single one of them bought and paid for. Regardless that I am sure all Mississippians believe this should be considered a utility.
    The mentality that everything done by Obama needs to be un-done is short-sighted at best. No one believe that anymore.
    Last edited by Dolphus Raymond; 12-14-2017 at 02:21 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Here are the people that voted to have this undone.
    https://www.theverge.com/2017/3/29/1...vacy-fire-sale

notice a theme?
    Are we going to debate abortion next? This kind of political BS should NEVER appear on this site......delete!

vCash
    17 the FCC

vCash
    Being overblown. Just like it was overblown by the other side when the law went into effect.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggie_Style View Post
    Are we going to debate abortion next? This kind of political BS should NEVER appear on this site......delete!
    It is only political because our state representatives and senators failed every person in this country. This doesn't serve a single good in our society.
    Sorry for the political slant. It truly was not intended. This shouldn't even be political, nor should the FCC be political.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5049 View Post
    Can someone explain to an ignorant person (me) why Republicans would think this is good? No smart ass remarks please. I understand Trump and Moore are Satan, etc.
    My guess is that they want to be able to allow the ISP's to grow, profit, and charge more to the consumer and to the content providers.

This may be a way for companies like Comcast to offset the huge losses they're seeing in cable subscriptions dropping by allowing them to charge content producers

Also guess this may end up in court, because if they were to have passed it, ISP's may have a case saying the law is hindering their ability to get market value for their service.

We may consider the internet a public service, but it's run by businesses, not the gov't. The businesses want to be able to maximize profit, and the Comcast's of the world are in the pocket of the Republicans
    Last edited by sonofozarka; 12-14-2017 at 02:30 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Being overblown. Just like it was overblown by the other side when the law went into effect.
    I disagree. If anything, it has been downplayed both times. This has a clear and present danger to all types of accessible and consumable data in our nation. ISP have the right and I say the support by our representatives to choose what information you can access based solely on their discretion. China, North Korea, and now US ISPs have this power. We let this happen.
    Will they use it? How can they make money from it? They just have to chose to do it. It's a very simple possible reality.

It's not like in today's day and age you can chose to not use the internet. An internet brought to you by local monopolies too. Can't even chose to change ISPs in a large portion of the county as it is.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Oh, grow up. This is in no way comparable to abortion.....the vast majority of Americans, regardless of their politics, agree on this issue. If you can't stand a discussion that calls out the Republicans (by both sides of the aisle) for dropping the ball on something then just don't click on the thread. People's inability/unwillingness to acknowledge **** ups by their party is a big part of the problem with the current state of politics in this country. And for the record, I am a Republican.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 5049 View Post
    It's also the result of actually having to live up to some bone headed rhetoric of the last 30+ years. Believing that all regulation of business is bad, that government should be drowned in a bath tub, that facts and history should be ignored all lead to decisions like this.

Business has proven over thousands of years that they will do whatever it takes to secure profits. Sometimes it is blatant, some times it is covert. Ultimately, profit motives win out. Understanding that does not make one anti-capitalist. It makes one a realist. The flip of that is that the roll of government regulation is to protect citizens from corporate profit motive where practical, and in a manner that is fair to business and the consumer. The reason for this is that the government is the representative of the people, and their only option. Recognizing that doesn't make one a communist. It makes one a realist. What has happened since Reagan began attacking regulations has gutted our governments ability to take action. It has created an all consuming Borg - deregulation, the attacks on Labor, the corruption of the campaign finance system, the symbiotic movement of elected officials to K Street (lobbyists) and K Street into regulatory bodies (like the FCC) has created a corruption of the process that we might never be able to restore. While I point out Reagan, Dems are no better, I only point to it as a beginning point. They have all become complicit.

vCash
    Comcast was doing terrific based on their own releases, without this reversal.
    http://corporate.comcast.com/news-in...year-in-review
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Why? Does it fracture your world view to find out that the GOP is not the bastion of freedom and liberty you believe it to be? The fact is it doesn?t matter what party you affiliate with. Laws are bought and sold in this country. It?s that simple. Roger Wicker and others don?t give a flying 17 about you. He and damn near everyone else that holds public office sell their ?beliefs? to the highest bidder. This isn?t America anymore and it damn sure isn?t a democracy.