Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Write Up On Mullen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    I'm grateful to Dan for what he did here. He had us, and has us, in positions I never thought I would ever see us in. I hope he does well, except when he plays us. Some of y'all don't want to hear this, but we need him to do well. Think about it.
    Name 1 good thing that comes to us from Don winning at UF. All his winning at UF does is enhance HIS reputation, not ours. People aren't going to say "Wow, MSU was so smart that they gave Don his first HC gig". They are going to say "Doc McStuffins is an incredible coach who can take a stinker program like MSU and win, and also take a powerhouse that was treading water and rebuild it." No. I wan't Dick Move to go 8-4 (4-4) every year for 3 years while the CC boys yuk it up and have Grantham bail on him after next season after Dick throws him under the bus after a Moorhead led MSU torches them for 548 yards of offense.

vCash
    Mullen rejuvenated our football program and built on what Jackie did. There is no disputing that. I tell people that Mullen actually reminds me of Jackie Sherrill a lot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    and what we lost and I hope we have replaced.

I know a lot of y'all are hating Mullen, some even saying they are glad he is gone, but anyone that doesn't appreciate what he brought here and what he accomplished, is wrong.

Did it make me mad he left? Does it make me furious that he may have half assed the Egg Bowl this year?

Yes.

But he also gave me the best 9 years of State football of my life, or 99% of everybody's life.

Like Jackie, he will be remembered fondly here after a little time. In fact, remembered a LOT more fondly.

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/d...ns-now-florida
    Yea well the b**** is gone and she took the dog so I'm tired of talking about her cuz I got a new one now!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Name 1 good thing that comes to us from Don winning at UF. All his winning at UF does is enhance HIS reputation, not ours. People aren't going to say "Wow, MSU was so smart that they gave Don his first HC gig". They are going to say "Doc McStuffins is an incredible coach who can take a stinker program like MSU and win, and also take a powerhouse that was treading water and rebuild it."
    Exactly. On the flip side, the worse he does at UF, the better it will make our program look. I'm not wishing it on him because I'm grateful for everything he did for us, but if he flops at UF, people will start realizing that just maybe we had more going for us over the past 9 years than just Dan Mullen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by klong-dog View Post
    What?? Why would it help us if he did well? I think it would benefit us more if he and SS failed. Would send the message that maybe we're not the stepping stone school, like most think.
    Think about it, we have?nt had a coach that left here and did well since the early 1950s. Mullen is the first one that left without getting pushed in over 60 years. It?s one of the main reasons we have historically had trouble hiring decent coaches. It took hiring one with some heavy NCAA baggage to start to break the cycle. If we have an ex coach out there doing well somewhere else then that helps change that perception, and it IS the perception, that MSU is a coaching graveyard. It will mean we will have a better applicant pool when you make the NEXT hire. I hope Moorhead stays a long time, but even if he does there will always be a next hire. Coaches that coach for a long time at one school are very rare, even more so now. Mullen exceeded the average tenure.

vCash
    Name 1 good thing that comes to us from Don winning at UF. All his winning at UF does is enhance HIS reputation, not ours. People aren't going to say "Wow, MSU was so smart that they gave Don his first HC gig". They are going to say "Doc McStuffins is an incredible coach who can take a stinker program like MSU and win, and also take a powerhouse that was treading water and rebuild it." No. I wan't Dick Move to go 8-4 (4-4) every year for 3 years while the CC boys yuk it up and have Grantham bail on him after next season after Dick throws him under the bus after a Moorhead led MSU torches them for 548 yards of offense.

I hope Don Merlin is a total failure at Flur-a-da.

vCash
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BrunswickDawg again.

Instead of kneeling I hope we go for 2 more yards to make it an even 550.

vCash
    Jackie has always been one of us. Not so much for Lateral Move. Jackie has always been my favorite. Also, I despise UF (and every other SEC team for that matter) and hope they never come out on the winning side of any competition in which they participate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BrunswickDawg again.

Instead of kneeling I hope we go for 2 more yards to make it an even 550.
    To add: when Coach Moorhead is walking off the field I want to hear him tell the sideline reporter "That's what it looks like when everyone from the coaches to the players gives relentless effort"

Won't happen, but it would be glorious!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    For those that didn't or won't read it, the article is more about State's mindset and culture around football and, the school as a whole, being changed to what we have now.

Love him or hate him, Mullen at least showed every one of the powers that be at State, what real football was about, and the way to get that way.

Mullen isn't even quoted in it, so if you want to see the attitude and mindset of this place before Mullen,( that I railed against for years) and why that made us mediocre to horrible in football for so long, this should be read.
    This. The man totally changed the mind set, more so than JWS ever did.

vCash
    They also won’t be saying look at Dan Mullen. We tried to warn him but he went anyway. Look at him now, a position coach at Thrasher Jr High. Look at the applicant pool we were talking to this time, it’s the best one we have ever had. What was evidently our final two were looked upon as the two hottest names among top assistants in the country. The one we DIDN’T go with just got hired by Tennessee. Come on guys. I know it sucks to loose a coach but the way we lost him is THE way you want to lose one if you lose him. For the first time since Royal and Warmuth we didn’t fire him and the program is in the best shape it’s been in since the 1940s.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I reiterate what most here have said about Don?s lack of loyalty but that was a good article.

In comparison to Don, my biggest concern about Moorhead is if he?s too laid back. Joe appears to be friendly, easy going, personable, etc, but I love my coaches to have that Saban, Meyer, Harbaugh, Dabo, Fat Mullen, kind of type A fire and toughness.

Players emulate their coach. Maybe Moorhead does have that Type A in him that can build mental toughness, but it is my concern. We need that.
    You have put your finger on something I'm concerned about also.

vCash
    I reiterate what most here have said about Don?s lack of loyalty but that was a good article.

In comparison to Don, my biggest concern about Moorhead is if he?s too laid back. Joe appears to be friendly, easy going, personable, etc, but I love my coaches to have that Saban, Meyer, Harbaugh, Dabo, Fat Mullen, kind of type A fire and toughness.

Players emulate their coach. Maybe Moorhead does have that Type A in him that can build mental toughness, but it is my concern. We need that.
    Fordham called and they said 17 you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Think about it, we have?nt had a coach that left here and did well since the early 1950s. Mullen is the first one that left without getting pushed in over 60 years. It?s one of the main reasons we have historically had trouble hiring decent coaches. It took hiring one with some heavy NCAA baggage to start to break the cycle. If we have an ex coach out there doing well somewhere else then that helps change that perception, and it IS the perception, that MSU is a coaching graveyard. It will mean we will have a better applicant pool when you make the NEXT hire. I hope Moorhead stays a long time, but even if he does there will always be a next hire. Coaches that coach for a long time at one school are very rare, even more so now. Mullen exceeded the average tenure.
    No. No. No.

The problem was not that we were a coaching graveyard. We have had terrible leadership in the ADs office who constantly made decisions based on a lack of funds and an aversion to risk. Murray Warmath and Darryl Royal saw that quickly and bolted. Wade Walker was a bad coach who moved from HC to AD, then became a very successful AD at Oklahoma. Paul Davis was hired with almost no experience, bombed, and went on to a lengthy 24 year career as an assistant - primarily at Auburn. Charlie Shira was a lazy hire (coach who had worked here under Royal) who we could pay for double duty as AD, and sell all of our home games to other schools. He bombed, and then stayed on as AD. Bob Tyler was a very good hire and coach who got destroyed by the NCAA. Emory Bellard was an excellent hire and coach, who probably could have gone on to coach other places - but would have had to overhaul his whole approach to offense (by '85 the wishbone was almost dead) at age 58. Rockey Felker was a good assistant coach - but a lazy hire as a HC. After his tenure here, he still had a successful career as an OC (Tulsa, Arkansas) and then came back home. Jackie knew it was probably his last job, or next to last job when he was hired here. Croom was Croom, but is still coaching.

So - in summary - we had 2 coaches who left and went on to HOF careers (Warmath & Royal), 2 who became our AD one of whom went on to a major power, 1 tanked by the NCAA, 2 who ended their careers here probably due to age and the game having passed them by (Bellard & Jackie), and 3 who continued on as assistant coaches for long careers (Davis, Felker, Croom).

Where is this coaching graveyard you speak of?? Almost all of our coaches continued in successful careers after they left MSU. The problem always was - until Don - the lack of funding and resources to compete and a lack leadership and real support from the university to make sure we had the facilities to compete.
    Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 12-14-2017 at 10:24 AM.

vCash
    When Jackie left we were in good enough shape to go out and get ourselves Sylvester Croom. When Dan left we were in good enough shape to go out and get us a Moorhead. Dan elevated the program. Jackie left it arguably worse than he found it. When you talk about "how he left", that's how I see it. Jackie didn't leave us in a good way. Jackie left us in hell.

vCash

You don?t win and accomplish what Joe has without being a type A or driver. Just look at the way he talks about how he was raised and where he came from. This mans driven to succeed.

vCash
    and a lot more fondly than Sherrill...shouldn't even be close. Sherrill had a few good teams but Mullen transformed the program

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by was21 View Post
    and a lot more fondly than Sherrill...shouldn't even be close. Sherrill had a few good teams but Mullen transformed the program
    I'm gonna put on my let's be honest hat again.

Jackie was not an innovator or a man with a vision. Mullen demanded certain things of a program and tried to reach a certain level. However, Mullen was unable to self search and realize he was still holding the program back by his own ego.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy dawg View Post
    When Jackie left we were in good enough shape to go out and get ourselves Sylvester Croom. When Dan left we were in good enough shape to go out and get us a Moorhead. Dan elevated the program. Jackie left it arguably worse than he found it. When you talk about "how he left", that's how I see it. Jackie didn't leave us in a good way. Jackie left us in hell.
    So dumb it's amazing. Croom was Templeton's fault not Jackie's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    You don?t win and accomplish what Joe has without being a type A or driver. Just look at the way he talks about how he was raised and where he came from. This mans driven to succeed.
    Agreed. Also, the guy that hired him is nicknamed the Intense Bastard, so I don't think that I would worry about him being too laid back.