Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SAE's Shut Down At Ole Miss

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckdog View Post
    I agree about my Frat but SAE closing down chapters all over is the snow flake crap
    If they have rampant issues with physical abuse, sexual abuse, and/or forced alcohol consumption as part of the pledging process, then that’s not because of “snowflakes”. They aren’t just arbitrarily closing chapters. The thing is, all the pledging shit is beyond stupid and any harm or death from it is 100% preventable.

Banned
    vCash
    I feel sorry for these youngsters these days. back in my day, it was just weed, whisky and beer. the shit going on now is dangerous. my old ass doesn't have the answers to the shit going on today. I've got a 13 yr old boy. Time to start educating . sexual weirdness is something I'm unfamiliar with as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    No, I was pointing out that the drinking isn't any worse than when was there, I wouldn't think.

. I was saying it to see what others thought the problem was with deaths and hospital visits these days, unlike back then.

I can never remember anyone at State, when I was there, dying or having to go too the hospital because of just drinking.

So are they drinking more? Or is it because they are taking some type of substance AND drinking?
    I know of a handful that had to go to the hospital in the early 90s.

Having 2 teenagers, I'll give you my observation. I'd say there are fewer kids who start drinking early compared to when many of us grew up (I'm mid 40s). Because of that, kids being thrown into heavy drinking/binge drinking environments aren't familiar with their limits and have more problems. I had my first real drinking experience at 13. By the time I finished high school, I had a pretty good idea of what my levels were. Even then, I had some instances of trying to keep up at a frat party, or getting my ass kicked at Presidents and Assholes or quarters, or being pissed and doing something stupid like 15+ shots of Jager, that caused me to get puke/pass out level drunk. And I was pretty experienced drinker. You throw someone into those situations who has hardly ever touched alcohol and its a recipe for disaster.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post

Having 2 teenagers, I'll give you my observation. I'd say there are fewer kids who start drinking early compared to when many of us grew up (I'm mid 40s). Because of that, kids being thrown into heavy drinking/binge drinking environments aren't familiar with their limits and have more problems. I had my first real drinking experience at 13. By the time I finished high school, I had a pretty good idea of what my levels were. Even then, I had some instances of trying to keep up at a frat party, or getting my ass kicked at Presidents and Assholes or quarters, or being pissed and doing something stupid like 15+ shots of Jager, that caused me to get puke/pass out level drunk. And I was pretty experienced drinker. You throw someone into those situations who has hardly ever touched alcohol and its a recipe for disaster.
    I think something you can attribute that to is the new Helicopter Parents... When kids are under the thumb of mom and dad for 18 years and then they are completely on their own, bad things happen.

As far as the frat stuff goes- I think a lot of it is six in one half a dozen in the other... one on hand, there are certainly people against them for other reasons and they are on a witch hunt to shut them down... on the other, you have frats w kids dying and being abused- that isnt okay. Its sad to see them being torn down, but some of it is well deserved. My fraternity hazed, but it didnt involve pledges drinking or anything remotely sexual- which I think is perfectly acceptable and the way it should be.
    Last edited by DudyDawg; 12-13-2017 at 11:02 AM.

Banned
    vCash
    My Dad's best friend his last 20 yrs of his life was a guy who played for Vaught. Great Guy. Sung at my Dad's funeral and told wonderful stories about my Dad.

When he was at Ole Miss, he was at a frat party and one of his buddies wanted to show out how he could kill a pint of whiskey in a few minutes. Well the guy did it and he didn't live to get the "atta boys".

There may be some of you old timers that know this incident in Oxford indeed happened. This story is not a knock on Ole Miss. it can happen ANYWHERE.

teach your kids folks. showing out with drugs and alcohol is a bad recipe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    My Dad's best friend his last 20 yrs of his life was a guy who played for Vaught. Great Guy. Sung at my Dad's funeral and told wonderful stories about my Dad.

When he was at Ole Miss, he was at a frat party and one of his buddies wanted to show out how he could kill a pint of whiskey in a few minutes. Well the guy did it and he didn't live to get the "atta boys".

There may be some of you old timers that know this incident in Oxford indeed happened. This story is not a knock on Ole Miss. it can happen ANYWHERE.

teach your kids folks. showing out with drugs and alcohol is a bad recipe.
    When I was a young, dopey freshman at ole miss in '89 (worst mistake of my life!) there was a frat that tied up two pledges buck naked with racist slurs written all over them. They were dropped off at a nearby HBC to "fend" for themselves. And all hell broke loose after that. The frat was shut down and those that partook in the incident were expelled.

I was pledging ATO in open rush that year when I decided I'd had enough and took my ass back home. My hatred of ole miss grew exponentially after that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    I just think you were fortunate enough at state to not be there when someone died. Even today it?s not a high percentage of frat pledges dying from alcohol (even 1 dying from forced alcohol consumption is too much though), so most people go 4 years and never experience something like that on their campus.. And I guarantee you people when to the hospital, they were just treated and released though, and there was no one reporting it to the university getting the frat in trouble and there wasn?t social media spreading stories and rumors about it.
    It's amazing we were able to function back then and communicate without social media.

State's greek life when I was there was like a large HS. We ddin't need social media, we talked to each other. Anybody going in the hospital for being drunk would have been known in every house a couple of hours later.
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    When I was a young, dopey freshman at ole miss in '89 (worst mistake of my life!) there was a frat that tied up two pledges buck naked with racist slurs written all over them. They were dropped off at a nearby HBC to "fend" for themselves. And all hell broke loose after that. The frat was shut down and those that partook in the incident were expelled.

I was pledging ATO in open rush that year when I decided I'd had enough and took my ass back home. My hatred of ole miss grew exponentially after that.
    I remember those dudes doing that.
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash

Makes sense.

Hell, it wasn't anything new to me when I got there. Just another party

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Drugdog View Post
    There's no Probation like Pike Probation.
    And I know that very well.

Banned
    vCash

was living in Memphis when that happened, remember it well. glad to see you saw the light and Got the 17 out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CJDAWG85 View Post
    I was an E at State. We were hazed, but it wasn't anything harmful or dangerous. It was fun and games.
    So they didn't make you strip down, put a grape between you butt cheeks, make you clime a pole and if the grape came out you had to clime back down and eat it. Then keep repeating the process until you made it up the pole and back down with the grape still grasped between the cheeks?

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    So they didn't make you strip down, put a grape between you butt cheeks, make you clime a pole and if the grape came out you had to clime back down and eat it. Then keep repeating the process until you made it up the pole and back down with the grape still grasped between the cheeks?
    ok, now the shit's getting weird. LOL. glad I didn't go to a 4 yr university now.

vCash

I funneled...

I funneled a 1/5 of vodka in high school and lived to talk about it. Looking back, I am lucky to have survived that. We do some dumb things as kids and even still. It and several other idiot moments make for some good stories these days, but it was dumb as hell.

vCash
    I didn't need a frat to get drunk and puke. I just got drunk and puked.
    You're welcome

vCash
    Or a flag pole run - streaking from Sessums to the flag pole on the Drill and back to Sessums. Allegedly, this was a popular pledge event.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    It's amazing we were able to function back then and communicate without social media.

State's greek life when I was there was like a large HS. We ddin't need social media, we talked to each other. Anybody going in the hospital for being drunk would have been known in every house a couple of hours later.
    When I was in a frat at state (00-04) I certainly wasn’t in the loop on every single other frat members alcohol intake.

vCash
    Eventually they're all going to be eliminated. OM will fall apart without frats and sororities. It's their way of life.

vCash
    Or a flag pole run - streaking from Sessums to the flag pole on the Drill and back to Sessums. Allegedly, this was a popular pledge event.
    I do that every home game for good luck.

vCash
    Had a roommate at University Commons who?s brother had been in a frat (I forget which one) and he was wanting him to join as a legacy. He wanted no part of it. He described a frat as follows:

?You give me all your money and eat this grape out of my ass and we?ll be friends for four years.?

Your post reminded me of that for obvious reasons.