Thread: Quail survey

vCash

Quail survey

Was wondering if people would mind letting me know if you are seeing any quail while you are out this winter? Our population has steadily declined since the 80's, but some notice of a few areas where quail are popping back up. Tell me area of state and what kind of area it is you noticed( cutover, CRP, etc). Thanks !!

vCash
    Man I have no idea. Hopefully somebody with some knowledge will chime in.

vCash
    Over here in West Alabama (near Columbus) I have seen a couple coveys in my field. It is grown up pasture surrounded by hardwoods on two sides and planted pines on the other two. I was really surprised, because I haven’t seen quail in nearly 40 years.
    cautiously optimistic

vCash
    I honestly don?t think I?ve seen quail in 15+ yrs in MS.

vCash
    Ive seen a covey of 10 the last few times Ive hunted my lease in Choctaw Co. They are in the middle of a 240 ac 18 yr old pine plantation. They frequent a large foodplot. I saw a covey of 10-12 in the same spot 2 seasons ago, but did not see them at all last year. To the east of the pine stand, we have 800 ac of hardwood bottom. To the east of that hardwood bottom is another 250 acres of mixed age pine plantation, which is owned by another member of my lease. He has a large covey that lives on his property. He jumped them up recently and said it was at probably 20-25 all together.

vCash
    I jumped a covey in a grown up field on Copiah WMA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWillScrewItUp View Post
    I jumped a covey in a grown up field on Copiah WMA
    Great to hear! really miss MS quail hunting. We hunt TX now exclusively. A few years ago, I actually killed a limit in Sunflower county in WRP fields. Went back a few weeks later to same area and did not find a bird! Go figure?

vCash
    Ive been seeing a pretty good bit in a certain national forest

vCash
    I've seen them and heard them in Bienville national forest near Raleigh a few times

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Madisonmd View Post
    Was wondering if people would mind letting me know if you are seeing any quail while you are out this winter? Our population has steadily declined since the 80's, but some notice of a few areas where quail are popping back up. Tell me area of state and what kind of area it is you noticed( cutover, CRP, etc). Thanks !!
    This is probably a stupid question, what is CRP?

vCash
    I know where there are some large population of Quail on a farm near Mound Bayou Ms. I hunt rabbits there and have seen many for several years. I am a ranger at the White refuge across the river from Helena over in Arkansas and have noticed quail over near Trustin Holder and White river Refuge last week.