Thread: Coaching carousel, bowl season & signing day

vCash

Coaching carousel, bowl season & signing day

Would pushing signing day back to May or even April delay the coaching carousel?

Why doesn?t the NCAA push signing day back to later in spring?

In my opinion, the hot seat talk and ultimately the mid season firing of coaches dominated college football news this season and is a bad look for college football. UT and UF absolutely packed in their season half way through this year. I think it is huge distraction for the players, coaches and fans.

A number of the sec teams are without head coaches and complete staffs for bowls that payout millions. Bowls that will be poorly attended because of the volatile situations within the football programs. Alabama is playing in the CFP with a Lame duck DC.

In addition, you now have mid December signing day in the middle of all this chaos with the February date around the corner.

Pushing the signing day back to May or April would allow the administration more time to let the season play out through the bowls. Then still leave you 3-4 months to fire and hire coaches. Also allow the high school prospects enough time to see the shake out, revisit coaching staffs and make a decision.

Maybe there is a reason signing day is in February....(may finals?). But I?m sure the kids can get their studying in and make a decision before May 1. Also this gives universities more time to see if kids qualify.

vCash
    I still maintain there should be no "signing day". Anytime after the start of a prospects senior year, any player in good academic standing should be able to get and sign paper, with maybe on out for a HC change.

It's just become a spectacle that to me seem unnecessary and when players do a signing day switch and blindside a certain team it just creates all kinds of chaos that could be avoided.

The recruiting of high school players shouldn't have such a huge impact on the actual college teams and this season it's pretty apparent it did with the december signing date. That was an unintended consequence.

vCash
    I believe what we have seen with this year’s silly season is a direct result of the early signing period.

vCash
    How about require a coaching staff, or at least head coach be in place by say January 15, with signing day 60 days later.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    I am sure the Feb one is for entrance requirements for colleges.
    They should just let kids sign whenever they want after the first day of their Senior year like any other high school student. I have no idea why there is even a "signing day". Every senior should get to chose their school as soon as they are a senior, with an option to change schools up until they enroll if their head coach leaves.

For instance, if I were being accepted to engineering school at MSU, but MIT offered me a scholarship in June and I haven't enrolled yet, I would be able to change. I don't see the issue.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    I think there’s a huge difference in a HC choosing to leave and a HC getting fired by the university. If the university fires the HC, then the players should be free to shop around. But if the HC lies to the kids and then bolts, the only party hurt is the university and the fans, and if a bunch of recruits have already signed, you are talking about a lost class. If anything, the kids learn a lesson to not trust someone’s whose job is to sell you something that they benefit from selling you. If you like the program, the university, the town, etc., and the coach and the system on top of that, then great, but don’t buy into a HC as the only reason you are choosing a program when that HC is out looking for other jobs too.