Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Moorhead?s staff

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MafiaDawg View Post
    Overall this staff is disappointing with the amount of money available. zero proven SEC recruiters. That's pitiful.
    I'm OK with the staff but I guess I'm not really seeing the type hires that would require Moorhead to hold his salary down to pay them. Some of the bigger names (Shoop and Hud) don't have jobs right now and some of the others are not ones you would think that would draw major salaries given their experience level and the programs we pulled them from (like Duke and Boise St.). Now if we were pulling people like a Don Brown THEN it would make sense to move some of the HC pay over to an assistant.

vCash
    On top of that, we're probably adding Scott Fountain as a special teams coach- has been at Auburn and is currently an analyst at Georgia and we're likely to keep Boniol so that upgrades our special teams as well. That's one of the good things about Hevesy leaving- we don't have to waste a spot on someone that can recruit solely because he can't or won't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    I think the meddler had a lot to do with why position groups and his teams underperformed.
    If you look at recruiting, we've won most of the battles on the defensive side of the ball. Even when Ole Miss was offering money- Chris Jones, PJ Jones, Leo, Kobe, Willie Gay, Jamal Peters, Gerri Green, etc. when it comes to four star talent. On the offensive side of the ball we've done well at QB and RB but WR and o-line we have not done nearly as well with the in state battles there- Tobias Singleton, Brassell, AJ Brown, Rod Taylor, Aaron Morris, Patterson, Markell Pack among others. I have a feeling if we had better recruiters things would have been different. And I need to include guys that went out of state like Lashley, Kevin Norwood, Steen, Womack, Saahdiq Charles, maybe/probably Cole Smith. The only highly rated in state TE I can recall was Octavious Cooley and maybe Sammie Epps and we didn't get either one of them either.

vCash
    Wait, some are complaining about a Staff that hasn’t signed a player, coached a game but yet the naysayers know way more than Joe Moorhead?
    I think some of you guys need to wait and see what happens with this staff before jumping off the cliff.
    Time will tell. At least give them a chance before judging.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Wait, some are complaining about a Staff that hasn?t signed a player, coached a game but yet the naysayers know way more than Joe Moorhead?
    I think some of you guys need to wait and see what happens with this staff before jumping off the cliff.
    We have too many positives and too much momentum for the old school MS State fans to handle. They have to find something to bitch about and act like the sky is falling for comfort.

A portion of our fan base does not know how to win and act when we are winning. A large portion of our fan base is constantly waiting for the ?MSU crashes? of old and never allows a different tack record of recent success to influence current thought processes.

vCash
    Watch out Mafia. If you disagree w/ anything Moorhead does, you'll get crucified.

Before any of the staff was hired, everyone here said "I like Moorhead, just hope he adds some SEC recruiters on the staff." Now that he literally didn't hire one, everyone is spinning this. This staff may work out greater but I'm not a fan of the Johnson, Lukabu, Brady, or Ambrose hires. The two assistant NFL coaches are really odd hires/fits to me. If you look at this staff compared to the staff the Pruitt is putting together, it's not close.

Pruitt's staff:
    OC: Tyson Helton (USC QB Coach/Pass Game Coordinator, former WKU OC under Jeff Brohm)
    DC: Kevin Sherrer (Georgia OLB Coach)
    RB: Robert Gillespie
    OL: Will Friend (Colorado State OC/OL Coach)
    DL: Chris Rumph (Florida DL Coach)
    DL: Tracy Rocker (Former Georgia/Auburn DL Coach)
    DB: Terry Fair (Colorado State DB Coach)

Lance Thompson also joining the staff as something.

That's a hell of a staff w/ SEC experience.
    Last edited by Big4Dawg; 12-10-2017 at 12:32 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big4Dawg View Post
    Watch out Mafia. If you disagree w/ anything Moorhead does, you'll get crucified.

Before any of the staff was hired, everyone here said "I like Moorhead, just hope he adds some SEC recruiters on the staff." Now that he literally didn't hire one, everyone is spinning this. This staff may work out greater but I'm not a fan of the Johnson, Lakabu, Brady, or Ambrose hires. The two assistant NFL coaches are really odd hires/fits to me. If you look at this staff compared to the staff the Pruitt is putting together, it's not close.

Pruitt's staff:
    OC: Tyson Helton (USC QB Coach/Pass Game Coordinator, former WKU OC under Jeff Brohm)
    DC: Kevin Sherrer (Georgia OLB Coach)
    RB: Robert Gillespie
    OL: Will Friend (Colorado State OC/OL Coach)
    DL: Chris Rumph (Florida DL Coach)
    DL: Tracy Rocker (Former Georgia/Auburn DL Coach)
    DB: Terry Fair (Colorado State DB Coach)

Lance Thompson also joining the staff as something.

That's a hell of a staff w/ SEC experience.
    Since when did coaching in the NFL become a negative? Brady and Lakabu are young coaches who have been able to make it to that level at an early stage in their career and Lakabu was already tabbed to be a DC. Baker coached in the NFL and he has done well in recruiting. If I'm a recruit and my position coach has NFL experience I would consider that a bonus. We hired a DC that had dominating defenses at Vanderbilt and Penn State and Pruitt hired a guy that has Sun Belt experience as a DC- but you want that over what we got? Johnson and Ambrose are coaches that have ties to Mississippi and I've heard nothing but positive things about Johnson and his personality. I would imagine he would be a really good recruiter. Moorhead us also a better OC than the one that they picked up too.

Just because we didn't hire a bunch of Mississippi good ol boys doesn't mean we hired a bunch of guys that can't recruit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shake 'n Bake View Post
    So it looks like Moorhead?s originally 9man staff will be:
    QB Breiner
    RB Huff
    WR Joe Brady
    TE Hud
    OL Johnson
    DL Baker
    LB Tem Lukabu
    CB Ambrose
    S Shoop

Question is who is going to recruit players. Cohen made claims of us saving money to spend on the staff and we didn?t hire a single recruiter outside of Huff

Well on your completed staff, the ones bolded are actually on the staff. Although the others could be hired, right now it is just message board talk. Baker is trending more in being kept, but there is nothing definite on that.
    Last edited by yjnkdawg; 12-10-2017 at 01:40 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Wait, some are complaining about a Staff that hasn’t signed a player, coached a game but yet the naysayers know way more than Joe Moorhead?

Some of the ones complaining here are also complaining on GP, and some of this so-called completed staff has not been confirmed. It's message board talk right now. I agree basedog.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Ties are important but overrated. Kids these days like relationships and it isn’t always about where you came from. Can you talk to the kids? Can you make them see your vision for their future? What credibility do you have?

Take it from me as a high school teacher that has taught and currently teaches kids who are being recruited by P5 and G5 schools. They like relationships and people who know how to relate to them. They don’t care where you are from. They care about where you’ve been and there’s a difference. Our staff as it seems like it’s going to be established has HC experience, will have some NFL experience both playing and coaching, will have some MS guys on it, and will have guys that have extensive P5 experience.

What more do we want? Some of us want splashy names that look good on paper but may not have any substance. We don’t need personalities. We need people willing to sacrifice for the greater vision of MSU. I like what we’ve done so far and I believe Moorhead wouldn’t do anything that would hurt us.
    +1 Dilly Dilly

vCash
    If Looney doesn't stay on with us, I think he ends up reuniting with Campbell down at South AL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheIttaBenaHotSun View Post
    If Looney doesn't stay on with us, I think he ends up reuniting with Campbell down at South AL.
    That might end up being the best thing that ever happened to him long term. He can go there and be the o-line coach and the head coach there is a guy who has been an o-line coach for a long time including at MSU. If he does well there he might be able to come back and be our o-line coach one day.

vCash
    Moorhead was an outside the box hire. There?s a big risk-reward factor. I?m not going to sit here and blow sunshine up your ass and I?m not going to get too caught up in the staff stuff. We whiffed on some of his top guys. Just have to see next season. Too late to worry about it now. But I don?t think this staff can possibly be a worse recruiting staff than what we had. All we really had was Mullen?s name as a QB coach and our local staff guys. I?m betting Mo Head will be way more willing to fire a lazy ass than Mullen too. I think we?ll be ok. I think TN will have an incredible recruiting staff though. That?s the only disappointment for me right now. I?m jealous of that staff. But I like our HC better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MafiaDawg View Post
    Yes. It makes it a hell of a lot more risky. Again none of these guys have current relationships with Mississippi high schools. They've been all out of state either their whole life or at least the last few years. It would have been too smart and too easy to keep 2/3 guys on staff (DJ/ Tbuck) who could check those boxes. But we like to make it hard.
    No, it makes it uncertain for you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    We whiffed on some of his top guys. Just have to see next season. Too late to worry about it now.
    Which is quite disappointing given we had roughly 2 million more dollars set aside for assistants if needed this year than what we had last year. I say that based on the fact that Moorhead is taking roughly 2 million less in salary this year than what Mullen was going to cost. Probably even more like 2.5 million given we were apparently willing to go as high as 5.5 million to keep Mullen around.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    We have too many positives and too much momentum for the old school MS State fans to handle. They have to find something to bitch about and act like the sky is falling for comfort.

A portion of our fan base does not know how to win and act when we are winning. A large portion of our fan base is constantly waiting for the ?MSU crashes? of old and never allows a different tack record of recent success to influence current thought processes.
    I agree, I laugh when I read we "wiffed" on certain coaches, please post who actually got offered and declined?
    Also I say bull on ONE needs or has to have Miss or Sec ties, if you can sale, coach, develop relationships and players I don't care where you are from. The Sec sells itself over every other conference in the country first off, Mississippi is a smal market for recruiting compared to our neighbors in the south. Mississippi players leave the State a lot.

As a ex Coach who recruited at one time and have done sales for many years, plus having so called ties means less than what some of you naysayers think. Loosen up up Francis on the new staff and time will tell, like RougeDawg has stated "act like a winner"! Snowflakes indeed we have Rouge!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Which is quite disappointing given we had roughly 2 million more dollars set aside for assistants if needed this year than what we had last year. I say that based on the fact that Moorhead is taking roughly 2 million less in salary this year than what Mullen was going to cost. Probably even more like 2.5 million given we were apparently willing to go as high as 5.5 million to keep Mullen around.
    Cohen took a huge risk. I’m going to give them some time before I say I’m disappointed. These guys might be great. And I’ll say again- they can’t be worse than the recruiters we had. That’s a fact. I feel like Mo Head is putting a greater emphasis on coaching too. He seems to be bigger on the coaching side. Won’t be anymore 3 year blocking plans.

vCash
    Cohen took a huge risk. I’m going to give them some time before I say I’m disappointed. These guys might be great. And I’ll say again- they can’t be worse than the recruiters we had. That’s a fact. I feel like Mo Head is putting a greater emphasis on coaching too. He seems to be bigger on the coaching side. Won’t be anymore 3 year blocking plans.
    Having ex Head Coaches is huge, those guys can recruit and I'm betting they are a big upgrade from the previous staff.

Funny, ED folks bitched about Dan bringing in 2 and 3 star players, now they same ones are bitching about a staff that hasn't even coached or recruited much. Moorehead himself has secured what Dan had committed while Dan, and the two CC boys can't keep what they inherited, go figure.

Btw, Moorhead > Pruitt He has proven himself while Pruitt is really unknown plus he ain't even close to the salesman that Moorhead has shown to be!

vCash
    Well its pretty well know that we whiffed on Brown for DC but I personally don't know where these other guys stack up on Moorhead's pecking order. I'm just saying IF he missed on most of his top guys then it is disappointing given our budget for assistant coaches was theoretically much bigger this year. And I agree that this staff should recruit as well or better than what we had.

vCash
    I really like the actual hires to date and am not going to complain about others until they happen, at least.
    Last edited by 1bigdawg; 12-10-2017 at 12:36 PM.