RB Huff
    WR Joe Brady
    TE Hud
    OL Johnson
    DL Baker
    LB Tem Lukabu
    CB Ambrose
    S Shoop

Question is who is going to recruit players. Cohen made claims of us saving money to spend on the staff and we didn?t hire a single recruiter outside of Huff

vCash
    First I have heard of lukabu. Any good info on him?

vCash
    Moorhead hire or shoop? Is Ambrose Moorhead or shoop hire?

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Moorhead hire or shoop? Is Ambrose Moorhead or shoop hire?
    I imagine Moorhead on Iukabu. He worked as DC for 2 months at Fordham then jumped to NFL. There's nothing definite on his hire yet tho. Just some good sources on 247 are saying they have heard some things along these lines.

https://www.ninersnation.com/platfor...coaching-staff

I don't know who would be hiring Ambrose if he gets hired.

vCash
    Overall this staff is disappointing with the amount of money available. zero proven SEC recruiters. That's pitiful.
    Last edited by MafiaDawg; 12-09-2017 at 10:46 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MafiaDawg View Post
    Overall this staff is disappointing with the about of money available. zero proven SEC recruiters. That's pitiful.
    Pretty atrocious take here

vCash
    None of these guys have any pre existing relationships with Mississippi high school programs. Well maybe hud does but it's been a while since he's hit the trail hard. We whiffed big time. It sucks.

vCash
    Overall this staff is disappointing with the about of money available. zero proven SEC recruiters. That's pitiful.
    I'm a little disappointed in a couple maybe, but in wait and see mode. Trusting Moorhead for now. He should be able to win 8 next year regardless. I mean Mullen was constantly going through coordinators, position coaches etc.

Only 8 wins next year may be a little disappointing, but I always give a coach 3 years anyway when they first come in. I'm hoping the transition isn't too difficult for team and the team leadership will help out a lot too.

I think Moorhead will be much better recruiter than Dan. Figure Johnson will crush Hev at recruiting. I believe Hud is good at recruiting. Huff is supposed to be outstanding. Don't know how Shoop is. Then you're keeping all the off-the-field guys. I think recruiting will be ok ... probably can't be worse than it has been as a whole unless they're terrible.

ETA: I sorta believe Moorhead may have whiffed on a couple to 3 hires a good bit.

vCash
    Overall this staff is disappointing with the amount of money available. zero proven SEC recruiters. That's pitiful.
    Astute observation. If you haven?t been proven to convince someone to come to an sec school it is obvious that you will be pitiful at it.

vCash
    Ties are important but overrated. Kids these days like relationships and it isn’t always about where you came from. Can you talk to the kids? Can you make them see your vision for their future? What credibility do you have?

Take it from me as a high school teacher that has taught and currently teaches kids who are being recruited by P5 and G5 schools. They like relationships and people who know how to relate to them. They don’t care where you are from. They care about where you’ve been and there’s a difference. Our staff as it seems like it’s going to be established has HC experience, will have some NFL experience both playing and coaching, will have some MS guys on it, and will have guys that have extensive P5 experience.

What more do we want? Some of us want splashy names that look good on paper but may not have any substance. We don’t need personalities. We need people willing to sacrifice for the greater vision of MSU. I like what we’ve done so far and I believe Moorhead wouldn’t do anything that would hurt us.

vCash
    Yes. It makes it a hell of a lot more risky. Again none of these guys have current relationships with Mississippi high schools. They've been all out of state either their whole life or at least the last few years. It would have been too smart and too easy to keep 2/3 guys on staff (DJ/ Tbuck) who could check those boxes. But we like to make it hard.

vCash
    Huff was rated the fourth best recruiter in the country. He was at Vanderbilt and has hit the ground running. Hud certainly is proven in the SEC- and it would have been even better had he not left in 2011. Johnson and Ambrose are both from Mississippi and then Ambrose is from NOLA originally. Baker is with us and is a good recruiter and Shoop is a good recruiter as well who has been at Vandy and Tennessee.

I like the staff a lot.

vCash
    Yes. It makes it a hell of a lot more risky. Again none of these guys have current relationships with Mississippi high schools. They've been all out of state either their whole life or at least the last few years. It would have been too smart and too easy to keep 2/3 guys on staff (DJ/ Tbuck) who could check those boxes. But we like to make it hard.
    Idk... I thought safety and TE performance was very disappointing this year and I thought we had some talent at each position

vCash
    I think you may be overemphasizing the Mississippi ties stuff. We have some guys on staff that have those.

I think Moorhead is going for extremely good coaches too. Not sure DJ & TBuck are that great as coaches. Our corners and safeties left something to be desired at times this year (too many big passing plays given up). And since TE plays such a role in passing game with Moorhead, DJ probably isn't a good fit there. And he doesn't have enough experience on OLine either, although I kinda would have preferred Moorhead had gotten someone with more experience there myself. We'll see though.

ETA: I would imagine JoMo has watched a good bit of film on us this past year, which is most likely the reasons they aren't being retained.

vCash
    We now have the view from Oxford, lol.

vCash
    Don't forget that we still have Peterson, Austin, Gibson, Bowen and whoever else I am forgetting as our recruiting machine as far as Mississippi goes. That is unchanged even though Dan has left and they have helped keep the class pretty much together despite Dan coming after them. In fact, we probably upgraded our connections by adding Hud.

This group probably has as many or more connections than Dan had as far as Mississippi goes. More importantly until proven otherwise we rid ourselves of all of the lazy recruiters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    I think you may be overemphasizing the Mississippi ties stuff. We have some guys on staff that have those.

I think Moorhead is going for extremely good coaches too. Not sure DJ & TBuck are that great as coaches. Our corners and safeties left something to be desired at times this year (too many big passing plays given up). And since TE plays such a role in passing game with Moorhead, DJ probably isn't a good fit there. And he doesn't have enough experience on OLine either, although I kinda would have preferred Moorhead had gotten someone with more experience there myself. We'll see though.

ETA: I would imagine JoMo has watched a good bit of film on us this past year, which is most likely the reasons they aren't being retained.
    And I will add I would love to find a place for Looney as one of the recruiting gurus in the front office but I don't think he would do that if he can find another coaching position.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Idk... I thought safety and TE performance was very disappointing this year and I thought we had some talent at each position
    I think the meddler had a lot to do with why position groups and his teams underperformed.