Thread: Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: White Death Edition

vCash

Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: White Death Edition

Looks like a lot of you saw some white stuff today. Coastal GA is just cold and rainy. Great for a nice fire, and something warm to eat.

I stopped by the seafood market for some shrimp and crab meat. Whipped up a shrimp, crab, bacon, and corn chowder. It?s simmering on the stove and I?m sipping some Bulleit.

What are yall doing to keep your toes warm?

vCash
    I'm at a Quarter Horse show in Jackson. Got the warm clothes loaded and the portable grill. I'm planning on cooking tomorrow while my wife does her showing. I got a cooler full of white cans and tailgating food to cook.

vCash
    We got some solid snow on the coast.

Redneck snowman

Various deer and some Lazy Mag Skeleton Key

vCash
    Got some good snow in Madison county today and did a Mediterranean chicken pasta for dinner. I'll get a photo later. I'm smoking one of those mini briskets tomorrow and then hunting Sunday. Should be a good weekend

Last edited by BeastMan; 12-08-2017 at 08:33 PM.

vCash
    Tonight I'm smoking a 3lb brisket from Sams. I'm interested in how this turns out. For one, I know this thing isn't going to take very long to get to 190 if I'm smoking at 225-250. So if I have a short cook time because this thing is so small, will it still be tender like a big brisket that goes for 8-12 hours? I have it rubbed and wrapped so we will see. Will also be my first time smoking in cold temps and I know that makes a difference as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    Tonight I'm smoking a 3lb brisket from Sams. I'm interested in how this turns out. For one, I know this thing isn't going to take very long to get to 190 if I'm smoking at 225-250. So if I have a short cook time because this thing is so small, will it still be tender like a big brisket that goes for 8-12 hours? I have it rubbed and wrapped so we will see. Will also be my first time smoking in cold temps and I know that makes a difference as well.
    I did a brisket last night and it came out awesome. Was worried about the cold ambient temp but it didn?t make much of a difference. Mac and cheese and green bean bundles on the side. 17 healthy today

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas_Dawg View Post
    I did a brisket last night and it came out awesome. Was worried about the cold ambient temp but it didn?t make much of a difference. Mac and cheese and green bean bundles on the side. 17 healthy today

Looks damn good Dallas. This small one has been weird. I went from room temp to 150 in an hour and it scared me how fast it was going. It hit a hard stall at 150 though. I wrapped it after an hour at 150 and now I’m at 175 and approaching 3 hours. Looks like it’s going to be a 3.5 cook and 30 min rest before I slice.

vCash
    Interested to see how that little one turns out. It would be nice to know that brisket is an option when you don?t have 12+ hours to do it properly.
    I was worried about the cold outdoor temp but it didn?t affect that much. It seemed like it took forever to get to 130 internal but once there it took off. Went up faster than I expected but turned out really good.
    Depending on how yours turns out, I may buy a full one and separate the poInt and flat and freeze one the next time I have a hankering for brisket.

vCash
    It was good not great. Flavor was good and was plenty juicy. I didn’t get the smoke flavor I wanted and it wasn’t as tender as I would have hoped. If I could do it over I’d smoke at 200 and extened that cook time to try to improve the final product. If I had a spiral deli slicer, it would make killer roast beef

Last edited by BeastMan; 12-10-2017 at 01:06 PM.

vCash
    Hit the stand before sunrise with temps in the high 20s. Sat til 9 and saw nothing. When I got down I checked and all my corn was gone, deer was on the camera, and there was a fresh pile of poop 20 yards in front of my stabs. They’re there, just got to hit them right.