Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ole Miss Running A Prison Up There?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Lance Allworth - he was a helluva receiver for the Chargers. Held the record for 1000 yard receiving seasons in a row (7), until Rice broke it. Tied with Megatron with most career 200 yard games. Chargers retired his number.
    His nickname was Bambi cause he was fast and graceful as a deer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    If he?s defending Ole Miss over this it has to be because they?re requesting that the NCAA block Mars requests for transfers. Would seem to be strange considering they just agreed with Mars that they could transfer.
    My guess is they didn't realize how bad it was going to be. They probably just figured it would be Shea and Jefferson and then the 8 others that Garrett mentioned a week or so ago. Now they are losing those guys plus one of their top corners in Jones and probably Greg Little among others.

If these transfers follow through it's almost like the NCAA passively aggressively put them on probation by allowing mass transfers and then just hit them light on scholarhip reductions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MedDawg View Post
    Believe it or not, it was for adopting a HS football star to get him to go to OM. I believe the player was Lance Allworth, who went to OM, got married, was kicked off the team by Vaught, and went on to star for Arkansas.

Here's the 1959 NCAA report:

https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/m...port?id=101698
    I wonder what was that movie was going to be called?**

I had no idea Alworth ever went to Ole Miss.

And it just goes to show what my Grandfather told me- they've been cheating forever.

vCash
    Because the University of Mississippi would not allow married students on the football team (Alworth had married while he was still in high school), Alworth chose UA, where he played for Frank Broyles. Alworth starred as a running back and led the nation?s college players in punt return yardage in 1960 and 1961. A marketing major, he was named an Academic All-American in 1961.

WHEREAS, the University'
    s representative in this case, an alumnus, apparently did not provide
    any assistance to the prospective student-athlete until after he (the alumnus) had been legally
    established as the prospective student-athlete's guardian, the guardianship decree being granted
    December 24, 1957, following conclusion of the prospect's senior football season;

WHEREAS, the financial assistance awarded by the university subsequently was cancelled
    because the young man became married during the summer of l958, thus violating one of the
    conditions of the university's award;
    Last edited by Percho; 12-06-2017 at 09:52 PM.

Banned
    vCash
    WAOM began with Lance Allworth

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    Lance Allworth is a name that rings a bell to me. I think he was a NFL wide receiver. damned good one at that.
    Damn ya'll are awful young or I am awful old Lance Allworth was tremendous Hall of Famer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Translation.... $$$ will stop if you think about going somewhere else.
    Wonder how much the sanctions bonus is to stay at OM?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    They are scared to death of Mars.
    Ever wonder just how much Mars knows?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TXDawg View Post
    That?s up to the NCAA and that?s what Mars is working on.
    Mars should just threaten to sue the NCAA. The NCAA will cave and grant waivers to people that didn't even request them. Threatening to sue seems to have worked for OM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I wonder what was that movie was going to be called?**

I had no idea Alworth ever went to Ole Miss.

And it just goes to show what my Grandfather told me- they've been cheating forever.
    He never went to OM, he wanted to but he had to get married and Vaught had a rule of no married players.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Damn ya'll are awful young or I am awful old Lance Allworth was tremendous Hall of Famer.
    LOL - Allworth retired before I was born. I remember him from NFL Films.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    He never went to OM, he wanted to but he had to get married and Vaught had a rule of no married players.
    Correct, he was from Brookhaven I believe and was married. Vaught had a rule against it. So he went to Ark and the rest is history.

Had the old crook known how good he was, he would have taken him anyway.

Vaught wasn't a genius, he went out and basically gave a scholarship to the QB on almost every good team. They were usually the best athletes, so when he got them, if it didn't work out at QB, he would switch them somewhere else.

He wouldn't be worth a damn in today's scholarship restricted world.

Integration and sholly limits drove that old cheating bastard out, not "heart problems"
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

Banned
    vCash
    yep. Vaught would take the QB's and RB's and make linebackers out of them.