Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
Mullen may have dipped out without saying much but that?s the way the business is. He could have handled it a little better but honestly, no matter what he said there would be people who hold it against him. I think he went out in the best possible way that would help us secure the next head coach easiest. Had he told recruits and players he was leaving they would have jumped ship and given up on the season. He let the people know that needed to know he was leaving and I really think he had State?s best interest in mind when doing this. We were great to him for 9 years and he changed our football program by setting the foundation for future success. He was smart enough to see the blueprint for State to compete and put that plan into action. He may be weird and he may be different but he and his family truly love and always will love State and Starkville and I hate to see it end like this. Hopefully down the road the people who feel betrayed will soften on that stance. He gave us a great 9 years and elevated the program and he did it THE RIGHT WAY. I?m thankful for Mullen and understand he needed a new challenge in life. I will always be grateful to Mullen and I hope State honors him in the future because he absolutely deserves it. I wish him success at Florida unless playing against us.
I think most people think he should have had the letter ready to go especially if he let Cohen and Keenum know months ago. The letter that was released was a reaction to the uproar from MSU fans. I don't think any type of business is handled like this. There are cases where management wants you to leave the premises if you are no longer employed but you say goodbye to your coworkers and employees. He also is now trying to poach recruits. You look at Coach Moorhead and he isn't contacting commits from Penn St that he or the new coach recruited.

I am sure the fire will die down eventually and he may be accepted if he returns to Starkville. He did elevate the program and did a lot of great things. It does matter how you leave though. He had referred to the job as a lateral move and they had talked down about the fans at UF. He has made passing references to his time at MSU but mostly to talk about how much he improved things. I think if he had a nice press release thanking the fans for his time here that was done as soon as he was announced that would have helped things. It also doesn't help that he is now trying to rip apart our signing class.