Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 67

Thread: Not understanding all the hate for Mullen

  1. #21
    Senior Member ShotgunDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    16,343
    vCash
    1100
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Why do you think he never embraced starkville or Mississippi?
    He just never spoke about how it was home or built the town up.

    In hindsight, Mullen did a great job but I don't think he was ever "All in"

    I think in his heart he just felt he was better than MSU or Starkville & that made it difficult for him to sell the place.

    While he did a great job at MSU, I think he viewed the MSU as a means to an end rather than a destination & that always kept him from getting over the hump.

    It would be great if we had a coach that was a great offensive mind & was all in to embrace Starkville & win big here hell or high water. We'll see if Moorhead is that guy. His Pittsburgh & steel mill background offers me hope that he has the type of background of someone that can sell & embrace the state of Mississippi at the necessary level to sell it to kids & families across the country. I think Moorhead's background offers him a greater chance of relating & embracing Mississippi people
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 12-06-2017 at 10:35 AM.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Tbonewannabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,948
    vCash
    1100
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    He's saying that the reason he left was he asked for 5 million and 300k in raises for his coaches and that Cohen said I can't do that. He's telling people there that Cohen is only interested in putting money in the baseball program and nothing else. Quote "Hope the new coach is interested in playing second fiddle to the baseball team". This comes from someone close to the uf program.

    I don't buy ole Danny boys story for one minute considering what resources our admin has put into ALL sports here. I think he was just ready to go. It's fine if you want to move on but talk down about our admin and especially Cohen who is one of us.
    He was already a top 15 paid coach and Grantham was paid $1 Mill per year with a 3 year deal. It sounds like he wanted a "reason" to leave. Baseball coaches are paid drastically below football so I don't know how much money going into baseball would even affect football. Unless he wanted some kind of facility upgrade and Cohen said it would have to wait until the baseball stadium was finished. Baseball is also our best opportunity to win a National Championship at MSU. Football and basketball (M&W) is a tougher environment. Women's basketball is probably the next best chance after baseball but UConn is like Bama football on steriods.

  3. #23
    Senior Member ShotgunDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    16,343
    vCash
    1100
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    As an aside - I was thinking something this morning. Did Dan actually do us a huge favor by leaving this year? We have a loaded team coming back. A team that I think will be good enough to challenge for the West - which defacto means be in the hunt for NC. I don't think Dan would have gotten us over that hump, and we would be royally pissed at a 10-2 record with 2 bed shittings against Auburn and Bama (or god forbid OM). Couple that with the probability that the Country Club was going to coast into the 2019 signing class thinking they had it made, which would have been a recipe for disaster. If those 2 things happened, I think there would have been a lot of talk after next year about moving on and I don't think Dan's ego would have handled that well. He'd be 2016 pissy, and the 2019 season could turn into a 2001 disaster- leading to a Jackie-esqu downfall. This may be the one time in history that we have had the best thing possible happen to us from a coaching turnover perspective.
    I think there is an excellent argument that for the long term ceiling of the program, Mullen leaving this year was for the best. The sucky part though is that had Mullen been "all in" we'd be in the Citrus Bowl right now & with a 9-3 record. However, now since we don't have a coaching staff, a 10-3, top 10 caliber team is probably going to finish unranked & with an 8-5 record. Mullen's situation royally 17ed this ceiling of this season & will likely cause us to be ranked far lower going into 2018 than we should be.

    So, for the long term, I agree that now was probably the best time, but for the short term, it sucks.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Tbonewannabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,948
    vCash
    1100
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    He just never spoke about how it was home or built the town up.

    In hindsight, Mullen did a great job but I don't think he was ever "All in"

    I think in his heart he just felt he was better than MSU or Starkville & that made it difficult for him to sell the place.

    While he did a great job at MSU, I think he viewed the MSU as a means to an end rather than a destination & that always kept him from getting over the hump.

    I would be great if we had a coach that was a great offensive mind & was all in to embrace Starkville & win big here hell or high water. We'll see if Moorhead is that guy. His Pittsburgh & steel mill background offers me hope that he has the type of background of someone that can sell & embrace the state of Mississippi at the necessary level to sell it to kids & families across the country. I think Moorhead's background offers him a greater chance of relating & embracing Mississippi people
    It always seemed like he was telling you what you wanted to hear but it always seemed not quite genuine. Looking back, I think I believed they liked Starkville because I wanted to think that. I personally would like to live there but it is more of my love for the university than anything else. Dan didn't have that and it kind of showed through the cracks. It is similar to how he looked getting off the plane at UF. He is smiling and doing the gator chomp but you can tell there is disappointment there because of the lack of fans or enthusiasm.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Commercecomet24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    6,516
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    It always seemed like he was telling you what you wanted to hear but it always seemed not quite genuine. Looking back, I think I believed they liked Starkville because I wanted to think that. I personally would like to live there but it is more of my love for the university than anything else. Dan didn't have that and it kind of showed through the cracks. It is similar to how he looked getting off the plane at UF. He is smiling and doing the gator chomp but you can tell there is disappointment there because of the lack of fans or enthusiasm.
    That's a very good description of how i feel as well.

    Yeah the gator chomp coming off the plane and the smile looked awfully forced. Like he was expecting way more in the form of a greeting. The scene at the airport was kind of sad to be honest, especially compared to the reception Coach Moorhead received.

  6. #26
    Senior Member Tbonewannabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    4,948
    vCash
    1100
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    That's a very good description of how i feel as well.

    Yeah the gator chomp coming off the plane and the smile looked awfully forced. Like he was expecting way more in the form of a greeting. The scene at the airport was kind of sad to be honest, especially compared to the reception Coach Moorhead received.
    Entirely different ends of the spectrum from fan excitement. We are pumped we were able to get such a good coach to replace Mullen and UF is disappointed that Chip Kelly, Scott Frost, and Mike Gundy turned them down.

  7. #27
    Senior Member BrunswickDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Home of Slay, GA
    Posts
    5,293
    vCash
    69667
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    He's saying that the reason he left was he asked for 5 million and 300k in raises for his coaches and that Cohen said I can't do that. He's telling people there that Cohen is only interested in putting money in the baseball program and nothing else. Quote "Hope the new coach is interested in playing second fiddle to the baseball team". This comes from someone close to the uf program.

    I don't buy ole Danny boys story for one minute considering what resources our admin has put into ALL sports here. I think he was just ready to go. It's fine if you want to move on but talk down about our admin and especially Cohen who is one of us.
    $300k for Grantham and the defensive staff? - I bet Cohen was down for that. $300k more for Gonzo and Hev? I hope Cohen told him to cram that up his ass.

  8. #28
    Senior Member ShotgunDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    16,343
    vCash
    1100
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    It always seemed like he was telling you what you wanted to hear but it always seemed not quite genuine. Looking back, I think I believed they liked Starkville because I wanted to think that. I personally would like to live there but it is more of my love for the university than anything else. Dan didn't have that and it kind of showed through the cracks. It is similar to how he looked getting off the plane at UF. He is smiling and doing the gator chomp but you can tell there is disappointment there because of the lack of fans or enthusiasm.
    I don’t think Dan and Megan disliked Starkville. I just think they were indifferent to it. Dan could sell his football program, but had trouble selling the school or town.

  9. #29
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    23
    vCash
    500
    I think most just wanted to believe Mullen had a little more fight in him and liked being the underdog. If he wins 2 National titles in his first 4 years at UF, then he might be Florida's 3rd most beloved coach after Meyer and Spurrier. If he takes MSU to Atlanta then he gets a statue, and if he wins in Atlanta then MSU teams 30 years from now are probably playing on Dan Mullen field. But it is what it is, he got out with his 33-39 SEC record and I thank him for stabilizing the program. It is going to take a very special person to embrace the challenges of being at MSU and really dig in and fight to get us to the next level. Scott and Dan were not those guys. It does not make them bad people. It simply means they wanted to take the easier road and MSU was not at the forefront of their minds.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Commercecomet24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    6,516
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    $300k for Grantham and the defensive staff? - I bet Cohen was down for that. $300k more for Gonzo and Hev? I hope Cohen told him to cram that up his ass.
    Just excuses to leave, I guess an attempt to build himself up and to make the uf fanbase feel like they are a bigger fish and have more "resources" than poor ole State. Extremely disappointing to me on his part.

  11. #31
    Senior Member ShotgunDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    16,343
    vCash
    1100
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Just excuses to leave, I guess an attempt to build himself up and to make the uf fanbase feel like they are a bigger fish and have more "resources" than poor ole State. Extremely disappointing to me on his part.
    This is kind of the thing. Other than ego, there was no good reason to leave.

    That's the part of this that everyone is struggling with. Mullen left for no good reason. He just left & I hope he pays for that decision.

  12. #32
    Senior Member Commercecomet24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    6,516
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    This is kind of the thing. Other than ego, there was no good reason to leave.

    That's the part of this that everyone is struggling with. Mullen left for no good reason. He just left & I hope he pays for that decision.
    Exactly. That is the reason everyone is struggling with it. He just left.

  13. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    320
    vCash
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    His regular season avg was 7.1 wins vs 4.9 losses. So just over a 7-5 coach on average. Also to his credit, he left the program in a great place. Some think that's good, some think it's not enough.
    I don?t hate dan. Appreciate the level he got us to.

    To use a golf analogy... dan was gonna have us on the Ryder cup team(or dang near it).

    But...at this point in his career he?s not the one you want to HAVE to make the 6 footer to win the Ryder cup. That?s IMHO

  14. #34
    Senior Member Dawg61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Gold, Mississippi
    Posts
    17,344
    vCash
    700
    I enjoy hating on Dem Mepperoni because the posters that is bothers are almost unanimously ones I don't like so I will continue to do so because they suck and so does Dung Mozzarella


  15. #35
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    33
    vCash
    500
    It’s simple, say what you mean and mean what you say!! Oh and don’t worry about other job openings, checking out on you current team, instead of preparing your team for a possible 9 win regular season and possible Ny 6 bowl game. Just my opinion! 17 Nad nellum

  16. #36
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    26
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgface View Post
    Don't understand it either. And all the new names for him is silly too.
    Ha. Man....glad others see how dumb the random made up names are.

    Just makes it seem like the people using them are still butt hurt about him moving on. Get over it and move on your self. If I were one to visit other fanbases forums (like so many are) and saw them referring to an old coach like that it it would appear to me that those are sore and can't get past it. They aren't even clever or insults for that matter.

    It also exudes the "little brother" mentality that MSU get's accused of all the time.

  17. #37
    Senior Member Dawg61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Gold, Mississippi
    Posts
    17,344
    vCash
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryBuff View Post
    Ha. Man....glad others see how dumb the random made up names are.

    Just makes it seem like the people using them are still butt hurt about him moving on. Get over it and move on your self. If I were one to visit other fanbases forums (like so many are) and saw them referring to an old coach like that it it would appear to me that those are sore and can't get past it. They aren't even clever or insults for that matter.

    It also exudes the "little brother" mentality that MSU get's accused of all the time.
    I view the posters bitching about the Dante Muffin names as the ones that are insecure and worried about other fanbases. The rest of us are unifying together and having fun with it. Almost unanimously we are all excited for Moorhead and think we have upgraded at the HC position so we are enjoying Merkel and the Gators thinking they scored a huge hire when we just got a better one than them in two days. Thanks Cohen!

  18. #38
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    26
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    I view the posters bitching about the Dante Muffin names as the ones that are insecure and worried about other fanbases. The rest of us are unifying together and having fun with it. Almost unanimously we are all excited for Moorhead and think we have upgraded at the HC position so we are enjoying Merkel and the Gators thinking they scored a huge hire when we just got a better one than them in two days. Thanks Cohen!
    Oooooooooh Dante Muffin You really got him. Here let me try with your name. Hawgs32. Got hiiiiim. What a knee slapper.

    That's about the response I expected though. If I wouldn't have even mentioned other fanbases looking at forums then your accusation of insecurities wouldn't even be there. Guess I set my self up for an easy one. Still though, about as creative as the random names.

    No one even mentioned any disappointment in Moorhead. Not sure where you pulled that from. It almost sounds to me like you are trying to justify your insecurities with that statement. Also, quit pretending Mullen won't have an effect at UF. They are a sleeping giant waiting to be woken up. No one is arguing that Mullen is better than Moorhead either. I'm way more happy with Moorhead than Mullen. One can only run the ball up the gut so many times before it doesn't work anymore. It wouldn't be that hard to be more creative than Mullen.

  19. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    6,600
    vCash
    483
    There was a lot of marketing for Dan's reputation. He was almost always able to get the benefit of the doubt, from that damn jump pass that put an L on our record at the very start. The making the bowl game thing is great except that it's easier than ever to do that with playing 12 games. Same with the 9 win seasons. Not as impressive in a 12 or 13 game season as in a 10 or 11 game season. Also, being ranked #1 and everybody remember that than the fact we lost 4 of 5 games to end the season. Finally, our weak finish to our up to then strong performance at the Bama game this year. Another L on our record, not to mention our readiness to play in the Egg Bowl. I'm not obsessed by these things; I'm just amazed that nobody seems to be aware of them.

    But don't get me too wrong. I liked Dan as a coach and generally enjoyed his years as our coach. But it was always our team, never his, not in the same way. And MSU is still our team. Not his anymore.

  20. #40
    Senior Member Dawg61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Gold, Mississippi
    Posts
    17,344
    vCash
    700
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryBuff View Post
    Oooooooooh Dante Muffin You really got him. Here let me try with your name. Hawgs32. Got hiiiiim. What a knee slapper.

    That's about the response I expected though. If I wouldn't have even mentioned other fanbases looking at forums then your accusation of insecurities wouldn't even be there. Guess I set my self up for an easy one. Still though, about as creative as the random names.

    No one even mentioned any disappointment in Moorhead. Not sure where you pulled that from. It almost sounds to me like you are trying to justify your insecurities with that statement. Also, quit pretending Mullen won't have an effect at UF. They are a sleeping giant waiting to be woken up. No one is arguing that Mullen is better than Moorhead either. I'm way more happy with Moorhead than Mullen. One can only run the ball up the gut so many times before it doesn't work anymore. It wouldn't be that hard to be more creative than Mullen.
    I'll stop calling him Muffin and other variations when I get bored with it. Not when someone who just signed up for this board two months ago wants me to.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Disclaimer: Elitedawgs is a privately owned and operated forum that is managed by alumni of Mississippi State University. This website is in no way affiliated with the Mississippi State University, The Southeastern Conference (SEC) or the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). The views and opinions expressed herein are strictly those of the post author and may not reflect the views of other members of this forum or elitedawgs.com. The interactive nature of the elitedawgs.com forums makes it impossible for elitedawgs.com to assume responsibility for any of the content posted at this site. Ideas, thoughts, suggestion, comments, opinions, advice and observations made by participants at elitedawgs.com are not endorsed by elitedawgs.com
Elitedawgs: A Mississippi State Fan Forum, Mississippi State Football, Mississippi State Basketball, Mississippi State Baseball, Mississippi State Athletics. Mississippi State message board.