Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not understanding all the hate for Mullen

vCash

Not understanding all the hate for Mullen

Mullen may have dipped out without saying much but that?s the way the business is. He could have handled it a little better but honestly, no matter what he said there would be people who hold it against him. I think he went out in the best possible way that would help us secure the next head coach easiest. Had he told recruits and players he was leaving they would have jumped ship and given up on the season. He let the people know that needed to know he was leaving and I really think he had State?s best interest in mind when doing this. We were great to him for 9 years and he changed our football program by setting the foundation for future success. He was smart enough to see the blueprint for State to compete and put that plan into action. He may be weird and he may be different but he and his family truly love and always will love State and Starkville and I hate to see it end like this. Hopefully down the road the people who feel betrayed will soften on that stance. He gave us a great 9 years and elevated the program and he did it THE RIGHT WAY. I?m thankful for Mullen and understand he needed a new challenge in life. I will always be grateful to Mullen and I hope State honors him in the future because he absolutely deserves it. I wish him success at Florida unless playing against us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    Mullen may have dipped out without saying much but that?s the way the business is. He could have handled it a little better but honestly, no matter what he said there would be people who hold it against him. I think he went out in the best possible way that would help us secure the next head coach easiest. Had he told recruits and players he was leaving they would have jumped ship and given up on the season. He let the people know that needed to know he was leaving and I really think he had State?s best interest in mind when doing this. We were great to him for 9 years and he changed our football program by setting the foundation for future success. He was smart enough to see the blueprint for State to compete and put that plan into action. He may be weird and he may be different but he and his family truly love and always will love State and Starkville and I hate to see it end like this. Hopefully down the road the people who feel betrayed will soften on that stance. He gave us a great 9 years and elevated the program and he did it THE RIGHT WAY. I?m thankful for Mullen and understand he needed a new challenge in life. I will always be grateful to Mullen and I hope State honors him in the future because he absolutely deserves it. I wish him success at Florida unless playing against us.
    Don is that you?

vCash
    I don't think people on here hate him. Time will heal fresh wounds and his time here will be remembered fondly.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    The fact that you feel the need and urge to post This should answer your question.

vCash
    It's real simple for me. He put his job hunting above finishing out seasons at MSU....We had a chance to go to the playoffs in 2014. Play in the Sugar Bowl in 2015. Play in the Citrus in 2017. Each of those years, we lost the Egg Bowl and our team looked unprepared (Yes, I know in 2017 we lost our QB but why doesn't the D pressure the QB? Double cover AJ?)

I hope he enjoys Florida and their fanbase. Bye.

vCash
    I don't hate Dom Murloni. I think it was time for a change. He left us better off than when he came. And I think for guys like C34 it may end up being a vindication that Donny Mullonoski was actually holding us back some. He'd peaked here. Mainly b/c he was a lazy recruiter and complacent about his tenure here at MSU. Oh, and he wouldn't upgrade his assistants on the offensive side of the ball b/c they were his BFFs.

vCash
    Don't understand it either. And all the new names for him is silly too.

vCash
    I don't hate him, but sure hope he fails down there, for the simple reason that means the Gators fail, and since they are now recruiting against us why shouldn't I?

vCash
    - I don't hate Mullen & actually am thankful for everything he did for MSU program, except losing a few Egg Bowls while trying to get another job.

- I've lost a ton of respect for him by how he has handled this change, continues to recruit players that are committed to a program he built, & how it's clear that he thought he was better than MSU, due to how he never embraced the state or the town. That's not a requirement for a coach, but it still would've shown a lot.

- I hope he falls on his face & sucks it up at Florida because that increases the value of the MSU coaching job. Mullen stinking at Florida shows that MSU can be a destination job as leaving for a more prominent school does not guarantee success.

vCash
    I personally think it is self serving. Some people jump on the bus as it leaves the station, others drive the bus. When the hate threads started, others piled on. They thought it was cute to invent names for Dan Mullen. Are we disappointed he left? Yes, I think 95% are deeply disappointed. I think they channeled their disappointment into attempts to be funny. We experienced some of the best football in our history. Dan built that. Dan does not deserve it. College football has become a business. If you were CEO of ABC Manufacturing, and DEF Corporation came after you with a huge pay raise and a better location to live, you would go too!
    Last edited by BulldogBacker; 12-06-2017 at 10:50 AM.

vCash

vCash
    His regular season avg was 7.1 wins vs 4.9 losses. So just over a 7-5 coach on average. Also to his credit, he left the program in a great place. Some think that's good, some think it's not enough.

vCash
    I appreciate what he did for us, I supported him from the get go. That being said I don't appreciate how he left and some of the stuff he's spreading among the uf faithful about Cohen and our admin are really not cool. No hate, just extreme disappointment in the way he's handled his departure, appreciate what he did, now glad he's gone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    - I don't hate Mullen & actually am thankful for everything he did for MSU program, except losing a few Egg Bowls while trying to get another job.

- I've lost a ton of respect for him by how he has handled this change, continues to recruit players that are committed to a program he built, & how it's clear that he thought he was better than MSU, due to how he never embraced the state or the town. That's not a requirement for a coach, but it still would've shown a lot.

- I hope he falls on his face & sucks it up at Florida because that increases the value of the MSU coaching job. Mullen stinking at Florida shows that MSU can be a destination job as leaving for a more prominent school does not guarantee success.
    Why do you think he never embraced starkville or Mississippi?

vCash
    It’s starting to sound like somebody’s ex on Facebook that just can’t shut up about how the guy did her wrong (even though she was a stay at home mom and got the $500,000 house), the one you eventually unfollow because you don’t want to see it anymore.

vCash
    It's just like hating the villain in wrassling. It more fun to boo him and call him names. All of.us know and appreciate that Dan raised the bar for us but that doesn't mean we have to kowtow to his memory for the rest of time. Over time he will be remembered fondly but he will also be remembered as the coach that quit before finishing the job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

^ This. I was a big defender of Rance Mulliniks, and didn't want to believe we were being used this whole time. The way he left opened the eyes of a lot of people, and you have to let people vent. When Jackie left, people were pissed at him for the way the program had become a shambles, but we still love him for what he did for the program. Rance will be seen in the same light in about 3-4 years.

As an aside - I was thinking something this morning. Did Dan actually do us a huge favor by leaving this year? We have a loaded team coming back. A team that I think will be good enough to challenge for the West - which defacto means be in the hunt for NC. I don't think Dan would have gotten us over that hump, and we would be royally pissed at a 10-2 record with 2 bed shittings against Auburn and Bama (or god forbid OM). Couple that with the probability that the Country Club was going to coast into the 2019 signing class thinking they had it made, which would have been a recipe for disaster. If those 2 things happened, I think there would have been a lot of talk after next year about moving on and I don't think Dan's ego would have handled that well. He'd be 2016 pissy, and the 2019 season could turn into a 2001 disaster- leading to a Jackie-esqu downfall. This may be the one time in history that we have had the best thing possible happen to us from a coaching turnover perspective.

vCash
    I think most people think he should have had the letter ready to go especially if he let Cohen and Keenum know months ago. The letter that was released was a reaction to the uproar from MSU fans. I don't think any type of business is handled like this. There are cases where management wants you to leave the premises if you are no longer employed but you say goodbye to your coworkers and employees. He also is now trying to poach recruits. You look at Coach Moorhead and he isn't contacting commits from Penn St that he or the new coach recruited.

I am sure the fire will die down eventually and he may be accepted if he returns to Starkville. He did elevate the program and did a lot of great things. It does matter how you leave though. He had referred to the job as a lateral move and they had talked down about the fans at UF. He has made passing references to his time at MSU but mostly to talk about how much he improved things. I think if he had a nice press release thanking the fans for his time here that was done as soon as he was announced that would have helped things. It also doesn't help that he is now trying to rip apart our signing class.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I appreciate what he did for us, I supported him from the get go. That being said I don't appreciate how he left and some of the stuff he's spreading among the uf faithful about Cohen and our admin are really not cool. No hate, just extreme disappointment in the way he's handled his departure, appreciate what he did, now glad he's gone.
    What's he saying about Cohen and company?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstatelp1 View Post
    What's he saying about Cohen and company?
    He's saying that the reason he left was he asked for 5 million and 300k in raises for his coaches and that Cohen said I can't do that. He's telling people there that Cohen is only interested in putting money in the baseball program and nothing else. Quote "Hope the new coach is interested in playing second fiddle to the baseball team". This comes from someone close to the uf program.

I don't buy ole Danny boys story for one minute considering what resources our admin has put into ALL sports here. I think he was just ready to go. It's fine if you want to move on but talk down about our admin and especially Cohen who is one of us.