Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
Yeah, as I said yesterday, it makes me wonder if the NCAA took the "politically correct" route in these sanctions by not taking away many schollies in an effort to not be taking away opportunities for young men, while making it extremely difficult for Ole Miss to land highly recruited players.

It will be interesting to see the affect of this sanction as it may lead the NCAA into a new era of how they sanction schools.
I think you are right about a new era of sanctions. The NCAA is very aware of how long their investigations take and that sanctions can impact players who were not around or involved in violations. This makes things like bowl bans and transfer waivers a better tool than heavy scholarship limits. I think the NCAA knew OM had a large class of graduating seniors, and a bunch of mercs on the team who would jump ship as soon as they were given the opportunity. They are staring down the barrel of only having 68-75 guys on the roster, half of whom (2017 and 2018 classes) aren't SEC caliber. It's gonna be real hard to land 21 SEC quality players in 2019 coming off 2-10, while having recruiting restrictions.