Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To the fans in the GT & surrounding areas..

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    Dumbest idea ever... Wait.. you will say do that with the football stadium next.

Takes money to have successful coaches and programs....

To the young student yelling screw all the people who don't show up..
    Shut up.. enjoy your free tickets and the wins.

The support will come with better opponents and more wins... and more sustained success over multiple years.
    We have money. Thanks ESPN. We'll make more money by filing the Hump every game with locals than we currently make by selling season tickets to empty bodies. Tired of the Hump atmosphere being held hostage by the same grumpy 2,000 that never show besides twice a year. You don't donate money to MSU because you expect something in return for it and you certainly shouldn't expect to have a seat in the Hump stay empty for you 18 times a season.

Banned
    vCash

I was at that game

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    It?s been tht way for one game in history that I?m aware of. It was also free if you didn?t have a ticket. The infamous ?Riff Raff? game with Bama back in the early 80s was supposedly one of the most raucous crowds of all time. The Golden Triangle was a complete hockey rink due to snow/sleet/freezing rain. Bama was already there so they elected to play the game. The word was put out that if you could get there, they would let you in, ticket or not. I was a student but l lived over on Lynn Lane. I tried to get there and nearly cracked up my car in the parking lot. From what I heard the crowd was basically students and locals who lived in walking distance. It supposedly was a small but wild crowd, and then some. MSU beat a favored Bama team. After the game Alabama coach Wimp Sanderson was asked about the crowd and he said, ?They opens up the doors and let the riff raff in.? A legend was born.
    My girlfriend and I walked (skidded and slipped) from Arbour Acres to the Hump. Before the game I had a 102 degree fever and felt like shit...but I just needed to get out of the apartment.

Anyway, my fever (quite literally) broke when Ken Harvey connected clocked that Bammer Center who kept cheap-shotting him. That was probably the wildest crowd I've ever seen at the Hump (second would be the 2004 MSU-OM game where Stans got ejected early and the vacant chair beat Ole Miss 84-56).

Banned
    vCash
    Hump vs Demarcus Cousins UK team was rowdy (he did the call me hand signal cause someone had posted his cell #)
    Hump vs Noah, Brewer, Horford UF team was awesome. White out game, totally packed and Florida was ranked #1 coming off a Nat. Championship.
    Hump vs UK when someone threw a water bottle on the court under a minute left in the game. We got robbed in that game like we did every year for about 4 years in a row till the refs finally gave us one in the SECT with the lane violation.

It's been about a decade since we've seen the Hump in its best form.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Hump vs Demarcus Cousins UK team was rowdy (he did the call me hand signal cause someone had posted his cell #)
    Hump vs Noah, Brewer, Horford UF team was awesome. White out game, totally packed and Florida was ranked #1 coming off a Nat. Championship.
    Hump vs UK when someone threw a water bottle on the court under a minute left in the game. We got robbed in that game like we did every year for about 4 years in a row till the refs finally gave us one in the SECT with the lane violation.

It's been about a decade since we've seen the Hump in its best form.
    I was at all three of those they were good but not really at the top. The best crowd I had ever been at at MSU until the 2014 Auburn football game was 1991 LSU in basketball. That’s the game where we claimed the first SEC title since the early 60s. You can’t imagine how intense that crowd was. We were starving for a Championship, and we got it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgRockur View Post
    17 you for not supporting this team.
    The season ticket fans in the lower bowl who don't show up, 17 you too.

Great turnout by the students. Props to the fans that came out and supported the team tonight. They deserve our support.
    Stay classy....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    I was a season ticket holder with my Dad for over 20 years. We gave them up when his health got bad enough he could no
    Longer go. A few observations on attendance: 1) we have never had great attendance for games prior to New Years. It?s worse now but it?s never been good. 2) We used to have a core group that was at nearly every game. They were long time season ticket holders who were promised they could keep the same seats as long as they bought tickets. A lot were yall?s despised blue hairs but many weren?t. There were groups that got rowdy no matter how old they were. They knew everyone around them and knew where the acceptable boundaries were. It made for a great crowd. It also kept people coming back because even if somebody in your group couldn?t make it and you had to go by yourself you knew there would be friends around at the game. Greg Byrne destroyed that. He repudiated the promise. He also instituted reseating the Hump every year. That meant you never knew who you would be sitting around and it was never the same from year to year. We kept ours for a while after that and we never sat by the same people game to game, much less year to year. All of the seats around us s were corporate seats. They were just as likely to have opponents or neutrals as Dawgs. And if they were Dawgs they were never rowdy. These were dang good seats remember. That hurt the atmosphere big time, and that hurt crowd size. Splitting the student section at the same time was a gigantic mistake. 3) winning makes for big crowds. We haven?t done much of that lately.

This is exactly right. LONG TIME fans who were in the seats all the time got booted for more money to the Bulldog club. Some were not even offered the CHANCE to up their donations to keep their seats. So, they kicked butts out of the seats for more money in the bank. They broke up game day "Families" for more money. Not sure how to get that back.

vCash
    At the last two games I attended, they are letting people come down to the lower level. A bunch of young guys (at my age that could 15-50 yrs) came an sat all around me on the floor and it was really pleasant having them there making a lot of noise, Its been quite lonely down there during the Rick Ray years and early Howland years. The floor seating was always pretty well full from the time they were installed until the RR era.

I don't know if all the seating down there has been sold or not, I originally had 8 but now only 2 for obvious reasons. Lets hope its changes and it will when he starts winning.

vCash
    61 don't count on my vote for you to be the next AD.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    How hard is it to just try this for the non-conference schedule next year? I just think that assigned seats that make our atmosphere terrible is not a good idea.
    Downvotes_Hype

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shannondawg View Post
    61 don't count on my vote for you to be the next AD.
    You keep glossing over that nice beautiful skybox lounge area I will build you with free drink and food and hot waitresses serving you. You'll love me as AD shannondawg. Scooba too.**

vCash
    Problem is the same as always. MSU catering to the season ticket holders at the cost of actual bodies in the seats. Need to make the tickets like you're going to the movies. First come first serve.

This is a terrible take. Why would the athletic department stop selling season tickets?

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jumbo View Post
    This is a terrible take. Why would the athletic department stop selling season tickets?
    Cause nobody is sitting in their seats during all the home games. We'll make more money by reselling the open seats and by making all the games first come first serve. It's the same reason why lots of restaurants don't take reservations on weekends. It's amazing to me that so many people feel like they should get the right to have a "reserved seat" yet suffer zero consequences when they leave their seats open every single game. I have said this before. The season tickets holders should press a button on their phone saying they are attending the game. If they don't their tickets should go up for resale 24 hrs before tipoff. Now MSU makes double off that seat that currently is being left empty. This way you can keep buying season tickets but those seats left empty will be taken by a general admission sale. MSU makes more money and the seats are filled.

vCash
    See ya later hostage takers. Make the entire Hump first come first serve.
    Sounds great. Until it's time to pay bills. Something has to pay the bills. And w women's hoops losing 4 million a year(and I'm all for us being good mind you) something has to help.

vCash
    Cause nobody is sitting in their seats during all the home games. We'll make more money by reselling the open seats and by making all the games first come first serve. It's the same reason why lots of restaurants don't take reservations on weekends. It's amazing to me that so many people feel like they should get the right to have a "reserved seat" yet suffer zero consequences when they leave their seats open every single game. I have said this before. The season tickets holders should press a button on their phone saying they are attending the game. If they don't their tickets should go up for resale 24 hrs before tipoff. Now MSU makes double off that seat that currently is being left empty. This way you can keep buying season tickets but those seats left empty will be taken by a general admission sale. MSU makes more money and the seats are filled.
    This could potentially cause a whole host of problems with older gen/forgetful people. If person A is a season ticket holder and forgets to push his button because as we all know life can get in the way of remembering things from time to time and person B buys that ticket how do you handle who gets to sit in that seat when they both show up? If it is a big game in a packed house it becomes a real problem.

I assure you once we get into conference play if we are still playing well you will see the Hump fill back up. A lot of these season ticket owners donate a lot more than just the minimum to receive season tickets lower level etc. Last thing you want to do is piss off some of the top 3-5% of your donors by giving their seats away.

My issue is with the business and corps that buy 15 season tickets and have nobody sitting at the games ever. The company my wife works for has 12 seats and nobody uses them. They maybe have someone at 3-5 games a year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    This could potentially cause a whole host of problems with older gen/forgetful people. If person A is a season ticket holder and forgets to push his button because as we all know life can get in the way of remembering things from time to time and person B buys that ticket how do you handle who gets to sit in that seat when they both show up? If it is a big game in a packed house it becomes a real problem.
    Dawg61's idea is good, but you would have to implement it in the opposite way. Any time with >24 hours from tipoff, you mark that you want your tickets to be resold. In order to act as a reminder, if the ticket gets sold, count it as a small donation to the athletic department in their name, raising their BC Membership rank. Face value $25? Mark that you won't use your two seats and if someone else scoops them up, BOOM! $50 donation to the university in your name.
    WHY IS EVERYONE YELLING?!?

Banned
    vCash
    we've forgotten what post season is which is no fault of the fans. Howland has yet to replicate anything close to what Stans did whether you guys like it or not.

time for Howland and crew to do 17ing something. We've proven in the past we can pack the Hump and it was not due to blind loyalty but due to winning 17ing games and creating some type of semblance of a post season team. it appears Howland is FINALLY on the cusp of doing this. Thank GOD.

wake up. we will pack the 17ing place like we have in the past. Howland knows this and so does Cohen. just prove it's not the same old SHIT.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogDX55 View Post
    Dawg61's idea is good, but you would have to implement it in the opposite way. Any time with >24 hours from tipoff, you mark that you want your tickets to be resold. In order to act as a reminder, if the ticket gets sold, count it as a small donation to the athletic department in their name, raising their BC Membership rank. Face value $25? Mark that you won't use your two seats and if someone else scoops them up, BOOM! $50 donation to the university in your name.
    I think just responding should get you points added too. Gives people incentive to respond. Even if you're coming to the game respond that you are and you get points. Let them know the seats are available and you get points added.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Sounds great. Until it's time to pay bills. Something has to pay the bills. And w women's hoops losing 4 million a year(and I'm all for us being good mind you) something has to help.
    Amen on that Homedawg! Not just from ticket revenue, but bulldog club donations really play into seat priority, and don't think it doesn't.

Not to change the subject, but is the women bb program still losing money? The reserved season tickets are sold out, and the general admission is pretty solid on the lower level, we haven't gotten to the point that the upper level has many fans but if they keep winning, the sec games may start filling up the upper level.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shannondawg View Post
    Amen on that Homedawg! Not just from ticket revenue, but bulldog club donations really play into seat priority, and don't think it doesn't.

Not to change the subject, but is the women bb program still losing money? The reserved season tickets are sold out, and the general admission is pretty solid on the lower level, we haven't gotten to the point that the upper level has many fans but if they keep winning, the sec games may start filling up the upper level.
    Lose money? Haha. Like I said, we will lose 4 mil this year on it. It brings in no money

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Lose money? Haha. Like I said, we will lose 4 mil this year on it. It brings in no money
    No money? Parking and season tickets, plus game day sales gotta add up to something. If I remember they calculated some value to the school for their trip to the finals.