Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I had a good discussion with a coach this morning....

vCash

I had a good discussion with a coach this morning....

About how far behind the state MS is coaching offense, there is so much wing-T and power running still taught in this state. I watched several games this year that looked very much like games I would have played in, that was a very long time ago. That said my question is when does this mindset change in MS when does it open up and we actually coach QB's in this state? This state is light years behind our neighboring states coaching offense. Any thoughts coaches?

vCash
    It has to do with Education level more than just coaching a different style. The education level of a large portion of the players in this state is LOW. Not even average. Low. Of course don’t take my word for it, I’ve only been teaching and coaching in this state for 16 years.
    You hear those bells mother-fudder....an Air-RAID is coming and that is yo ass!

vCash
    Maybe because innovative offensive coaches like that used to be here but they moved to other states for a better paycheck but that's just a guess

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DogsofAnarchy View Post
    It has to do with Education level more than just coaching a different style. The education level of a large portion of the players in this state is LOW. Not even average. Low. Of course don’t take my word for it, I’ve only been teaching and coaching in this state for 16 years.
    Excellent point, we aren't in school district where that's an issue but that's a great point. Are there as many of the districts in LA and AL?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coursesuper View Post
    Excellent point, we aren't in school district where that's an issue but that's a great point. Are there as many of the districts in LA and AL?
    There are as many of the districts in AL and LA but there are over twice as many students to chose from. AL and LA also annually rank higher in Education than Mississippi does.
    You hear those bells mother-fudder....an Air-RAID is coming and that is yo ass!

vCash
    I actually like some of the concepts in MS high school football. Makes the kids play physical

vCash
    There are as many of the districts in AL and LA but there are over twice as many students to chose from. AL and LA also annually rank higher in Education than Mississippi does.
    can't remember the stat, but I recently had an educator tell me that if you took out the Delta, MS ranks pretty well nationally. I realize you can't do that, but my point is most of the state is not as bad as the national perception.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I actually like some of the concepts in MS high school football. Makes the kids play physical
    You have no idea what I'm talking about then. Style of play and toughness are not mutually exclusive.

This is much more about player development in high school which is severely lacking in our state.

vCash
    What about those schools that are over performing in education , they are very small 2a, and the coach just runs the same bunched up misdirection run game. It sucks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by t45fixer View Post
    What about those schools that are over performing in education , they are very small 2a, and the coach just runs the same bunched up misdirection run game. It sucks.
    Well, the smallest 2A school, A lower level one, just won state with a 9th grade QB that put over 5000 yards and 53 TDS. The bottom line is coaches have to win games. They can?t recruit. They don?t have a lot of the resources other states have. The socio-economics of MS don?t allow a lot of 7V7 and quality weight programs. Coaching staff numbers are limited. Time is spread between other duties.
    Look at Bassfield. They tried for many years in the 90s to run the spread and couldn?t, even with those athletes. Went back to the wingT and dominate.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 12-03-2017 at 02:36 PM.

vCash
    We are a 1a school and our Coach / Assistant Principal / Grounds Keeper / Reserve Bus Driver......he is just a body the School Board put in there with very little experience. As you can guess, our record shows it, much less a positions or offensive coach. No slight against him, just stating facts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Well, the smallest 2A school, A lower level one, just won state with a 9th grade QB that put over 5000 yards and 53 TDS.
    Yeah and we were one of there victims. Taylorsville offense is light years beyond Clarkdale.

vCash
    Most coaches in MS have only played football only to high school at best. They're knowledge is subpar to states where football is taken more serious. You also have plenty of coaches who never even played the sport coaching. It's absurd.
    Last edited by bulldawg28; 12-03-2017 at 02:35 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Well, the smallest 2A school, A lower level one, just won state with a 9th grade QB that put over 5000 yards and 53 TDS.
    That is the exception not the rule.

vCash
    There are counties in this state with five (or maybe more) high schools that don?t need more than two max and could probably get away with one. You are going to be lucky if two of those schools have really good coaching and if the smaller schools have good coaches they will probably leave soon. There are just too many high schools in this state.
    More important is how this affects education but that?s an argument for another thread.

vCash
    Mississippi is one of the most corrupt states when it comes to Education.... most of occurs in the 150+ District Offices..... we need to configured school districts similar to MDOT districts....we only need 10 or so districts. That would leave a lot more money for Education and a lot less money for administration...

Banned
    vCash
    Here in Texas, it's basketball on turf. They have some wide-open offenses, but I don't see the toughness in their lineplay or defense you see in even the most primitive Mississippi high school football schemes.

It's exciting football, but I think the lack of toughness is one of the reasons Texas and Texas A&M suck.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutt the Hoople View Post
    Here in Texas, it's basketball on turf. They have some wide-open offenses, but I don't see the toughness in their lineplay or defense you see in even the most primitive Mississippi high school football schemes.

It's exciting football, but I think the lack of toughness is one of the reasons Texas and Texas A&M suck.
    Yes

vCash
    I would rather have what MS has then what TX has. It is the training ground for the Big XII, and non physical play. At least MS still has hitting and running between the tackles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutt the Hoople View Post

Agree, Texas kids, while great athletes, may lack some of the physicality of Ms, Al, and La kids. Lot's of pass rushers and pass blockers.

IMO a problem in Ms is lack of ability among coaches to coach OL and QB. Especially OL. I've watched many state championship games through the years and even those teams OL play is bad mostly.

It's one reason we can never seem to beat Al in the all star game. We can't block them
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times