Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: (Bully13 Thread Hijack) 20 films you'd take to a desert island...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I was raised on Lee Marvin. He is so revered by my Dad, he believes he isn?t dead and is living on the island of missing legends with Elvis. Great actor.
    He played a mean (funny) drunk. He is buried at Arlington, been to his grave just a simple military headstone. Other parts that I can remember, The Caine Mutiny, Bad day at Black Rock, the Delta Force, Death Hunt.
    Last edited by parabrave; 12-04-2017 at 02:14 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    He played a mean (funny) drunk. He is buried at Arlington, been to his grave just a simple military headstone.
    Paint Your Wagon! He could also be just mean - like in "The Wild One" with Brando. When I went to Arlington last December I took a picture of his headstone and sent it to my Dad. He replied "Fake News".

vCash
    He was a marine but missed Iwo Jima due to an injury on Saipan I think/
    Last edited by parabrave; 12-04-2017 at 02:47 PM.

Banned
    vCash
    Holy Shit. has no one mentioned Forest Gump?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Holy Grail, Meaning of Life, and Life of Brian are all repeat viewing candidates, lol.
    I love these movies but Holy Grail is one of my favorites.

vCash
    Blazing Saddles - funniest movie ever

Guardians of the Galaxy
    The Matrix - the first is easily the best
    The Dark Knight Trilogy
    Lord of the Rings Trilogy
    Star Wars Original Trilogy
    Last of the Mohicans - Daniel Day Lewis is awesome
    Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
    Saving Private Ryan
    Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2

Edge of Tomorrow - Live Die Repeat

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post

Guardians of the Galaxy
    The Dark Knight Trilogy
    Saving Private Ryan
    Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2

Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein and Blues Brothers and Animal House are automatically included

vCash

Guardians of the Galaxy
    The Dark Knight Trilogy
    Saving Private Ryan
    Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2

I love the Matrix. For a time, it was up there with one of my favorite all time films. I considered adding it to my list, but the damn sequels have sorta stained the original in my mind. I still love it, obviously, but those two sequels are just bad and drag down the lore a bit now. The Wachowski's haven't recovered since....though I did like aspects of Cloud Atlas.

It's funny, when Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions came out, I was so obsessed with The Matrix, I tried to convince myself that they weren't actually bad movies, but just misunderstood because they were so ambitious, lol...totally deluding myself. I guess it was a similar phenomenon with people telling themselves the Star Wars prequels are good films, lol.

vCash

Guardians of the Galaxy
    The Dark Knight Trilogy
    Saving Private Ryan
    Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2

Last of the Mohicans just missed my cut. That movie is so great. DDL was obviously amazing, but don't discount Wes Studi's role.

I listen to the musical score all the time. Michael Mann is one of my favorite directors (at least his films during the 90's), so I came down to choosing Heat or Mohicans...I chose Heat, but it was tough....and like I said before, my film choices are entirely based on nostalgia and memories, so my list a year from now (or tomorrow, lol) would likely look different than it does now.

Banned
    vCash
    Yep, gotta add Blazing Saddles to my list as well. cutting edge comedy. broke new ground just like Animal House.

Nobody ever seen "Where the Buffalo Roam"?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    I love the Matrix. For a time, it was up there with one of my favorite all time films. I considered adding it to my list, but the damn sequels have sorta stained the original in my mind. I still love it, obviously, but those two sequels are just bad and drag down the lore a bit now. The Wachowski's haven't recovered since....though I did like aspects of Cloud Atlas.

It's funny, when Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions came out, I was so obsessed with The Matrix, I tried to convince myself that they weren't actually bad movies, but just misunderstood because they were so ambitious, lol...totally deluding myself. I guess it was a similar phenomenon with people telling themselves the Star Wars prequels are good films, lol.
    Cloud Atlas was an ok 1 1/2 hour movie stuck in 3 hours of cinema. That movie just dragged on so long. I watched it but it was more out of interest on how they used the characters and showed development over time. It was an interesting premise. I was the same about The Matrix. My sister actually bought me the box set of all the movies plus the separate disks of extras along with the anime' movie. I still have it but I haven't watched it in quite a while. I will watch The Matrix about any time it comes on TV but in the sequels the CGI just about ruins it for me along with the let down of the ending. I am not a writer but the first had a lot of promise. They just didn't know where to really go with it.

I haven't seen Sense8 or whatever it is on Netflix. I think I will give it a try after I get caught up on the Marvel series.

Banned
    vCash
    Did anybody mention a few good men?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    Did anybody mention a few good men?
    No, but a great film.

vCash
    but in the sequels the CGI just about ruins it for me along with the let down of the ending.
    Couldn't agree more. Their recent bomb of cinematic hubris, "Jupiter Ascending", was more of the same, with even shittier story telling.

Speaking of the Wachowski's, their first film, "Bound" (1996, starring Jennifer Tilly, Gina Gershon, and Joe Pantoliano, a great character actor, who later played Cypher in Matrix [not to mention The Goonies, Memento, and The Sopranos]), is a really underrated neo-noir crime/mob flick.

vCash
    Hart's War, Spy Games, Geronimo (early 90s version).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    Geronimo (early 90s version).
    Wes Studi, not surprisingly, was great in that film.