Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Music Thread--If stranded on an island forever, what would be your 3 albums?

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    This one's for you, Brunswick:

vCash
    I love me some black keys, boys.

Also, Jack White is the ****in' truth.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    as an old 17, would be wiling to listen to some of this new shit you mellinials are spewing. I'll give it a go.
    And this is for you, 13:

Oh, and I definitely see where you're coming from with your comment about Lovin' Cup. Maybe this is just because my local stations were especially plasticized, but I'd say that the bulk of Exile, Beggar's, and Let It Bleed have all been woefully neglected on the radio. Listening to Exile now and wondering why the hell I heard more Bad Company and Rod Stewart singles on my "Classic Rock" stations growing up than songs like Sweet Virginia and Torn and Frayed.
    Last edited by Prediction? Pain.; 12-12-2017 at 10:51 PM.

vCash
    Interesting discussion about the Black Keys. I used to like them . . . when they were called the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion:

And the Flat Duo Jets:

And Captain Beefheart:

And Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones and the Kinks and Buddy Holly and every band on Crypt Records and every band with at least one British person in it that made music between 1964 and 1966 . . . .

Zing!

But seriously, when it comes to blues-based rock, it's turtles all the way down. Dig on what you dig, and live and let live.

Unless of course you don't like Pink Floyd, in which case you can go straight to hell.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prediction? Pain. View Post
    This one's for you, Brunswick:
    I'd totally forgotten about that song! Love Pavement.

vCash

And Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones and the Kinks and Buddy Holly and every band on Crypt Records and every band with at least one British person in it that made music between 1964 and 1966 . . . .

Zing!

But seriously, when it comes to blues-based rock, it's turtles all the way down. Dig on what you dig, and live and let live.

Unless of course you don't like Pink Floyd, in which case you can go straight to hell.
    FLAT DUO JETS!!!!! Dexter is the shit. Saw them in Athens in 1992 - crazy ass show at a house party somewhere off Milledge Ave. The alcohol consumed that night, and the massive amount of smoke in the air was impressive. You could barely see the performance. And it was loud as hell. Jack White loves Dexter too, and admits he was a huge influence on him.

Your point is spot on about how in each generation, blues/rock kind of strips itself down and reinvents itself. All those 60s Brit guys wanted to be Mississippi John Hurt, BB King, Lightening Hopkins, etc. All the 70s Southern Rock guys wanted to be T Bone Walker and Albert King. I don't know WTF happened in the 80s, but at the tail end you had The Black Crowes bring us back to earth trying be Otis Redding and Clapton came back out of his heroin haze. And it continues to repeat the cycle. The last few years, you have had a lot of artists influenced by all those acts who were trying to be old school blues musicians - and they have made some really interesting music.

Thinking about the "Old Timers" like 13 - my Dad was the same way. He told me once that after the Beatles got heavy into drugs, it ruined rock and he quit listening. He was a big on early Stones, the Kinks, etc. Oddly enough, now that he has retired, he has discovered satellite radio and opened back up to music. I caught him listening to the Pearl Jam channel. I was like "Dad. WTF?" He said, "Have you heard of Pearl Jam? They are really good." I said "Uh, yeah. They are only the biggest band of my generation." He has started liking a lot of the Americana style bands to - all that bluegrass influence sounds like home to Appalachian people.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I'd totally forgotten about that song! Love Pavement.
    I figured that song would've had to have found its way to you back in the day. It's so damn funny in a way only Pavement could pull off. And yeah, they're one of my favorites, too. They were the perfect band for the male suburban slacker in the 90s, yet have aged wonderfully.

vCash
    LZ IV
    Friday Soundtrack
    INXS Kick

Second 3:

GNR Appetite
    Eminem- The Slim Shady LP
    Jimi Hendrix- Are you experienced?
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

Banned
    vCash
    And this is for you, 13:

Oh, and I definitely see where you're coming from with your comment about Lovin' Cup. Maybe this is just because my local stations were especially plasticized, but I'd say that the bulk of Exile, Beggar's, and Let It Bleed have all been woefully neglected on the radio. Listening to Exile now and wondering why the hell I heard more Bad Company and Rod Stewart singles on my "Classic Rock" stations growing up than songs like Sweet Virginia and Torn and Frayed.
    Great post dude. gracias. lmao on the cartoon as well. Exile is the 17ing bomb. Beggars was the 1st time they wrote their own blues songs. but I still love their cover of Robert Johnson's "Love in Vain".

https://youtu.be/-BkPm8JIJJQ

vCash
    Allman Brothers first album
    Dave Matthews Band - Crash
    A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step

vCash
    Tom Petty - Full Moon Fever
    Eagles - Very Best Of
    Kansas - The Best of Kansas
    All Aboard and Soft Landings!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty Dispatch View Post
    A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step
    Great album! The Outsider is probably my favorite track (it's got a really cool 3/4 time signature).

vCash
    Add in Hotel California, Fly Like an Eagle and Framptom Comes Alive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Great album! The Outsider is probably my favorite track (it's got a really cool 3/4 time signature).
    That is a good song but I would actually say it's my least favorite on the album, which speaks to how good the album is. Gravity is probably my favorite song if I had to pick one.

Banned
    vCash
    17, I'm getting old. Ive listened to yalls stuff but I cant relate. But hey, I did give it a go, no?

I will admit one thing though. Back in the 90s, a youngstet turned me on to Live and "Lightening Crashes" floored me. Still tap in to that on occasion.

I was always 17ing with him about how his age groups music sucked but I had to eat crow and pay homage after listening to that song.

Yall ever listened to buffets "pirate looks at 40"?
    Last edited by Bully13; 01-24-2018 at 03:29 PM.

vCash
    Pirate Looks at 40 is one of the greatest songs. Always makes me think of my Dad.

Banned
    vCash
    Pirate Looks at 40 is one of the greatest songs. Always makes me think of my Dad.
    Did he smuggle weed? Lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    Did he smuggle weed? Lol
    Lol, no. He could smoke it well enough, but not smuggle it. In the 70s, my Dad looked like a dark haired Buffett. Same hairstyle, same mustache. Fished a lot. Same **** it southern sense and sensibility. Drank a lot of Evan Williams or PBR. Buffett was a household staple

Banned
    vCash
    Lol, no. He could smoke it well enough, but not smuggle it. In the 70s, my Dad looked like a dark haired Buffett. Same hairstyle, same mustache. Fished a lot. Same **** it southern sense and sensibility. Drank a lot of Evan Williams or PBR. Buffett was a household staple
    An over 40 viictim of fate? Arriving too late?
    Last edited by Bully13; 01-26-2018 at 07:15 PM.