Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Music Thread--If stranded on an island forever, what would be your 3 albums?

Banned
    vCash

Music Thread--If stranded on an island forever, what would be your 3 albums?

Music is an interesting topic. what I generally like depends on the setting and whom I'm around. I've often thought that your favorite and most intimate favorites though would be if you were isolated by yourself forever.

My 3 choices would be Dark Side of the Moon, Beggar's Banquet, & Exile on Main Street. (yeah, I'm a Stones fan)

However I would be sorely missing :

Zeppelin's "The Rover" , "Thank You" & "Bring it on Home". plus several others from Zep

Jimmy Buffet's " A Pirate Looks at 40"

Willie Nelson's version of "Always on my Mind", Johnny Cash's " Sunday Morning Sidewalk"

Elvis Presley's "American Trilogy" and his cover of "I did it My Way"

vCash
    Dark side of the moon, Quadrophenia and Tommy. Im a who nut

vCash
    Foo Fighters - Greatest Hits - if you can't have a greatest hits then I would pick In Your Honor

Kings of Leon - The Collection - this is also kind of cheating since it is basically their first 4 albums

Led Zepplin - IV

Soundgarden - Down on the Upside - if Kings of Leon is cheating

vCash
    NOFX - Punk in Drublic

The Beatles - 1

Elliott Smith - Either/Or

...but no ****ing way I could settle at 3, lol. I reject your reality, Bully13!!!!

I'd find a way to smuggle in:

Pixies - Doolittle

Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy

John Williams - Cinematic Scores Greatest Hits

U2 - Joshua Tree

Nine Inch Nails - Pretty Hate Machine

Nirvana - In Utero

The Offspring - The Offspring (self-titled)

Dr. Dre - Cronic

Foo Fighters - Wasting Light

vCash
    3 would be next to impossible for me, I?d only be able to survive with 10 - and I?d be pissed at only 10. All these have backstories as to why they are special and I can?t live without them (I?ll spare you that)

Rush - Signals
    REM - Fables of the Reconstruction
    Stevie Ray Vaughan - Couldn?t Stand the Weather
    Pink Floyd - Meddle
    The Police - Ghost in the Machine
    The Allman Brothers Band - Live at the Fillmore
    Pearl Jam - 10
    Guadalcanal Diary - 2x4
    The Black Crowes - Southern Harmony and Musical Companion
    Blind Melon - Blind Melon
    Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 11-30-2017 at 08:06 PM.

vCash
    And I?ll add - I don?t there is a shitty album on this list so far - y?all got some good taste.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    I can say the first two without any hesitation:

1. Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon (I best have some fancy coconut headphones and a water-wheel-powered turntable on this deserted island)

2. Miles Davis's Kind of Blue

There have been periods in my life where I may as well have been on a desert island with only those records, so this isn't really a hypothetical answer.

[Related side note: If y'all haven't listened to a high-end pressing of Dark Side in a dimly lit room with headphones, you should give it a whirl.]

[Side note related to first side note: I'm not a total stoner. I promise.]

I'm having trouble picking the third, though. I set my phone down and thought about it for a while. The first two choices are almost instinctual. My two favorite albums, and I can and do listen to them regularly. But any number of records could be my third favorite. A Duane-era Allman Bros album, a Brian Jones-era Stones album, a post-Rubber Soul Beatles album, a late-50s Thelonious Monk album, Red Headed Stranger, a Pavement album, one or two other Floyd albums, and so on and so on.

I then realized that it was pointless to try to pick my third favorite album for this exercise. Instead, I figured that I needed something fun and simple on my island that I could listen to repeatedly without getting bored or depressed. Dark Side and Kind of Blue are a lot of things, but simple is not one of them.

The first two that popped into my head fitting that bill were Abbey Road and that collection of all of Mississippi John Hurt's 1928 recordings on Okeh Records. Either would be great. But then I thought that it'd be nice for the third to be a country album. And so I landed on:

3. Paul Burch's Blue Notes

Burch played a little with the indie-rock band Lambchop back in the day and may have done a duet or two with Ralph Stanley, but otherwise is relatively little known. Just a dude from Nashville with an incredible voice who writes awesome old school country songs.
    Last edited by Prediction? Pain.; 11-30-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Pink Floyd - Meddle
    Hell yes. This or Wish You Were Here could easily have been my third. If the topic was three songs instead of albums, "Echoes" almost surely makes the cut.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prediction? Pain. View Post
    Hell yes. This or Wish You Were Here could easily have been my third. If the topic was three songs instead of albums, "Echoes" almost surely makes the cut.
    Well, I?m impressed with your Miles Davis. I almost added Miles and Quincy Jones: Live at Montreux. Such a great live retrospective of his whole career - from Porgy and Bess to Boplicity. Blues from Pablo on it is sublime.

vCash
    Willie Nelson-Countryman
    Johnny Cash-Live at Folsom
    GnR-Appetite
    The Dead-9/9/74
    Allmans- at the Fillmore east
    REM-Document
    Black Crowes-Southern Musical
    Stones-Let it Bleed
    Eagles-greatest hits
    NMAS-shake hands with shorty
    any Coltrane I could find
    Wrap it in Maroon and White

vCash
    I would add:

Sturgill Simpson - A Sailor's Guide to Earth

Just started listening to him but I listen to this a lot at work on my headphones.

vCash
    Well if its an island guess I'll have to have every JB, Leon Russell and Robert Plant.

vCash
    I'd also add:

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
    Modest Mouse - Good News for People who Like Bad News
    Rage Against the Machine - Self titled 1992
    REM - New Adventures in HiFi
    The Killers - Sam's Town
    Regina Spektor - Soviet Kitsch
    Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
    Weezer - Blue Album
    Phil Collins - No Jacket Required

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    I'd also add:

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
    Modest Mouse - Good News for People who Like Bad News
    Rage Against the Machine - Self titled 1992
    REM - New Adventures in HiFi
    The Killers - Sam's Town
    Regina Spektor - Soviet Kitsch
    Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
    Weezer - Blue Album
    Phil Collins - No Jacket Required
    Dire Straits : Making Movies. "Juliet, "...etc...

Phil Collins is boring...

as an old 17, would be wiling to listen to some of this new shit you mellinials are spewing. I'll give it a go.

greatest song in rock that never heard the airwaves? "Loving Cup" by the Stones "Exile"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    Phil Collins is boring...

vCash
    AWOLNation - Megalithic Symphony. Sail is one of my favorite songs and Burn It Down is one of those songs that makes you want to break everything. Great workout song.

I can't believe I just overlooked The Black Keys. It would be one of my 3 albums.

The Black Keys - El Camino is one of my favorite albums ever.

Drivin' N' Cryin' - Fly Me Courageous is also an awesome album.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    AWOLNation - Megalithic Symphony. Sail is one of my favorite songs and Burn It Down is one of those songs that makes you want to break everything. Great workout song.

I can't believe I just overlooked The Black Keys. It would be one of my 3 albums.

The Black Keys - El Camino is one of my favorite albums ever.

Drivin' N' Cryin' - Fly Me Courageous is also an awesome album.
    You just destroyed all your music credibility with Drivin' N' Cryin'***
    My least favorite band. Ever. No contest. I've even told Kevn Kinney to his face how much I hate his band (which made his buddy Peter Buck howl with laughter).

I do like the Black Keys, even though they did rip off Jack White.

vCash
    You just destroyed all your music credibility with Drivin' N' Cryin'***
    My least favorite band. Ever. No contest. I've even told Kevn Kinney to his face how much I hate his band (which made his buddy Peter Buck howl with laughter).

I do like the Black Keys, even though they did rip off Jack White.
    One of our best friends used to work on their tours. I had hardly heard of them before she took us to a show. They are fantastic live and Kevin is about the nicest guy you will meet.

I like The White Stripes but I think The Black Keys are better. Seven Nation Army is a fantastic song though but Little Black Submarine and Gold on the Ceiling are 2 of my favorite songs ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    One of our best friends used to work on their tours. I had hardly heard of them before she took us to a show. They are fantastic live and Kevin is about the nicest guy you will meet.

I like The White Stripes but I think The Black Keys are better. Seven Nation Army is a fantastic song though but Little Black Submarine and Gold on the Ceiling are 2 of my favorite songs ever.
    I've heard that about Kevn - and know people who know people too, and they say he is a good cat. He and DnC have mentored a lot of ATL bands too. My DnC thing is a taste and exposure thing. They were basically the "house band" at 96Rock in Atlanta when I was in HS. You couldn't go 30 minutes without hearing them, or them being in studio, or some promo going on about them. It got to the point where Kevn's voice started grating on my nerves because it was on the radio all the damn time. I get to State and "Fly me Courageous" comes out, and it hits big, and its DnC all the time everywhere I go. It was like Chinese water torture to my ears. Couple of years later at a U2 show, I got the chance to meet Pete Buck and Kinney was with him. Has a nice brief conversation with them, and got Pete's autograph, then and Pete says - "this is Kevn Kinney from DnC". I deadpanned "Hi Kevn, I can't stand your band." Kevn looked stunned and Pete just howls. I did follow that up with an explanation of my "burnout". 2nd most famous person I ever made laugh.

My Jack White/Black Keyes thing was a reference to Jack White feuding with Dan Auerbach. I like both.

vCash
    I've heard that about Kevn - and know people who know people too, and they say he is a good cat. He and DnC have mentored a lot of ATL bands too. My DnC thing is a taste and exposure thing. They were basically the "house band" at 96Rock in Atlanta when I was in HS. You couldn't go 30 minutes without hearing them, or them being in studio, or some promo going on about them. It got to the point where Kevn's voice started grating on my nerves because it was on the radio all the damn time. I get to State and "Fly me Courageous" comes out, and it hits big, and its DnC all the time everywhere I go. It was like Chinese water torture to my ears. Couple of years later at a U2 show, I got the chance to meet Pete Buck and Kinney was with him. Has a nice brief conversation with them, and got Pete's autograph, then and Pete says - "this is Kevn Kinney from DnC". I deadpanned "Hi Kevn, I can't stand your band." Kevn looked stunned and Pete just howls. I did follow that up with an explanation of my "burnout". 2nd most famous person I ever made laugh.

My Jack White/Black Keyes thing was a reference to Jack White feuding with Dan Auerbach. I like both.
    Yeah, I have heard about the whole Jack saying Dan stole his sound thing. It is kind of funny to me since Jack didn't invent a drum and blues guitar sound. The music does sound similar but not many bands have a truly unique sound. Everyone pretty much was influenced by someone at some point.

Talking about DnC, it is funny because Kevin seems to mentor guys now. Jason Isabell now is one of those guys that he mentored. Aaron Lee Tasjan is another that KK started let tour with them and now has some good solo stuff. Kevin for the past 2 years has done some shows at City Winery in Atlanta that he has guys come in and play. Peter Buck was actually one of them one week. It is a great show with that is a very interesting set up. You eat dinner while they are on a small stage playing. Very cool atmosphere. He might play a little DnC but then they just jam on whatever.