Quote Originally Posted by Prediction? Pain. View Post

And Led Zeppelin and the Rolling Stones and the Kinks and Buddy Holly and every band on Crypt Records and every band with at least one British person in it that made music between 1964 and 1966 . . . .

Zing!

But seriously, when it comes to blues-based rock, it's turtles all the way down. Dig on what you dig, and live and let live.

Unless of course you don't like Pink Floyd, in which case you can go straight to hell.
FLAT DUO JETS!!!!! Dexter is the shit. Saw them in Athens in 1992 - crazy ass show at a house party somewhere off Milledge Ave. The alcohol consumed that night, and the massive amount of smoke in the air was impressive. You could barely see the performance. And it was loud as hell. Jack White loves Dexter too, and admits he was a huge influence on him.

Your point is spot on about how in each generation, blues/rock kind of strips itself down and reinvents itself. All those 60s Brit guys wanted to be Mississippi John Hurt, BB King, Lightening Hopkins, etc. All the 70s Southern Rock guys wanted to be T Bone Walker and Albert King. I don't know WTF happened in the 80s, but at the tail end you had The Black Crowes bring us back to earth trying be Otis Redding and Clapton came back out of his heroin haze. And it continues to repeat the cycle. The last few years, you have had a lot of artists influenced by all those acts who were trying to be old school blues musicians - and they have made some really interesting music.

Thinking about the "Old Timers" like 13 - my Dad was the same way. He told me once that after the Beatles got heavy into drugs, it ruined rock and he quit listening. He was a big on early Stones, the Kinks, etc. Oddly enough, now that he has retired, he has discovered satellite radio and opened back up to music. I caught him listening to the Pearl Jam channel. I was like "Dad. WTF?" He said, "Have you heard of Pearl Jam? They are really good." I said "Uh, yeah. They are only the biggest band of my generation." He has started liking a lot of the Americana style bands to - all that bluegrass influence sounds like home to Appalachian people.