Thread: Music Thread--If stranded on an island forever, what would be your 3 albums?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    I can say the first two without any hesitation:

1. Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon (I best have some fancy coconut headphones and a water-wheel-powered turntable on this deserted island)

2. Miles Davis's Kind of Blue

There have been periods in my life where I may as well have been on a desert island with only those records, so this isn't really a hypothetical answer.

[Related side note: If y'all haven't listened to a high-end pressing of Dark Side in a dimly lit room with headphones, you should give it a whirl.]

[Side note related to first side note: I'm not a total stoner. I promise.]

I'm having trouble picking the third, though. I set my phone down and thought about it for a while. The first two choices are almost instinctual. My two favorite albums, and I can and do listen to them regularly. But any number of records could be my third favorite. A Duane-era Allman Bros album, a Brian Jones-era Stones album, a post-Rubber Soul Beatles album, a late-50s Thelonious Monk album, Red Headed Stranger, a Pavement album, one or two other Floyd albums, and so on and so on.

I then realized that it was pointless to try to pick my third favorite album for this exercise. Instead, I figured that I needed something fun and simple on my island that I could listen to repeatedly without getting bored or depressed. Dark Side and Kind of Blue are a lot of things, but simple is not one of them.

The first two that popped into my head fitting that bill were Abbey Road and that collection of all of Mississippi John Hurt's 1928 recordings on Okeh Records. Either would be great. But then I thought that it'd be nice for the third to be a country album. And so I landed on:

3. Paul Burch's Blue Notes

Burch played a little with the indie-rock band Lambchop back in the day and may have done a duet or two with Ralph Stanley, but otherwise is relatively little known. Just a dude from Nashville with an incredible voice who writes awesome old school country songs.
    Last edited by Prediction? Pain.; 11-30-2017 at 08:53 PM.