Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paging Coach34, Would love to hear your thoughts on our new Head Coach

vCash

Paging Coach34, Would love to hear your thoughts on our new Head Coach

Would really love to hear your thoughts on our new Head Coach.

vCash
    I love the hire. I’m an offensive guy so I was hoping we would go that route again. To me, it’s just easier to find good DC’s to be on staff.

I became familiar with Moorhead’s work thru SpreadOffense.com on Twitter this past summer. You need to go there and check it out. They have cut ups of various RPO concepts that are easy to view. What team did they show more often than most? Penn State

when asked about Mullen yesterday- I talked about his lack of innovation. We don’t have to worry about that with this guy. He is a leader in the coaching profession with creating RPO’s and other tweaks. I expect him to do very well in the coaching aspect. With that said- good coaches want to be a part of and work for an innovative guy- which also helps us. Make sure we get some solid recruiters and let’s get to work

Hail State

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    I love the hire. I?m an offensive guy so I was hoping we would go that route again. To me, it?s just easier to find good DC?s to be on staff.

I became familiar with Moorhead?s work thru SpreadOffense.com on Twitter this past summer. You need to go there and check it out. They have cut ups of various RPO concepts that are easy to view. What team did they show more often than most? Penn State

when asked about Mullen yesterday- I talked about his lack of innovation. We don?t have to worry about that with this guy. He is a leader in the coaching profession with creating RPO?s and other tweaks. I expect him to do very well in the coaching aspect. With that said- good coaches want to be a part of and work for an innovative guy- which also helps us. Make sure we get some solid recruiters and let?s get to work

Hail State
    Thanks for the information Coach34.... This answered some questions and gave answers as to where to look... for other answers.

vCash
    I love the hire. I’m an offensive guy so I was hoping we would go that route again. To me, it’s just easier to find good DC’s to be on staff.

I became familiar with Moorhead’s work thru SpreadOffense.com on Twitter this past summer. You need to go there and check it out. They have cut ups of various RPO concepts that are easy to view. What team did they show more often than most? Penn State

when asked about Mullen yesterday- I talked about his lack of innovation. We don’t have to worry about that with this guy. He is a leader in the coaching profession with creating RPO’s and other tweaks. I expect him to do very well in the coaching aspect. With that said- good coaches want to be a part of and work for an innovative guy- which also helps us. Make sure we get some solid recruiters and let’s get to work

Hail State
    Thats awesome! Thanks for your assessment, much appreciated! I'm gonna check out that website. He looks like a winner!

HailState

Rep Given!

vCash

Hail State

Yes - well said

vCash
    Good points C34.

I think there’s good and bad to this:

1.) I think the guy is a fantastic play caller (and as C34 alluded to) he’s aggressive in his play calling. I think that he’ll help MSU against teams like Bama with this type of aggressive play calling because to beat UA you’ve gotta take shots down the field vertically. I think we’ll do that with Moorehead.

2.) He not only runs the spreadbut it’s a similar system to what Mullen ran while he was here. So systematically it won’t completely confuse the pieces we already have here at MSU. What do I mean? Some of you were clamoring for Leach, and look I understand the appeal for him but guys trying to ask him to come in here and win with Fitz & the other kids would be like trying to win the Daytona 500 with a Mack truck. It doesn’t add up. I think a spread running type OC is exactly what we needed here and we got him.

3.) He’s beloved by his peers & his players. So that’s a good sign too. And stop with the “well I wished we would’ve gotten a guy from down south kind of guy.” Mullen was from up north and look what he did. 2nd winningest coach all Time.

The bad...if there’s any:

I know Mullen (regardless of how mad you are at him or if he handled leaving right or wrong) was a great QB coach, he really was. Stop being emotional and call him what he was for us. Anybody who could do with Relf what he did, he must’ve been pretty dadgum good! So what does this have to do with Moorehead?

A.) Nick needs someone to help him develop his game, otherwise it’ll be a tough sell for a legit QB to come here. I don’t know how good or bad Moorehead is in this area but he’s not AS good as Mullen because he’s probably the best in CFB at it. Once the emotion of him leaving wears off we’ll agree when it’s over. So we’ll have to do a better job of selling MSU to QBs or get an elite guy who is awesome at developing skill guys to sustain success. That’s my only knock. Knox, as bad as he was and the way it ended here recently was a VERY GOOD RB coach. He really was, I know the guy. So we’ll need another guy like that to assist Moorehead to make a hard push on recruits. And we may already have him on the way, I don’t know. But Moorehead will need help.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach 57 View Post
    Good points C34.

I think there?s good and bad to this:

1.) I think the guy is a fantastic play caller (and as C34 alluded to) he?s aggressive in his play calling. I think that he?ll help MSU against teams like Bama with this type of aggressive play calling because to beat UA you?ve gotta take shots down the field vertically. I think we?ll do that with Moorehead.

2.) He not only runs the spreadbut it?s a similar system to what Mullen ran while he was here. So systematically it won?t completely confuse the pieces we already have here at MSU. What do I mean? Some of you were clamoring for Leach, and look I understand the appeal for him but guys trying to ask him to come in here and win with Fitz & the other kids would be like trying to win the Daytona 500 with a Mack truck. It doesn?t add up. I think a spread running type OC is exactly what we needed here and we got him.

3.) He?s beloved by his peers & his players. So that?s a good sign too. And stop with the ?well I wished we would?ve gotten a guy from down south kind of guy.? Mullen was from up north and look what he did. 2nd winningest coach all Time.

The bad...if there?s any:

I know Mullen (regardless of how mad you are at him or if he handled leaving right or wrong) was a great QB coach, he really was. Stop being emotional and call him what he was for us. Anybody who could do with Relf what he did, he must?ve been pretty dadgum good! So what does this have to do with Moorehead?

A.) Nick needs someone to help him develop his game, otherwise it?ll be a tough sell for a legit QB to come here. I don?t know how good or bad Moorehead is in this area but he?s not AS good as Mullen because he?s probably the best in CFB at it. Once the emotion of him leaving wears off we?ll agree when it?s over. So we?ll have to do a better job of selling MSU to QBs or get an elite guy who is awesome at developing skill guys to sustain success. That?s my only knock. Knox, as bad as he was and the way it ended here recently was a VERY GOOD RB coach. He really was, I know the guy. So we?ll need another guy like that to assist Moorehead to make a hard push on recruits. And we may already have him on the way, I don?t know. But Moorehead will need help.
    Regarding your 'bad', it may be right, but also check out what Moorhead did with the PSU QB in a year's time....

vCash
    Good points C34.

1.) I think the guy is a fantastic play caller (and as C34 alluded to) he’s aggressive in his play calling. I think that he’ll help MSU against teams like Bama with this type of aggressive play calling because to beat UA you’ve gotta take shots down the field vertically. I think we’ll do that with Moorehead.

2.) He not only runs the spreadbut it’s a similar system to what Mullen ran while he was here. So systematically it won’t completely confuse the pieces we already have here at MSU. What do I mean? Some of you were clamoring for Leach, and look I understand the appeal for him but guys trying to ask him to come in here and win with Fitz & the other kids would be like trying to win the Daytona 500 with a Mack truck. It doesn’t add up. I think a spread running type OC is exactly what we needed here and we got him.

3.) He’s beloved by his peers & his players. So that’s a good sign too. And stop with the “well I wished we would’ve gotten a guy from down south kind of guy.” Mullen was from up north and look what he did. 2nd winningest coach all Time.

I know Mullen (regardless of how mad you are at him or if he handled leaving right or wrong) was a great QB coach, he really was. Stop being emotional and call him what he was for us. Anybody who could do with Relf what he did, he must’ve been pretty dadgum good! So what does this have to do with Moorehead?

A.) Nick needs someone to help him develop his game, otherwise it’ll be a tough sell for a legit QB to come here. I don’t know how good or bad Moorehead is in this area but he’s not AS good as Mullen because he’s probably the best in CFB at it. Once the emotion of him leaving wears off we’ll agree when it’s over. So we’ll have to do a better job of selling MSU to QBs or get an elite guy who is awesome at developing skill guys to sustain success. That’s my only knock. Knox, as bad as he was and the way it ended here recently was a VERY GOOD RB coach. He really was, I know the guy. So we’ll need another guy like that to assist Moorehead to make a hard push on recruits. And we may already have him on the way, I don’t know. But Moorehead will need help.
    Apparently Moorhead is responsible for the improvement by the Penn St QB. He might not be better than Lateral Move but he seems to still be pretty damn good. He also has a better offense as far as QB developing throws in game. We should throw it more often than 1 or 2 times downfield per game.

vCash
    I think he’ll benefit KT more than Fitz.

vCash
    I think he’ll benefit KT more than Fitz.
    True, Fitz with the injury won't have the ability to work on his passing like KT will.

vCash
    Good points C34.

According to everything I have read your "bads" are actually some of this guys strengths.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    True, Fitz with the injury won't have the ability to work on his passing like KT will.
    Fitz will have all spring and summer - he?ll benefit. But, yeah, Key will follow and break all the records. We good.

vCash
    Again, I should’ve labeled them “?” (question marks).

vCash
    I agree with Coach57 in that Mike Leach would be a little of a rebuild situation. And at a school like MSU, you don't want to lose momentum when you have it. We have all of these returning starters on offense, but they don't really fit Leach's system. So you rebuild until you can get Leach's type of talent on the roster. With Moorhead, our current roster is much more adaptable to what he does. So we can keep our momentum going.

I also agree with Coach34 in that an offensive guy was my preference. It is not abnormal for us to change coordinators on the other side of the ball very often. For instance in Mullen's 9 years, we had one offensive system (Mullen) and a bunch of defensive coordinators (Grantham, Sirmon, Diaz1, Diaz2, Collins, Wilson, Torbush, etc.). If you hire a defensive guy such as Jeremy Pruitt as your head coach, you could possibly change offensive coordinators often. I think it is easier with Mississippi athletes to get defensive players and schemes up and running quicker than an offensive installation. So I want more stability on the offensive side.
    Last edited by somebodyshotmypaw; 11-29-2017 at 01:04 PM.

vCash
    Again, I should’ve labeled them “?” (question marks).
    Your take is always highly valued!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Your take is always highly valued!

Thank you for your kind words bro. We just need to calm down on the Mullen hate, we got a great hire for sure.

vCash
    Thank you for your kind words bro. We just need to calm down on the Mullen hate, we got a great hire for sure.
    Wound is still pretty fresh especially the way he left very similar to Pine Box. Looking back he did some great things but I believe all the rumors that he was shopping his name almost every year was true. That taints his time at MSU some because it looks like he was always trying to leave.

vCash
    Most of the Mullen hate is venting. However, the situation with Knox - if true - is a reason to be pissed for a bit. That is a low blow. Especially when you have guys like TBuck and Looney out there killing it on the trail for us. I think as soon as we have our staff named it will calm down (until mid September).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Most of the Mullen hate is venting. However, the situation with Knox - if true - is a reason to be pissed for a bit. That is a low blow. Especially when you have guys like TBuck and Looney out there killing it on the trail for us. I think as soon as we have our staff named it will calm down (until mid September).
    Coach Moorhead might try and treat it like any other SEC game but it is going to be pretty salty for the fans and players. It might be more hated than the Egg Bowl next year.

vCash
    You're welcome! I'm sure I speak for most of us when I say I wish you would post more. Your insight into the game is so good.

I'm more mad at Dan for the way he treated our players. It's one thing to tell the media/fans, I love my job, have it great here, blah,blah,blah, I think we all realize that's coach speak for if I get a better offer i'm gone, but when you straight up tell your players to their face you'll be back next year and your excited cause its the best team ever, and then you bolt,that crosses the line. That was supposed to be his "family" and he told them he loved them. That's not how you treat family or loved ones. Sorry for the rant but those kids gave him and our university their all(see Fitz). Time to move on and realize that Cohen set us up with what appears to be a great HC and I'm excited for our future and its extremely bright.

Thanks again for your insight!