Thread: ?Rivalries?. Re: Egg v Iron... constructive criticism welcome

vCash

?Rivalries?. Re: Egg v Iron... constructive criticism welcome

I truly believe the respective players at MSU/OM loathe one another.

This isn?t the case (most years) with the Iron BowL.

Our collective players behave ?professionally ? 😏.

Fans are savages.

Thoughts?
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Well, you're right about the fans but we haven't poisoned the trees in the Grove yet. BTW, I mentioned to my UM minister the grove in the Bible old testament is noted as an evil place of pagan worship. Coincidence? I don't think so! Hail State!

vCash
    You guys do need to spice it up a bit. Intensity has dropped off a bit these past two to three years. Perhaps a special give-away at the stadium - "Hard Liquor and Handgun Night" ? First 20K from each side gets a firearm, two bottles of cheap tequila and they show photoshopped pics on the Jumbotron ----wait for it---- of players Mom's on stripper poles or standing on street corners. Ought to get everybody back to the requisite level of hate. Just a thought. Trying to hep' ya'll out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    I truly believe the respective players at MSU/OM loathe one another.

This isn?t the case (most years) with the Iron BowL.

Our collective players behave ?professionally ? .

Fans are savages.

Thoughts?
    I think this is probably case.

A few things to consider:

- Both Bama & Auburn generally recruit more nationally than MSU or OM, & thus MSU/OM is nastier because many of the players actually know the other players & chose a side when they were young.

- The fans are savages in the Egg Bowl as well, but the problem/good thing/IDK is that neither team's fans travel well for this game because they'd rather be caught in bed with a hooker than go the other school's campus. It's why the Egg Bowl typically has some empty seats. The road team never sells any tickets. Ole Miss MAY have brought 1,000 people to Starkville last night & that's generous.

- Auburn & Alabama can recruit nationally or at least more regionally than OM & MSU. Thus in a small state, both OM & MSU are fighting over finite resources whereas Bama & Auburn typically are not. Fighting over the last piece of chicken is typically more violent than fighting over who is first in line.

- Lastly, because they game is mostly played by players from Mississippi, there are personal vendettas for both players & fans who feel that such players were bought & payed for.
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 11-24-2017 at 11:53 PM.

vCash
    The Egg is intense, and after what they intentionally did this year it will get worse, but I'm not aware of any tree killings or shootings.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I think this is probably case.

A few things to consider:

- Both Bama & Auburn generally recruit more nationally than MSU or OM, & thus MSU/OM is nastier because many of the players actually know the other players & chose a side when they were young.

- The fans are savages in the Egg Bowl as well, but the problem/good thing/IDK is that neither team's fans travel well for this game because they'd rather be caught in bed with a hooker than go the other school's campus. It's why the Egg Bowl typically has some empty seats. The road team never sells any tickets. Ole Miss MAY have brought 1,000 people to Starkville last night & that's generous.

- Auburn & Alabama can recruit nationally or at least more regionally than OM & MSU. Thus in a small state, both OM & MSU are fighting over finite resources whereas Bama & Auburn typically are not. Fighting over the last piece of chicken is typically more violent than fighting over who is first in line.

- Lastly, because they game is mostly played by players from Mississippi, there are personal vendettas for both players & fans who feel that such players were bought & payed for.
    you made excellent points, but That^ wouldn't happen even if Bammer hired Nazi players and Auburn hired Commies....

Back in the day, when the Iron Bowl was played at that dump in B'ham, there was a chain link fence that longitudinally bifurcated the respective fanbases.

No.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    you made excellent points, but That^ wouldn't happen even if Bammer hired Nazi players and Auburn hired Commies....

Back in the day, when the Iron Bowl was played at that dump in B'ham, there was a chain link fence that longitudinally bifurcated the respective fanbases.
    Yeah, I hear you.

Just for whatever reason, neither fan base has any desire to go to the other school's campus. I wish it wasn't so, but it is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgowar View Post
    You guys do need to spice it up a bit. Intensity has dropped off a bit these past two to three years. Perhaps a special give-away at the stadium - "Hard Liquor and Handgun Night" ? First 20K from each side gets a firearm, two bottles of cheap tequila and they show photoshopped pics on the Jumbotron ----wait for it---- of players Mom's on stripper poles or standing on street corners. Ought to get everybody back to the requisite level of hate. Just a thought. Trying to hep' ya'll out.
    They save the shootings until after the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgowar View Post
    They save the shootings before and after the game.

https://nypost.com/2017/11/16/alabam...ng-auburn-fan/

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1535388

old miss provides the thugs during our game

vCash
    Yeah, I hear you.

Just for whatever reason, neither fan base has any desire to go to the other school's campus. I wish it wasn't so, but it is
    I can dig it... I went to the first Iron Bowl at AU in 89... undefeated #2 Bammer got their asses whipped... some of the bammer fans had it much worse... I ain't goin' back... and, I was invited to go just this evening... so I get your point.

edit: I told my Aubie buddy that I'd go back to Auburn when they had some mature Oaks....
    Last edited by TUSK; 11-25-2017 at 12:34 AM.

No.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgoneyall View Post
    They save the shootings before and after the game.

https://nypost.com/2017/11/16/alabam...ng-auburn-fan/

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1535388

old miss provides the thugs during our game
    This year was a record setter... first shooting was 2 weeks prior to the game...

nice.

No.

vCash
    Funny you bring this up Tusk....I was driving back through Tuscaloosa tonight (holding my nose) and tuned in to 94.5. They had an Iron Bowl special on and that got me to thinking about the difference between the Egg Bowl and the Iron Bowl. To me, the EB seems so much more personal than the IB. Shotgun was spot on in his assessment of the two. I've lived in AL for over 20 yrs now and have watched a few IB's with both fan bases together. This DOES NOT happen with my circle of friends or people I know back in MS. I'm sure it does but not with anyone I know. I think the perception of the "Haves vs the Have-Nots" is much greater in MS than it is in AL. I also feel, with both Bama and Auburn being successful programs, that many from both sides can let it go a little easier if they don't win the rivalry game because in many years both teams have been/are successful and will go to a bowl game even if they don't win the IB.

With the EB, for many years, the only thing both State and OM were playing for were the bragging rights. If you won the EB, you might still suck but you didn't suck as much as you're rival did and you let them know it. The OM crowed is such an insufferable lot. Over the last couple of years, I think the conference has come to understand and experience what the Bulldog fans have know for the last 100+ years.

It's funny that AL and MS are next door neighbors and similar in some ways but different in other ways.

vCash
    Even though MSU is the agriculture school I feel like we're a lot more like Alabama with how we run our program and act. We want discipline character and we want to develop guys for the NFL. Auburn like Ole Miss wants to cheat and get instant gratification. So, I think as far as how the programs are run there's that similarity. I think Auburn plays a lot dirtier as well- see Nick Fairly.

It's hard to say that the fans are the same because a four schools have different cultures.

vCash
    Bump to update....

after the U lost, I talked to my Aubie buddy and said, "congrats... If y'all go 2-0 vs Bammer this year, y'all get to play for the NC"...

No.

vCash
    Iron Bowl plays on a bigger stage, but it's just not as nasty as the Eggbowl. I'm surprised we composed ourselves.

vCash
    Among the fans, i believe RT/WE is far more intense because the stakes are higher and more fans involved.. OM/MSU is intense but not to the level of shootings.

It seems to me. The difference in the rivalry is that the University of Alabama (actual staff admin and athletics) is indifferent to the existence of Auburn.

OM admin, coaches and cigar boys despise the existence of MSU and has an organized system to discredit and sabatoge the success of MSU.

vCash
    The egg bowl is toxic between the teams. The IB is more toxic with the fan bases. You have already had one KILLING about it this month.

vCash
    Yeah, I hear you.

Most of us choose not to go to Oxford due to bad experiences at their games. Getting hit with whisky bottles while walking into a stadium before the game is no fun.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Even though MSU is the agriculture school I feel like we're a lot more like Alabama with how we run our program and act. We want discipline character and we want to develop guys for the NFL. Auburn like Ole Miss wants to cheat and get instant gratification.
    I agree with this. Spot on.