Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our Defense Stunk Last Night

vCash

Our Defense Stunk Last Night

With all the talk about Fitz getting hurt, our defense stunk last night.

Yes they got some 3 & outs but they committed the cardinal sin time & time again.

OM only ran 54 plays, so I don't want to hear how the offense kept them on the field too much.

On OM's scoring drives, they had these types of explosive plays:

58 yards to AJ Brown
    22 yards to Wilkens
    77 yards to AJ Brown
    63 yards to Metcalf
    46 yard to Wilkens

There was obviously a ton of good things between these plays, but you can't win SEC games giving up these types of plays.

Our 2018 team will be extremely talented, but, unless we find a shutdown corner or get faster at that position, we simply lack the talent to control elite WRs. Plainly, this is terrible defense regardless of what the offense is doing.

You beat OM by making them drive the field & execute in the red zone. That didn't happen last night.

vCash
    While these are good points, we did not lose because of defense. We lost because turning the ball over 5 times, 4 of which were in Ole Miss territory I believe. Of course that probably wouldn't have happened if Fitz injury was in 2nd half or not at all. But we still should have won anyway in spite if the Rebels' big plays. Defense, even with big plays, still played well enough to win overall.
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBear View Post
    While these are good points, we did not lose because of defense. We lost because turning the ball over 5 times, 4 of which were in Ole Miss territory I believe. Of course that probably wouldn't have happened if Fitz injury was in 2nd half or not at all. But we still should have won anyway in spite if the Rebels' big plays. Defense, even with big plays, still played well enough to win overall.
    I agree that the game was lost because of turnovers & the extra possessions OM received & lack of points we got due to those.

But still, you simply can't expect to win SEC games when you give the opposition this many explosive plays.

Problem is, even with all the talent we have coming back in 2018, I don't see how we fix this flaw. We simply lack the speed or hip flexibility at CB to compete with elite WRs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I agree that the game was lost because of turnovers & the extra possessions OM received & lack of points we got due to those.

But still, you simply can't expect to win SEC games when you give the opposition this many explosive plays.

Problem is, even with all the talent we have coming back in 2018, I don't see how we fix this flaw. We simply lack the speed or hip flexibility at CB to compete with elite WRs.
    I agree with this. We've given up "explosive plays" all year, beginning with the LSU game (which fortunately the referee called PI against them). Then Auburn breaks a run right up our middle, similar to what Ole Miss did last night. We just don't have the talent on defense, particularly at DB, to be a top team. Also, we've got several players on the DL which sometimes don't seem to be giving an all out effort in my opinion.

vCash
    Only 11 first downs for TCUN. But against them, a few big plays is all they need to beat you if your playmakers are not doing work the entire game.

vCash

Yes they got some 3 & outs but they committed the cardinal sin time & time again.

OM only ran 54 plays, so I don't want to hear how the offense kept them on the field too much.

58 yards to AJ Brown
    22 yards to Wilkens
    77 yards to AJ Brown
    63 yards to Metcalf
    46 yard to Wilkens

There was obviously a ton of good things between these plays, but you can't win SEC games giving up these types of plays.

Our 2018 team will be extremely talented, but, unless we find a shutdown corner or get faster at that position, we simply lack the talent to control elite WRs. Plainly, this is terrible defense regardless of what the offense is doing.

You beat OM by making them drive the field & execute in the red zone. That didn't happen last night.
    Shit Gun would you rather have Sirmon!

Banned
    vCash
    Yeah......no.

vCash
    The best 2 corners we have dont start bc they are younger than the 2 that do. Been 9 years it aint gonna change now

vCash
    Man everyone knew Ole Miss was going to score. I went into the game thinking we would have to score 40 to win. What lost us the game was 6 ****ing points through 3 quarters. Ole miss has a super shitty defense and we allowed them to whip Offensive Guru Dans ass. It is all on Dan.

vCash
    5 plays. They were held under their averages. We gave them a lot of extra chances and momentum turning it over. Defense didn't play that bad. Now putting Gray and Bryant on AJ..........that shit was tard-like.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    The best 2 corners we have dont start bc they are younger than the 2 that do. Been 9 years it aint gonna change now
    We still rotate the entire defense throughout the games which kills is . Also, the corners dropped 2 or 3 ints

vCash
    Yes, our defense gave up a few explosive plays and they dropped 2 critical interceptions, but they managed to hold OM to 355 total yards with us turning the ball over 5 times. So they definitely didn't stink.....they just weren't quite good enough to make up for our crippled offense.

vCash
    Our DB's couldn't cover their talented, big play receivers with their piece-mill coaching staff playing backyard ball. We lost to coaching staff of Luke (interim), Longo (1st year at this level) and Crimedog ( never a DC before). Fitz injury and 5 turnovers didn't help at all, but we were not ready against them for the 2nd time in three years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandwolf View Post
    Yes, our defense gave up a few explosive plays and they dropped 2 critical interceptions, but they managed to hold OM to 355 total yards with us turning the ball over 5 times. So they definitely didn't stink.....they just weren't quite good enough to make up for our crippled offense.
    Ain’t no way to slice it. That many big plays is terrible defense.

vCash

58 yards to AJ Brown
    22 yards to Wilkens
    77 yards to AJ Brown
    63 yards to Metcalf
    46 yard to Wilkens

Grantham was upset with them. Seems they were trying to think more than react. or they didn't think they could cover AJ. Like maybe he intimidated them. What is your solutuon? Fire Grantham?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yjnkdawg View Post
    Grantham was upset with them. Seems they were trying to think more than react. or they didn't think they could cover AJ. Like maybe he intimidated them. What is your solutuon? Fire Grantham?
    I have no solution. Perhaps Chauncey Rivers can provide more pass rush or we need to prowl the world to find a fast, shutdown CB.

We ain’t winning nothing in 2018 unless we get better in coverage on the back end.

vCash
    Guys this is NUTS. Shotgun, I normally agree with you but I’m all honesty you are wrong here dude. The defense was put into bad situations time & time again against one of the most explosive offenses in the SEC and they only came away with what they did? Are you serious? Ta’amu is pretty good and he was confused on about 85% of his drop backs. One of them should’ve been a pick 6. I’m disappointed in one thing throughout the game. Peters should’ve defended AJ all night. But it was hard to put a legit corner on AJ as they moved him around a lot on offense and he had matchups on LBs & S’s most of the night that’s why they had the 5 big explosive plays on us. Credit their staff for helping out their QB and the offense with structural play calling & alignments, it really paid dividends for them on O.

If you want to be upset, be upset at the offensive staff for MSU. I get it, Fitz got hurt and nobody would’ve expected that going into the game. But, even after that our offensive staff could’ve simplified the game plan with our passing game to help aide Key...they didn’t. The thing they did, we didn’t do. Their staff helped their backup QB by aiding him in the alignments & play calling....we didn’t. It’s that simple. Be mad at Mullen because anybody who knows football knows how to annihilate a hard charging DL & defensive front that loads the box...screens & draws. We didn’t do that to help him (Key)! And don’t tell me it’s not in our offense because he did it with Relf. That’s how Relf used to beat them! Our kids fought back & played hard, our staff lost this game...plain & simple. We didn’t make the adjustments on offense to help Key, that’s why we lost.

I’m normally not the guy to go after Mullen, and I still think he’s the guy for us. But he’s gotta make in game adjustments better when it comes to situational football. Situational football is when the situations aren’t ideal & you adjust based on the environment & situations. He’s gotta do a better job if he’s going to be a big time coach.

vCash
    Our safeties aren?t getting it done period as a whole. Only one of those big plays I think was solely on the CB.

AJ first we shouldn?t have had gray on him, his second was all on Bryant who had thebcoverage over the top and blew it.

The second big run we didn?t fill the hole with LB or safety. Bryant got clipped a little bit but he was not exactly filling the hole either.

Eroll has looked great at ILB. Leo I think had a very disappointing year.

Have to hope Cole on Landrews can help at safety

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach 57 View Post
    Guys this is NUTS. Shotgun, I normally agree with you but I’m all honesty you are wrong here dude. The defense was put into bad situations time & time again against one of the most explosive offenses in the SEC and they only came away with what they did? Are you serious? Ta’amu is pretty good and he was confused on about 85% of his drop backs. One of them should’ve been a pick 6. I’m disappointed in one thing throughout the game. Peters should’ve defended AJ all night. But it was hard to put a legit corner on AJ as they moved him around a lot on offense and he had matchups on LBs & S’s most of the night that’s why they had the 5 big explosive plays on us. Credit their staff for helping out their QB and the offense with structural play calling & alignments, it really paid dividends for them on O.

If you want to be upset, be upset at the offensive staff for MSU. I get it, Fitz got hurt and nobody would’ve expected that going into the game. But, even after that our offensive staff could’ve simplified the game plan with our passing game to help aide Key...they didn’t. The thing they did, we didn’t do. Their staff helped their backup QB by aiding him in the alignments & play calling....we didn’t. It’s that simple. Be mad at Mullen because anybody who knows football knows how to annihilate a hard charging DL & defensive front that loads the box...screens & draws. We didn’t do that to help him (Key)! And don’t tell me it’s not in our offense because he did it with Relf. That’s how Relf used to beat them! Our kids fought back & played hard, our staff lost this game...plain & simple. We didn’t make the adjustments on offense to help Key, that’s why we lost.

I’m normally not the guy to go after Mullen, and I still think he’s the guy for us. But he’s gotta make in game adjustments better when it comes to situational football. Situational football is when the situations aren’t ideal & you adjust based on the environment & situations. He’s gotta do a better job if he’s going to be a big time coach.
    5 turnovers. You almost never win when you do that, no matter who you are.

vCash
    The problem is #1 our safeties are horrible and always out of position

#2 our corners are terrible, slow,and obviously not coachable