Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So what is TN obsession with Mullen?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cheewgumm View Post
    I think its their perception of Miss State. "If he can do it there, think what he can do here!!" is their thought.
    Problem is that if he did there what he is doing here (winning 6 to 8 regular season games per year) he would be in hot water and they would want to fire him. I think you are right in the fact that people still see us as poor ol' MSU where it takes a miracle worker to just get us to bowl eligibility and I guess that will never change no matter how much our facilities and game day atmosphere improves. The only reason it would be easier to win more games at TN right now is that the East sucks so bad. However, that won't always be the case and you still have to play Bama every year.

vCash
    If we pay 7 million, what can we pay assistants? Does it affect baseball, MBB, and WBB?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post

But I do agree. If we need to offer him $7M then so be it but his a$$ is instantly on the hot seat if we don’t beat Bama in the next contract. If you want to be paid like a top 5 coach you have to perform like one. No excuses.
    Exactly. The bar will be raised if he gets top 5 money.

vCash
    So I?m just curious, you?re ok with paying Mullen basically a Saban salary and getting half the results? I just don?t think that?s the smartest thing to do but I will back whatever Cohen decides for now

vCash
    Asking in all seriousness, can we pay 7M? Where does this money come from?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgface View Post
    Exactly. The bar will be raised if he gets top 5 money.
    With all the big jobs open, $7M might not be top 5. Mullen already makes $6M with everything included. He needs to push for a larger recruiting budget. Ours is the smallest in the SEC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    With all the big jobs open, $7M might not be top 5. Mullen already makes $6M with everything included. He needs to push for a larger recruiting budget. Ours is the smallest in the SEC.
    And if salary goes up, that could mean less recruiting budget or less for assistants.

vCash
    Exactly, Mullen makes PLENTY for himself. If he wants a top level program here he should be asking for more money for assistants and recruiting. Apparently Mullen really wants to win championships. If that's the case he will never get that at MSU eating up all of our available money with his own personal salary. He could potentially get that done spending more money on things that would really help strengthen the program.

vCash
    This is what I was thinking. All of these jobs opening at once in the SEC will create a sellers market. I think we are about to see 5+ coaches in the SEC being paid 7 mil+.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    If Mullen/UT lost to Bama by only 7 points, they'd give him a lifetime contract...
    BS! If that happens in year one or even two, he will get a golf clap and head nod. If he goes 0-3 vs Bama, the natives will get restless and question the salary.

vCash
    Mullen's record as a ranked team:
    2010 4 - 2 beat UAB by 5, KY by 7, a 3-8 OM team by 8, and waxed an unranked 7- 5 Michigan team in bowl game. Beat OM as ranked team.
    2011 1 - 2 Started out ranked and beat Memphis. Lost next 2 to AU (who ended year 7 - 5) & LSU. Beat OM as unranked team.
    2012 5 - 4 (Started 7 - 0 that year). As ranked team beat S. Alabama, KY, a Tenn team that finished 5 - 7, Middle Tenn, an Arky Team that finished 4 - 8 after Petrino was fired before season. Lost as a ranked team to a 6 - 6 OM team.
    2013 0 - 0 Beat OM as unranked team.
    2014 6 - 3 2 of those wins were as lesser of 2 ranked teams (TAM & AU ranked higher going in). Other 4 wins were struggles against KY & Arky (2-6 for SEC that year; 6-6 overall), then Tenn-Martin and Vandy. Lost to Bama, lost to an injury decimated OM team that finished 9 - 4, and Ga Tech.
    2015 1 - 4 Beat a 5 - 7 Missouri team. Lost to LSU, TAM, Bama, and lost to OM.
    2016 0 - 0 Beat OM as unranked team.
    2017 2 - 4 got blown out vs. Ga and AU. Beat UMass by 11 at home, beat a very crappy Arky team late in 4th, played close one against Bama at home, lost to crappy OM team.

Overall record as ranked team: 19 - 29. The 19 wins consist of UAB, Memphis, USA (S. Bama), KY (3 times), UT Martin, Vandy, UMass. Also beat .500 (or below) opponents OM, Tenn, Arky (twice), Mizzou. That's 14 very crappy teams out of the 19 wins.

Record vs OM as ranked team 1 - 4.

If Tenn wants to pay $7 mill for that, more power to them.

ETA: Anyone who wonders why we get "no respect", I believe it is self-explanatory above. Anyone who thinks we have a chance to win SEC W next year is delusional.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 11-24-2017 at 09:35 AM.

vCash
    Boys $7M is about to be the norm in the SEC. Get used to it. College football is about to go to hell.
    From what I saw from the OM team, coaches and the refs last night....we're already there.

vCash
    UT fan and grad. Came over here looking to see if there was any speculation to be had. My in-laws are Ole Miss fans. Watched the game last night and secretly cheered for you guys. 😂

FWIW one of our former players has a radio show in Knoxville and says we?re not getting Mullen. He?s not always very reliable so who knows. We do have rumors going around that the media has been told to keep their schedules open on Sunday.

To answer the OP, UT fans are actually split.

We have some fans that think we?re a top 10 job, nationally, and we can hire pretty much anybody except Saban, but that an ESPN color commentator is going to come in and whip Saban and Dan Mullen is a ?meh? hire.

We also have a group who looks at the last few hires in the SEC East and thinks Mullen would be the modern equivalent of a Homerun who would do better in the East.

Good luck to you guys! Condolences about last night, but sounds like Fitzgerald?s injury may not be as bad as it looked?

vCash
    It’s what I said the other day and got lambasted by some posters. We have a good football program and a REALLY good AD right now. Whatever happens we are positioned well for the future. What Mullen has done here is unprecedented to a certain extent but I think that thought process is also based on what we went through with Croom and the last years of JS.

vCash
    He needs to push for a larger recruiting budget. Ours is the smallest in the SEC.
    Ours is the smallest because we recruit mostly players from this area not because we can't afford a larger recruiting budget.

I always laugh at this comment. The coaches can do whatever they want in recruiting, b

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msudawg1200 View Post
    Asking in all seriousness, can we pay 7M? Where does this money come from?
    Bull dog club, Athletic department, boosters and State money. Not so much state money. I think there is a limit.

vCash
    Dan would bring UT great stability and 8-10 wins per season. If that's your goal....he's your guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Churchill View Post
    Dan would bring UT great stability and 8-10 wins per season. If that's your goal....he's your guy.
    UT is flying down to meet with Mullen today, according to rosebowl. Cohen has a vetted list of candidates but they aren?t very exciting in my opinion

vCash
    We could get another good/great coach for what we?re paying Dan at the moment. I have a hard time paying Dan 7mm when he hasn?t even won a SECw title

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ILOATHEBears View Post
    UT is flying down to meet with Mullen today, according to rosebowl. Cohen has a vetted list of candidates but they aren?t very exciting in my opinion
    Who are they? I personally hope mike norvell and Willie fritz are on the list