Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So what is TN obsession with Mullen?

vCash

So what is TN obsession with Mullen?

I know he?s a good coach, a very good coach. But can I say he?s head and shoulders above anybody else 7m would get?

I guess I just don?t get what makes him so much a hotter commodity than a bunch of other guys.

vCash
    He’s about the only proven option that they have any chance at.

They’ve gone through two mid major hires in a row and ain’t doing that again.

vCash
    If we have to pay 7 million, I would let him walk. I am huge Mullen guy, but 7 million? Nah

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If we have to pay 7 million, I would let him walk. I am huge Mullen guy, but 7 million? Nah
    I kind of agree but am really not sure. Mullen has a ton of leverage here because we are 1 sub par hire away from sucking

It’s also incredibly unfair that we have to go through this every year.

I can only imagine how much better recruiting would be and would have been had Mullen’s names never come up with any other job.

Ever Been to Gloster?? cheewgumm's Avatar
    vCash
    I think its their perception of Miss State. "If he can do it there, think what he can do here!!" is their thought.

vCash
    Most people away from MSU recognize what he has done here. If it takes 7 million to keep him here and we can afford it, we should pay it.

vCash
    $7 million would put him right behind Saban and Dabo, and tied with Harbaugh. That's rarefied air.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Disagree. We should match Tennessee's offer no matter what. It would be a huge positive news story for us if we suddenly bumped him up to 7.5 million or whatever. All the talking heads would be discussing what a great commitment to winning we have as a program. Would be good press for Starkville too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    Disagree. We should match Tennessee's offer no matter what. It would be a huge positive news story for us if we suddenly bumped him up to 7.5 million or whatever. All the talking heads would be discussing what a great commitment to winning we have as a program. Would be good press for Starkville too.
    Exactly on it all. One comment: Dan Mullen has done more for the city of Starkville than any other individual in its history. Heck, they should be chipping in a LOT of money to help keep him.

vCash
    One more, nothing could demonstrate that we aren't what we used to be more. If UT is serious then we have to fish or cut bait here. If we allow it to happen, we are what we have always been. Hopefully we can afford it.

vCash
    Boys $7M is about to be the norm in the SEC. Get used to it. College football is about to go to hell.

vCash
    I doubt whether Tennessee will offer Mullen. They are pretty big rivals with Alabama, and I don't think Mullen's record against them has been too good.

vCash
    I'd like to do a poll of all posters to see who would pay Mullen 7 mil to stay here just to hear it all over again as soon as another job opens up

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Boys $7M is about to be the norm in the SEC. Get used to it. College football is about to go to hell.
    I?m afraid you?re right. It?s an arms race now.

vCash
    Right. It would prove how serious we are and not the same ol poor mstate. And it would shove it right up the behind of all those in the media who talk about our ?lack of resources? screw em all!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCDawg View Post
    I doubt whether Tennessee will offer Mullen. They are pretty big rivals with Alabama, and I don't think Mullen's record against them has been too good.
    If Mullen/UT lost to Bama by only 7 points, they'd give him a lifetime contract...
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    One more, nothing could demonstrate that we aren't what we used to be more. If UT is serious then we have to fish or cut bait here. If we allow it to happen, we are what we have always been. Hopefully we can afford it.
    Naaaa, then Pawl and Bo Bounds would just say we were desperate. “Haters gonna hate.”

But I do agree. If we need to offer him $7M then so be it but his a$$ is instantly on the hot seat if we don’t beat Bama in the next contract. If you want to be paid like a top 5 coach you have to perform like one. No excuses.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    If Mullen/UT lost to Bama by only 7 points, they'd give him a lifetime contract...
    In the same year Mullen/UT lost as 14 point favorites at home to Flarda? Negative ghost rider.

vCash
    No way in hell we should pay Mullen 6-7 million. Let him walk if that?s what Sexton is trying to get

vCash
    If you don’t pay it your ass better have an option that will be equal to where Dan is now in 3 years. We are win now job because of the young experienced talent on roster. You willing to hand this team over to a group of 5 HC Or a low end P5 coach or a flash in the pan one good year coach? I’m not.

You pay Mullen. He wants to be here. But he’s going to go where he’s got the opportunity to be successful. We want to be a big time team? Time to shell out the big time money. We need Dan at MSU to continue building the brand. We’ve still got a long way to go and I think for the next 5-7 years we would be stupid to not think he’s the guy to lead it and that he’s just replaceable.