Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sorry Gators Kelly is going to UCLA

vCash
    UCLA is known for being on the low side with the dollar in the overall perspective of paying coaches at that level

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Same record in year 2 as year 1. Maybe he sucked as an NFL GM/HC, but I think he is a good HC on either level
    And fired in year 3 at 6-9 and they didn't let him finish the year. After those 2 10-6 years they didn't even let him finish the year it got so bad. Red Flag. I think he is a very good OC and MAY be a good head coach but we have 3 years at the college level that he did really well at program that was clicking on all cylinders anyway even before he was OC. To get to the next level he cheated, got a show cause and bolted for the NFL. At best after his first two years he couldn't finish out the season the next 2 years he sucked so bad and was very hard for either team to work with. To me this has boom or bust all over it and with the extra baggage, not just the show cause but his relationship with GM and owners, just some major red flags to me.
    Last edited by Really Clark?; 11-22-2017 at 11:52 AM.

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    Let me ask this...and forgive me for my stupidity. It has been suggested that Willie Taggert would eventually come back to the south. If Fla. or one of the other SEC schools went after Taggert, would Kelly be back in play for Oregon? I don't know if he left there on good terms or not, that's why I'm asking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    Would you say it was easier to win the Pac 12 or the SEC? And would a path to the a NC be easier in Pac 12 or SEC?
    It would be easier at Florida than at UCLA. UCLA isn't top Pac 12 job.

vCash
    I lived in Westwood for awhile. UCLA fans are kinda lukewarm on football, basketball is their thing. USC is the football school in Los Angeles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    And fired in year 3 at 6-9 and they didn't let him finish the year. After those 2 10-6 years they didn't even let him finish the year it got so bad. Red Flag. I think he is a very good OC and MAY be a good head coach but we have 3 years at the college level that he did really well at program that was clicking on all cylinders anyway even before he was OC. To get to the next level he cheated, got a show cause and bolted for the NFL which at best after his first two years he couldn't finish out the season the next 2 years he sucked so bad and was very hard for either team to work with. To me this has boom or bust all over it and with the extra baggage, not just the show cause but his relationship with GM and owners, just some major red flags to me.
    3 losses by a combined 6 points and another loss in OT. The difference in winning and losing in the nfl is razor thin. I do not think the year is near as bad as you, but oh well

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I lived in Westwood for awhile. UCLA fans are kinda lukewarm on football, basketball is their thing. USC is the football school in Los Angeles.
    Winning changes a lot.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    Winning changes a lot.
    You are assuming Kelly would win at UCLA, that's a BIG assumption. I don't think anyone wins at UCLA consistently. The gap in their own town is just to great.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    You are assuming Kelly would win at UCLA, that's a BIG assumption. I don't think anyone wins at UCLA consistently. The gap in their own town is just to great.
    Yeah that's where I was going with my post above.

vCash
    3 losses by a combined 6 points and another loss in OT. The difference in winning and losing in the nfl is razor thin. I do not think the year is near as bad as you, but oh well
    And 95% of the coaches would not have been fired over just that. The behind the scenes issues and trend with the team were and are a concern

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Probably the same take everyone had on MSU before we went to #1.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    And 95% of the coaches would not have been fired over just that. The behind the scenes issues and trend with the team were and are a concern
    Ok, the line is drawn... you do not like kelly and I do. What we betting for next season? I say he wins at least 8 at UCLA or Florida, which is a big improvement. Sig bet? Lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    Probably the same take everyone had on MSU before we went to #1.
    Except it is FACT out there. It's no take.

vCash
    Kelly is a weird fat dude. No telling what he'll do.

vCash
    It doesn't matter if WE like Kelly or not; he will land at either Florida or UCLA.

If it were me, I would coach UCLA before getting into the toxic environment in Gainesville.

vCash
    TN is so screwed. If Kelly takes the FL job, he'll own them. If he doesn't, FL takes their likely best candidate.

vCash
    Living in Florida during the mid 80s ,the gators were a mediocre overhyped program that found itself in the ncaa doghouse......sound familiar?

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollodawg View Post
    Yup. The Saban effect. He destroyed the conference.
    Delusional fans who believe they are better than they really are, has destroyed the conference. Rational thought and commons sense are not all that common anymore. We live in an ?instant grits?, ?reset the game?, what have you done for me lately society.

It?s actually quite interesting to watch society from a distance and wonder how far the pendulum will swing before it comes back to rationale.

vCash
    Ok, the line is drawn... you do not like kelly and I do. What we betting for next season? I say he wins at least 8 at UCLA or Florida, which is a big improvement. Sig bet? Lol
    Ha. I don't dislike him, think he is a very good OC and smart with plays, but just not sold that he is a homerun hire to run a program. 8 wins is the floor he can be at those schools and the jury would still be out.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Twitter say Kelly turned down an offer from Tennessee. The Vols better just assume their position as 2nd or 3rd tier in the SEC. They are no longer attractive.