Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CFP # 14 - New Year's 6 possible?

vCash

CFP # 14 - New Year's 6 possible?

We are now 14th in the CFP ranking and as a practical matter have to be 11th or higher to get into a NY6 Bowl. Looking at the standings, it is possible. Washington State and USC will knock one of themselves off. If Oklahoma beats TCU in the B12 title game, they will probably drop below us. Then we would need either Michigan or Wisconsin to beat Ohio State.

Of course, I am getting ahead of myself. We have to take care of business on Thursday first.

vCash
    Unfortunately, NY6 games are not only determined by rankings--there are conference tie-ins as well. Assuming Bama goes to CFP, it's hard to imagine 3 SEC teams getting NY6 bowl bids. Most likely scenario is that maybe we end up at 11, but Auburn and Georgia get NY6 invites and we go to citrus.

ETA: I don't think that's officially against the rules or anything, it's just unprecedented. Bowl games are not auto-invites by rankings.
    Last edited by bostondawg; 11-21-2017 at 07:41 PM.

vCash
    There are some tie-ins, but I am pretty sure the NY6 goes by rankings after the tie-ins. The Orange has an ACC tie in. But I think if, big IF, we get in the top 11, we will make it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigdawg View Post
    There are some tie-ins, but I am pretty sure the NY6 goes by rankings after the tie-ins. The Orange has an ACC tie in. But I think if, big IF, we get in the top 11, we will make it.
    Yes, UCF may finish outside the top 12, but no other autobids (Power 5 champions and the ACC vs. Big 10/SEC/ND Orange Bowl matchup) will be from outside it, so if we're #11, we're definitely in whether the bowls like it or not.

The only scenario where we wouldn't be in at #11 is if both Miami and Clemson make the playoff somehow and the Orange has to take an ACC team from outside the top 12. But that's not very likely.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bostondawg View Post
    Unfortunately, NY6 games are not only determined by rankings--there are conference tie-ins as well. Assuming Bama goes to CFP, it's hard to imagine 3 SEC teams getting NY6 bowl bids. Most likely scenario is that maybe we end up at 11, but Auburn and Georgia get NY6 invites and we go to citrus.

ETA: I don't think that's officially against the rules or anything, it's just unprecedented. Bowl games are not auto-invites by rankings.

All about the rankings. Four big ten teams were in the NY6 last year.

vCash
    I bet the douchebags at UCF are melting down.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg34 View Post
    I bet the douchebags at UCF are melting down.
    I'm sure they are, but they shouldn't. They're safely in the NY6 with 2 more wins regardless of their ranking, and there's no possibility of making the playoff no matter how much chaos reigns, so their ranking is literally irrelevant.

vCash
    Is SC worthy or is the committee helping build up Clemson resume?

vCash
    WSU losing is a wash. 10-2 UW would simply jump ahead of us. Auburn losing will not drop below us. And they shouldn't frankly. They beat us by 39. TCU losing only gains us one spot. Ohio State losing may not drop below us. Frankly we need chaos immediately above us. We need WSU, Ohio State, Penn State, TCU, and Notre Dame to ALL lose. Then maybe just maybe we hit #11 when the dust clears.
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    I'm sure they are, but they shouldn't. They're safely in the NY6 with 2 more wins regardless of their ranking, and there's no possibility of making the playoff no matter how much chaos reigns, so their ranking is literally irrelevant.
    The only way a G5 is ever going to be even considered for a CFP spot is go undefeated, beat a P5 school with a record of at least 9-3, and be pretty convincing in their other wins. Not a bunch of 10 point wins over a bunch of nobodies.
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Let me add that it would need to be a 2nd or even 3rd year of going undefeated and making NY6 bowl games. Boise State had a little run that would have gotten them some major consideration- but it took three years.

vCash
    If Georgia tech were to beat UGA then UGA goes on to lose in the SECCG they could potentially fall below us in the rankings. It?s not likely but crazier things have happened in rivalry games

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BayouDawg View Post
    If Georgia tech were to beat UGA then UGA goes on to lose in the SECCG they could potentially fall below us in the rankings. It?s not likely but crazier things have happened in rivalry games
    They shouldn't, they beat the hell out of us.

vCash
    Georgia is favored by less vs GT than us vs OM

vCash
    They might in the AP Poll because many of those "voters" are lazy and don't care, but there's a virtually 0% chance that the Playoff Committee would drop a 10-3 team (that only got loss #3 because it played in a CCG) down below a 9-3 that it beat by 4 touchdowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quaoarsking View Post
    They might in the AP Poll because many of those "voters" are lazy and don't care, but there's a virtually 0% chance that the Playoff Committee would drop a 10-3 team (that only got loss #3 because it played in a CCG) down below a 9-3 that it beat by 4 touchdowns.
    I do not see it either, but that would be 3 losses out of 4 games for Georgia. If they were blasted pretty good in the sec championship game, they could fall pretty hard

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by curmudgeon View Post
    All about the rankings. Four big ten teams were in the NY6 last year.
    I stand corrected. Just looked it up. Thanks for looking out.

vCash
    And yep, UCF fans are being fragile snowflakes on the twitters. Which is ridiculous considering the point someone made above: the NY6 welfare system for G5 schools will ensure that UCF gets in. It's a waste of breath to care about their ranking.

vCash
    My hope is to make a NY 6 just so we can play CFU.
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    So because of the semifinals being Rose and Sugar this year, it's the best case scenario for one conference to sneak in 4 teams to the NY6. Only tie-ins this year will be ACC to Orange bowl and UCF as the G5 team. The winner of Clemson-Miami will likely go to CFP and loser likely to Orange. Neither of those probably affect us, because the loser won't drop below us. Assuming UCF will always be behind us anyway, that means, simply put, we just need to finish in the top 11 to go to a NY6 bowl. There will have to be some major upsets.