Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Montez Sweat

vCash

Montez Sweat

Why do MSU fans do this?

The B&B Show this morning was publicly vouching for him to go pro.

Bama has guys turn down 1st round draft grades to come back for another year & MSU will have it's best team in 50 years in 2018.

Not trying to call out Hadad & Carskadon, but why do MSU fans do this?

Why do we think every player that could possibly get drafted needs to go pro? J Rob, Sweat, Bear etc.... Going pro a year before you are ready is far more risky than coming back to school for another year. The NFL will cut your ass in a heart beat with no empathy. Unless your a slam dunk pick, it's in your best interest to accumulate as much development & experience in college as possible

I just don't get the mentality. Sweat has a chance to win an SEC title next year & go in the first round.

Why should he leave?

Just sick of the mentality while other schools are getting guys with first round grades to return
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 11-20-2017 at 11:25 AM.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Because those talking heads want another Bear or JRob story to talk bad about our players and their decision making. Similar to the media continuing to promote programs about to get hammered by the NCAA. Build someone up because the bigger the fall, the bigger the story.

Our own media people are our worst enemy. Who needs enemies when we have our own inside our own house?

vCash
    Probably bc it gets you (others too) talking about their show. Hell, I forget it even exists

vCash
    We still have a lot of self sabotage in our fan base and in some of our media folks as well. Sometimes people forget what's truly best for MSU. I mean how good would it look for us for Montez to leave early and get drafted as a junior right? Well it wouldn't look as good as him returning and helping anchor our defense next year and then getting drafted.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Probably bc it gets you (others too) talking about their show. Hell, I forget it even exists
    I get your point, but I'm not an advocate of the "bury your head in the sand" mentality. Can't build a program by doing that

vCash
    The only way he should go is if he is a surefire 1st round pick. I am not sure that is the case at this time. Someone might take a chance on him but most guys would want to see more tape than one year unless he runs a sub 4.5 then all bets are off.

Banned
    vCash
    This is exactly the reason.

vCash
    Didn't some NFL people say that if he stays for his senior year, he will be a first round NFL draft pick? I believe he has this information to ponder.

vCash
    But I don't want to forget it exists because I actually like the show.

Just wish MSU fans & media would grow up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yjnkdawg View Post
    Didn't some NFL people say that if he stays for his senior year, he will be a first round NFL draft pick. I believe he has this information to ponder.
    I don't believe any NFL people have said that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I don't believe any NFL people have said that.

Let's just wait and see how it all plays out then.
    Last edited by yjnkdawg; 11-20-2017 at 11:47 AM.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    He will battle for a 1st Rd pick in the 2019 draft. Sweat & Simmons both.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Simmons improves any and he might have a shot at a top 3 pick. He is as dominate as Fletcher was and that is a great comparison. If they redrafted the 2012 draft then Fletcher would probably go #1. Andrew Luck would be the only guy that could compare and I doubt anyone would take him now that is shoulder might be shot.

vCash
    Any player who has a chance to grab first round money needs to take it. I wouldn't mind if he stayed, don't get me wrong, but if someone was waving millions in my face I'd be gone too.

I also believe that Sweat will play awhile in the NFL and has a chance to be one of the best in the league. That's good publicity for MSU, just like Dak, KJ, Jones, Cox, Slay, Redmond, Banks, and the probably 5-6 other players that I can't remember off the top of my head. That type of pub will attract more top players - it's a cycle that we need to be a part of as much as possible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Agree. Just ridiculous to hear MSU people saying he should leave. Come back, win the SEC, & then go be a star in the NFL

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadrupleOption View Post
    Any player who has a chance to grab first round money needs to take it. I wouldn't mind if he stayed, don't get me wrong, but if someone was waving millions in my face I'd be gone too.

I also believe that Sweat will play awhile in the NFL and has a chance to be one of the best in the league. That's good publicity for MSU, just like Dak, KJ, Jones, Cox, Slay, Redmond, Banks, and the probably 5-6 other players that I can't remember off the top of my head. That type of pub will attract more top players - it's a cycle that we need to be a part of as much as possible.
    Agree if he can go in the first round this year.

I'm making an assumption that he is more of a 3rd rounder this year & needs to come back.

I even think he should come back if he is a 2nd rounder.

I normally say 2nd rounders that have been in the SEC for 3 years, should go to the NFL, but, if Sweat could already go in the 2nd round after 1 year in the SEC with basically 5 games of productive film, then he's a slam dunk 1st rounder next year when scouts can examine more games & have greater comfort with the track record.

Plus, it's a mighty steep jump from JUCO, SEC, to NFL in three years. Could probably use another year in the SEC just to master this level before moving up. It will make him a better player in the NFL

vCash
    Ive read somewhere that Sweat said he wants to play with Rivers, if that’s the case maybe he will be back next year for all the reasons raised. Playing on the defense next year with Rivers may just be another reason for him to stay. Obviously, if he’s a sure 1st rounder I’d be gone, and I expect him to be also. But if not, I’d love to see his stock improve next year while kicking ass on the field here.
    You're blind if you can't see improvement.....Freshmens......Strain.....Kick rocks and pound sand......Drag my Yankee ass outta here!......

vCash
    As we discuss this, Sweat just won his 3rd SEC DL of the week award

Congrats Montez!!! Now come back for 2018

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JoseBrown View Post
    Ive read somewhere that Sweat said he wants to play with Rivers, if that’s the case maybe he will be back next year for all the reasons raised. Playing on the defense next year with Rivers may just be another reason for him to stay. Obviously, if he’s a sure 1st rounder I’d be gone, and I expect him to be also. But if not, I’d love to see his stock improve next year while kicking ass on the field here.
    That DL is flat out scary next year.

If Sweat comes back in 2018, he'll break the MSU single season sack record & go in the first round. Along with possibly winning an SEC title

vCash
    If he gets a first round grade why wouldnt he leave? Bama has a ton of players leave early.