Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How would a former coach be received on the Jumbotron at MSU?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    That whole thing was a job interview ... Tubs doing the game , being there all week, the Jumbotron fiasco, Tub talking about how great OM and Oxford is and was to him, and how HE handled sanctions when he was there.

OM administration wanted to see what kind of reaction ole pine box would get. Shit Tubs talked about OM and his time there more than he did the game.

There aren't going to be any big names for this shit job. No up and coming Coach is going to go there unless it's just for a bigger pay check.
    It's Luke's , someone not in coaching now ( TT / Miles) or an older head coach that's looking for a big pay day over the next 3-5years that's going to be hired.

I called Tommy T there over a year ago. I stand by my prediction. TT is about one person himself. And he is about a paycheck. He gives zero ****s about OM.

So please OM hire this guy.
    I don't know why you'd want them to get Tubberville. He may be past his prime but he's still likely a much better coach than they would otherwise get. I'd prefer them keep Luke, or even better, go pay $3-4M a year to get Frank Wilson.

Banned
    vCash
    Croom contributed to the narrative that his firing was based on race when ESPN ran that doc on him. I wouldn't cheer but I wouldn't boo. I'd be completely indifferent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Croom contributed to the narrative that his firing was based on race when ESPN ran that doc on him. I wouldn't cheer but I wouldn't boo. I'd be completely indifferent.
    I didn't take his statements like that at all. You're talking about the "Croom" SEC Storied feature, right? He said he "didn't feel like he had support". That's really all I can remember that may be construed to how you took it, tbh.

I remember just laughing at him for throwing us under the bus. My reaction: You didn't have support because you only had 1 lucky ass winning season in 4 years, your offenses were some of the worst in the nation, year in and year out, and you refused to make changes at the OC position (McCorvey). You made your bed, now sleep in it. Add in the fact Dan Mullen was out there for the taking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    I love Rockey to death but if he said much more than Hail State on the Jumbotron most people would be asleep before he finished.
    You are way off here. I play golf with Rockey several times a year in our daily game at Old Waverly. There are not many people as good as Rockey around these days. He gave his heart and soul to MSU and MSU rewarded him for it.

vCash
    Croom, or really any of our former coaches that I can think of, would be OK with me. But I can uderstand Tubberville not going over well at OM. He really put the screws to them, and lied to them big time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I don't know why you'd want them to get Tubberville. He may be past his prime but he's still likely a much better coach than they would otherwise get. I'd prefer them keep Luke, or even better, go pay $3-4M a year to get Frank Wilson.
    A over rated coach that barley had winning records at TT and Cincy. Walked out on his program at TT and left Cincy with shit. And is about one thing Tommy T.
    Like I said please hire this guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the59dawg View Post
    You are way off here. I play golf with Rockey several times a year in our daily game at Old Waverly. There are not many people as good as Rockey around these days. He gave his heart and soul to MSU and MSU rewarded him for it.
    I agree that Rockey is a good guy, thats why I said I love him to death. I was commenting on how slow he talks. He's not a good public speaker and I think he would agree with that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    Hell Jackie has been all over i through the years. Before he died Bellard still came around. Rocky just retired from State. As far as Croom, he is the butt hurt one. I thought he wasa bad coach, butI don't figure he would be booed out of the stadium.

We don't hate former HC's like OM does. They still hate Tubs and Nutt, with reason on those, but they still hate Cuttcliffe, a winner who never said or did a thing to them other than not be a booster lover, and O who left them a ton of talent that got them to 2 Cotton Bowls.
    Nope, Croom wouldn?t have been booed... he would be cheered! That?s the kind of people 90% of MSU fans are. And believe me, he?s banked ALL of that $5M buyout... there?s very little to no ?butt hurt? (a strange and OM term) amongst the Croom family.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the59dawg View Post
    .... missed the joke.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    I didn't take his statements like that at all. You're talking about the "Croom" SEC Storied feature, right? He said he "didn't feel like he had support". That's really all I can remember that may be construed to how you took it, tbh.

I remember just laughing at him for throwing us under the bus. My reaction: You didn't have support because you only had 1 lucky ass winning season in 4 years, your offenses were some of the worst in the nation, year in and year out, and you refused to make changes at the OC position (McCorvey). You made your bed, now sleep in it. Add in the fact Dan Mullen was out there for the taking.
    * deleted cause I reread Beardo’s response. :-/
    Last edited by Turfdawg67; 11-20-2017 at 07:37 PM.

vCash
    What if Larry Templeton was on the video board?

vCash
    i completely agree... Administration fumbled on the chance to do that... Croom deserves better...

vCash
    I supported Croom and I liked a lot of his ideas- but it just seemed like he couldn't execute a lot of his own ideas. I think he was a victim of being unrealistic, stubborn, and not knowing quite what to do. I'm glad he gave us 2007.

I think if we brought Croom back to honor him or if he just showed up to a game I think most fans would applaud. We're the total opposite of Ole Miss when it comes to former coaches. They totally burn the bridge and literally try to ruin their career. Although it seems like most of them are still good with Freeze- which says a LOT about their fans and what they want and expect in a head coach. With us, if a coach is unsuccessful for about 5-7 years or so our fans may talk about how they're glad so and so is gone or whatever- but it's rarely vicious. After that period passes, normally our fans reflect on the good years and tend to remember that more than the bad outside of maybe a few really bad instances- Felker/Auburn game debacle, punting to Derek Abney over and over, and 3-2 against Auburn among others. I don't know of any coach that I would say would be unwelcome back- maybe Sirmon might be the closest to that. And honestly if Knox left and Dan wanted to hire Croom as the running backs coach, I don't think very many fans would have a problem with it. Not very many had a problem with Jackie bringing Felker back and I know certainly didn't even though I thought it was kind of unusual. And I would say with MSU fans- if Freeze was our coach and left us in the pickle that Ole Miss is in right now- that would be a situation where a lot of our fans wouldn't want him back. You're talking about a guy that is basically ruining their program and they just don't know it yet.

As far as bringing Croom back this year- he is still coaching in the NFL and I'm not sure that the timing would have worked out or not with that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    That whole thing was a job interview ... Tubs doing the game , being there all week, the Jumbotron fiasco, Tub talking about how great OM and Oxford is and was to him, and how HE handled sanctions when he was there.

OM administration wanted to see what kind of reaction ole pine box would get. Shit Tubs talked about OM and his time there more than he did the game.

There aren't going to be any big names for this shit job. No up and coming Coach is going to go there unless it's just for a bigger pay check.
    It's Luke's , someone not in coaching now ( TT / Miles) or an older head coach that's looking for a big pay day over the next 3-5years that's going to be hired.

I called Tommy T there over a year ago. I stand by my prediction. TT is about one person himself. And he is about a paycheck. He gives zero ****s about OM.

So please OM hire this guy.
    I thought the same thing watching the game. It was essentially a litmus test to see how their fans would respond. And based on the response I don't think they are going to hire Tuberville.

vCash
    Honoring Croom and that 2007 team will be a great moment. I agree that the only reason it didn’t happen is because Croom is still in the NFL which is a testament of how he is perceived as a coach.

My only concern about bringing in Croom as a RB coach would be his ability to recruit. But he did have some nice RBs when he was here and I can only imagine how good they would be in Mullen’s offense where the QB is a running threat and can actually complete a forward pass from time to time.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Agree with Ari, Tubs was absolutely testing the waters. Maybe with Ole Miss?s complicity. The fans probably killed that pretty quickly though.

Crook would be well received here. Some people may laugh, but nobody would boo. That?s not who we are as a fan base and everyone understands what he inherited.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Agree with Ari, Tubs was absolutely testing the waters. Maybe with Ole Miss?s complicity. The fans probably killed that pretty quickly though.

Crook would be well received here. Some people may laugh, but nobody would boo. That?s not who we are as a fan base and everyone understands what he inherited.
    Croom was basically the equivalent of Ole Miss potentially hiring Matt Luke

By hiring Luke, OM would have a good care taker for the program, that wouldn't get them in trouble, & create a clean slate for the real coach that they hire in 3-5 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    What if Larry Templeton was on the video board?
    Hopefully he would be applauded. Regardless of how good of a job you think he did, the guy is a life long Bulldog (he was literally born on campus) who worked for our athletic department for over 40 years and served as our AD for 20+ of those years......it would be a really bad look if our fans were to boo him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post

I don't know how that was testing the waters when only had about 15 or so fans there or maybe they hoped a dozen fans clapped so they could say it was a majority of the fanbase.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    I don't know how that was testing the waters when only had about 15 or so fans there or maybe they hoped a dozen fans clapped so they could say it was a majority of the fanbase.
    If leading the cheer went he was going to hang out in the grove after the game but he decided against that.*