Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would a former coach be received on the Jumbotron at MSU?

vCash

How would a former coach be received on the Jumbotron at MSU?

We?ve all seen the colossal failure of putting Pinebox Tuberville on the video board at OM. But how would you guys react if a video of Croom saying ?maroon is the only color that matters?? I know some of you wouldn?t like it but the vast majority of the fanbase understand that Croom came in and cleaned up a mess. Some wish he won more but many are glad he did enough to get out of the way for Mullen. It just points out that State has a much better relationship with their former coaches than OM.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    We?ve all seen the colossal failure of putting Pinebox Tuberville on the video board at OM. But how would you guys react if a video of Croom saying ?maroon is the only color that matters?? I know some of you wouldn?t like it but the vast majority of the fanbase understand that Croom came in and cleaned up a mess. Some wish he won more but many are glad he did enough to get out of the way for Mullen. It just points out that State has a much better relationship with their former coaches than OM.
    Tuberville left in a bad way so it isn't really a great comparison. Probably a better comparison would be if LSU put Saban on their board, how would they react.

vCash
    Hell Jackie has been all over i through the years. Before he died Bellard still came around. Rocky just retired from State. As far as Croom, he is the butt hurt one. I thought he wasa bad coach, butI don't figure he would be booed out of the stadium.

We don't hate former HC's like OM does. They still hate Tubs and Nutt, with reason on those, but they still hate Cuttcliffe, a winner who never said or did a thing to them other than not be a booster lover, and O who left them a ton of talent that got them to 2 Cotton Bowls.
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    I think it depends on the message. After 9 years, I think if Croom was put up with a message like "MSU still holds a special place in my heart and I'm proud of the way the program has grown. Congrats on XXX" - people would be receptive. Or if it was a message to Boobie D on being inducted to the MSU Hall of Fame (or something like that), it'd be fine. I don't think anyone holds any ill will toward any former coaches, but only certain ones could be used as a "cheerleader" - Jackie, Rockey, maybe Polk - and it come off as something sincere.

vCash
    Ole Piss fans are known to just hold grudges and not let things go!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUdawg7 View Post
    Ole Piss fans are known to just hold grudges and not let things go!!!
    Very true. Most of them still haven't forgiven Abraham Lincoln.

vCash
    I would cheer (and feel good) if Jackie were shown supporting MSU.

I would cheer (and feel good) if Croom were shown supporting MSU.

Rocky was such a fixture, It would be nice to see something from him on the board.

I would die from shock if Ron Polk offered up a supporting presence on the scoreboard. An absolute mass casualty situation would likely develop in the stadium as thousands had immediate cardiac arrest. I can imagine the News reports!!!!! Come to think of it, that event may be mentioned in Revelation. Is that the thirteenth plague?
    Last edited by MeridianDog; 11-20-2017 at 10:16 AM. Reason: addition

vCash
    I'd bee good with Croom. He did a lot of good for our program.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Ron Polk was on the video board for the Dudy Noble anniversary ceremony.

vCash
    I will say that I was a huge Croom supporter. I still feel like he did an excellent job of cleaning up our program, getting some good pieces in here for Mullen to succeed. I wish he would have won a few more games, but it is what it is. I disagree that Croom holds a grudge against the University as a whole, due to the fact I did go to a TN Titans game and saw him on the sideline and yelled Go State, he returned a Go State to me. I think Croom knows that his tenure here was based on wins and losses, and not just his skin color and that is all he was looking for.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    Hell Jackie has been all over i through the years. Before he died Bellard still came around. Rocky just retired from State. As far as Croom, he is the butt hurt one. I thought he wasa bad coach, butI don't figure he would be booed out of the stadium.

We don't hate former HC's like OM does. They still hate Tubs and Nutt, with reason on those, but they still hate Cuttcliffe, a winner who never said or did a thing to them other than not be a booster lover, and O who left them a ton of talent that got them to 2 Cotton Bowls.
    There's an article about Croom being happy for Mullen in 2014: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2..._back_wit.html

In relevant part:

"Flipping the channels, he finally found what he was looking for: highlights of Mississippi State vs. Texas A&M, played earlier that day. What he saw caused him to go bug-eyed and gave him a full-body shiver of excitement: The Bulldogs, the team he coached from 2004 to '08, beat the Aggies 48-31 in a game that--at the time--was the most significant in school history. Watching his old school lay the wood to A&M left the 60-year-old overwhelmed with one feeling: pride.

"I still feel connected to Mississippi State because I feel like the things we did there helped build what is happening now," Croom says. "When I got to Starkville the program needed some major changes. We emphasized two things with our players: character and academics. That was how we were going to build. I told the players we recruited that it may take seven or eight years to get Mississippi State to a level where we could contend for an SEC championship and a national championship. We didn't it done when I was there. But it's extremely gratifying to see it is happening now. The fans in Mississippi deserve it."

"Now you look at what Dan Mullen has done. They have as nice of facilities as anyone in the conference. They're getting those out of state kids and they're keeping kids in state from leaving. They are physically tough on defense and they have a heck of quarterback in Dak Prescott. That's how you win in the SEC."
    Last edited by bluelightstar; 11-20-2017 at 10:40 AM.

vCash
    Croom is a good man and a good position coach, just not a good head coach.

vCash
    I thought Croom sucked and was a complete waste of time... That said, I don't think its really his fault. I think he did the best he could and I'm appreciative of his time here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fader2103 View Post
    I did go to a TN Titans game and saw him on the sideline and yelled Go State, he returned a Go State to me. I think Croom knows that his tenure here was based on wins and losses, and not just his skin color and that is all he was looking for.

Glad to hear this. I wish his time at MSU had gone better.

vCash
    State and Bob Tyler patched things up as well. Some years ago he was on the pregame radio show when they brought back Bellard and Jackie and maybe Darryl Royal as well.

vCash
    That whole thing was a job interview ... Tubs doing the game , being there all week, the Jumbotron fiasco, Tub talking about how great OM and Oxford is and was to him, and how HE handled sanctions when he was there.

OM administration wanted to see what kind of reaction ole pine box would get. Shit Tubs talked about OM and his time there more than he did the game.

There aren't going to be any big names for this shit job. No up and coming Coach is going to go there unless it's just for a bigger pay check.
    It's Luke's , someone not in coaching now ( TT / Miles) or an older head coach that's looking for a big pay day over the next 3-5years that's going to be hired.

I called Tommy T there over a year ago. I stand by my prediction. TT is about one person himself. And he is about a paycheck. He gives zero ****s about OM.

So please OM hire this guy.

vCash
    I love Rockey to death but if he said much more than Hail State on the Jumbotron most people would be asleep before he finished.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstatelp1 View Post
    Very true. Most of them still haven't forgiven Abraham Lincoln.
    You win the internet today. It probably really pisses them off that not only do we have a Presidential Library but it is President Grant who ended the Glorious Old South.

vCash

Actually, I wished we had honored Sly sometime this season for 2007

and brought back the 07 team. Great for PR, great to mend fences w/Croom.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Dawg View Post
    Croom is a good man and a good position coach, just not a good head coach.
    If he had turned over the offense to someone that ran a spread offense at the time then he might have had a lot better career. He was dedicated to his type of offense and it just didn't work at MSU. I appreciate the foundation of hard work and academics. Dan had a good foundation to start with. Croom didn't have that luxury. At the end of the day, he wasn't cut out to be a college head coach.