Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why does State schedule the Battle of the Golden Egg for Thanksgiving?

vCash

Why does State schedule the Battle of the Golden Egg for Thanksgiving?

I was thinking that we had not played on Thanksgiving since 2003. However we did play on Thanksgiving in 2013. Now again in 2017. Both 13 & 17 are MSU home games.

So why? Why are we playing on a major holiday when there is 100% chance we will
    Play on TV if the game stayed scheduled for Saturday.

Banned
    vCash
    You don't think it will be on tv?

vCash
    ESPN scheduled it.

vCash
    I'm glad it's on thanksgiving. I think that's a cool tradition if we can stick to it. Playing a game on short rest isn't a disadvantage because both teams are doing it.

Banned
    vCash
    It's actually good national exposure as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    It's actually good national exposure as well.
    It really is. Since I?m out of state, I?m always amazed how people say they watching us on Thanksgiving and bet it?s a great game to go to.

vCash
    We're the only college football game at all on Thursday. It really is great exposure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    You don't think it will be on tv?
    No, I’m saying we will be on TV regardless if we play Thursday or Saturday. So why inconvenience the fans, staff and students?

The argument was always exposure back in the late 90s until 2003. I get it then. However now the game will be on TV (exposure) regardless of the day it is played. I agree Thursday night prime time is better than 11am SECTV or the duece. However, I wonder if the exposure really translates into any real benefits for the university. Also think about getting recruits on campus for the game. Maybe that isn’t a problem.... I don’t know. Just asking.

Banned
    vCash
    Old school EBs on Thanksgiving used to be epic.

Banned
    vCash
    Greater exposure on Thanksgiving because people will gather around the T.V. as a family, so they can hate one another in three hours or so.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    No, I’m saying we will be on TV regardless if we play Thursday or Saturday. So why inconvenience the fans, staff and students?

The argument was always exposure back in the late 90s until 2003. I get it then. However now the game will be on TV (exposure) regardless of the day it is played. I agree Thursday night prime time is better than 11am SECTV or the duece. However, I wonder if the exposure really translates into any real benefits for the university. Also think about getting recruits on campus for the game. Maybe that isn’t a problem.... I don’t know. Just asking.
    My sister in law works in admissions and she said after any big win our applications for admissions increase immediately so exposure does matter.
    Also, a high school friend of mine graduated from Alcorn. She lives in DC and she and her 9th grade son attended the Alcorn game against us in 2013. Her son really enjoyed the atmosphere and told his mom during the game that this is where he wants to go to school. He's now a freshman at State.
    The more positive exposure you can get the better it is for the school.

vCash
    ESPN (basically) schedules our games. By playing Thanksgiving day, we get a "Premier Status" time slot on Thursday, they get a good game and people get something to watch, while they burp away their Turkey dinners.

vCash
    It would be during a holiday for the students either way.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Easier to get back to campus if it was Saturday instead of on Thanksgiving. We basically give up one of our recruiting days because of this. A game against our previous rival. A game that would have the better atmosphere played in the afternoon on Saturday.
    The story above that talks about the mom from Alcorn has a less likely probability of repeating itself now that people would have to leave their families on the Holiday and go to the game.

I am against black friday sales ruining Thanksgiving as I am against this. It takes time away from Family unnecessarily.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    I swear we could win the national Championship and some of us wouldd gripe about the game being on Monday.

vCash
    Hell I love it. If the UM side of the family comes to the Thanksgiving tailgate, I will get to see their sad faces afterwards. But more than likely their asses will stay home home and I won?t have to see them at all, even better.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    There is a search function on main page. These threads are gettin close to Mullen to wherever threads.

No decision is going to make everyone happy. Being one of the only games on during a holiday when most people will be gathered round the TV is very valuable to our program and brand. Especially when we beat the breaks off of the bearsharts. There will be 2 nfl games Thursday and maybe 2 college games. There have to be over 40-50 college games televised on any given Saturday.

Let?s not forget that this is one of the most bitter rivalries in college football. When Texas vs Texas A&M was our replacement game and then we got the Thursday back, that tells you how much value ESPN believes this game has.

vCash
    If there's one thing I'm thankful for this year, its that we'll be playing on Thanksgiving. I am very excited about the Thursday game. To me it makes it a special day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    I swear we could win the national Championship and some of us wouldd gripe about the game being on Monday.
    I can understand if the thread has a negative vibe. I imagine if you polled he fans and students, the poll would split 50/50 for or against.

However my question is more of Why does MSU decide to schedule this game on this day? It is obvious that it is our decision to agree to it. Because we want the exposure. I just wondered if the university was receiving some extra cash from Espn or the university felt it was easier to keep staff on campus for Thursday rather than return them for Saturday after a few days off.

I know two families with Msu students. One kid is coming home tonight (doesn’t usually go to games anyway) One kid is coming home after the game.
    Last edited by Maroonthirteen; 11-20-2017 at 10:55 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    I can understand if the thread has a negative vibe. I imagine if you polled he fans and students, the poll would split 50/50 for or against.

However my question is more of Why does MSU decide to schedule this game on this day? It is obvious that it is our decision to agree to it. Because we want the exposure. I just wondered if the university was receiving some extra cash from Espn or the university felt it was easier to keep staff on campus for Thursday rather than return them from Saturday after a few days off.

I know two families with Msu students. One kid is coming home tonight (doesn’t usually go to games anyway) One kid is coming home after the game.
    I would assume there is extra cash - as I'm pretty sure there is a scheduling contract agreed to by all 3 to make it happen (next year in Oxford is on T-Giving too). I'm glad that we seem to be doing it as part of a rotation now and not a sure thing. We last did it 2013. 2 out of ever 6-7 years is good balance. My daughter is in the FMB and we are driving over Wednesday to see her and go to the game Thursday, but have to turn around Friday and leave early to get back home for HS Playoff football.