Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why does State schedule the Battle of the Golden Egg for Thanksgiving?

vCash
    Thanksgiving afternoon 1:30 PM in Jackson

vCash
    Well for one thing it is a prime time game on ESPN, with good exposure and no other college football game being televised. When ESPN approaches you and wants to televise your game in prime time, then why do you turn them down? Some fans don't like it on Thanksgiving Day and others do. ESPN has their own scheduling . If MSU and OM refused this time slot, then guess what? It would probably be an 11 AM kick-off on Saturday, and possibly on the SEC Network. I agree with Liverpool, some people would gripe and complain if we played in the National Championship. But they could have scheduled it on Saturday night, right?

vCash
    Selfishly, it's basically a home game I can't attend because we have to do Thanksgiving 3 states away. With grandparents/etc getting older, tough to justify missing them all on Thanksgiving for a ballgame.

vCash
    I find it funny that people complain about the game being on Thanksgiving because it screws with their valuable family time but if the game is on Saturday and Coach Mullen lets the players go spend a few hours with their families on Thanksgiving all hell breaks loose.
    Last edited by LC Dawg; 11-20-2017 at 11:29 AM.

vCash
    Easy answer -$$$$

vCash
    Watching football while in a food and wine coma is one of lifes great pleasures.

vCash
    WHO DOES NOT UNDERSTAND THAT THE GAMES ARE SCHEDULED BY THE NETWORKS???? DO SOME OF US LIVE UNDER A ROCK? MSU DOES NOT MAKE OUT THE SCHEDULES...BUT I AM SURE THEY AGREED TO THIS DATE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightstar View Post
    Selfishly, it's basically a home game I can't attend because we have to do Thanksgiving 3 states away. With grandparents/etc getting older, tough to justify missing them all on Thanksgiving for a ballgame.
    I am the exact opposite. Being on Thanksgiving is the only chance my wife has of going to the game. She works in retail so any Saturdays from November through Christmas is no go for her. Our family is 2 hours from Starkville so we will eat lunch then drive and have Friendsgiving at the tailgate.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    I find it funny that people complain about the game being on Thanksgiving because it screws with their valuable family time but if the game is on Saturday and Coach Mullen lets the players go spend a few hours with their families on Thanksgiving all hell breaks loose.
    This pretty much sums up the majority of our fan base.

vCash
    Spot on.

vCash
    What better way to spend Thanksgiving, with the family. Does that not include the MSU family? Sure, playing on Thanksgiving does cause some troubles, but where is it written that you cannot have the meal at the Junction before the game? Would that not make the holiday even more special? Destroy the turkey, then walk a short way to destroy RebelSharkBear hope for the future... It could also make the cranberries sweeter...

I contend that this is just another growing pain that many in the fan base will need to get used to. State used to play all Saturday games because the team wasn't attractive enough. In recent years though the match has usually been very watchable. As MSU continues to get better do not be surprised for more "traditions" to be broken (home games with top teams away from campus and on days other than Saturday) -- all because the team and the program is getting tons of respect. You'll get used to it [Tide fans have...]

vCash

LFC YNWA

vCash
    Without reading any of the previous replies... exposure, money & exposure! The whole country is looking for an excuse to get away from the family and watch some football, ESPN knows it and the EB has done well there.

vCash
    I won’t compare myself to you, but like you, I love to point out the ironies and hypocrisies of this board. Well played, well played.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    I won?t compare myself to you, but like you, I love to point out the ironies and hypocrisies of this board. Well played, well played.
    hmmm.... Perhaps if more thought that way it wouldn't be such a problem. People think that just b/c it is inconvenient for them that it must be inconvenient for everyone else.

This game may not bring the maximum amount of fans, but it will provide a much needed opportunity for some to go when they normally can't, and I'd bet there will be higher ratings for this game than most games of any team this entire season.

I'll actually be taking my brother and nephew to the game this year. My brother hasn't been able to go to a game since he graduated in '99, and it will be nephews first experience. I hope we win, but either way this Thursday will be a day I will never forget and I'm sure the same will go for them.

vCash
    If MSU & the SEC continue on their current trajectories, the topic of this thread will become moot.
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    I personally don't care for it. We're basically asking a lot of our fans to choose either MSU football or their families or working around things to go to the game. I think it also makes it difficult for some of the recruits to go to the game as well because of the family issue and also because some of them are still playing and they have a game on Friday night. The best exposure you get is from winning- when we made it to number one that was greater as far exposure compared to anytime we've ever played on Thanksgiving, worn any crazy uniforms, or anything else.

And as far as "exposure"- yeah, we may be the only college game on but we're going to be competing directly with the Giants and Redskins. We're on TV every weekend and our exposure is coming from winning. Back in the 90's we weren't on every weekend so playing Kentucky or a game that likely wouldn't have been on a Saturday made more sense then. Now there are maybe 1-2 SEC games on a Thursday a year. And also why the MAC is playing their league schedue almost entirely during the week.

Then you have the fact that the short week is causing us to play three SEC West games in 12 days- that's almost half the division in less than two weeks. Of course, the least the SEC could do would have been to let MSU- and Ole Miss for that matter- play a FCS or Sun Belt team the week before. That's a really tough stretch. I think playing on Thanksgiving hurts a lot of businesses in Starkville because I'm sure many of them are closed during Thanksgiving, so they miss the business from the game that they would have gotten otherwise.

The truth is- this wasn't and isn't about the TV Networks as much as it is about Texas/Texas A&M and their divorce from the Big 12 and Scott Stricklin. For a few years, Texas and A&M played on Thanksgiving and they liked doing it. Of course once they stopped playing each other that ended and the TV people wanted someone else to play on Thanksgiving. The TV people actually wanted A&M and LSU but LSU adamantly refused to do it even though A&M wanted to do it. Of course Stricklin jumped on the opportunity and here we are. It sounds to me like Texas and A&M are going to start playing again in the next five years- the Governor of Texas wants them to renew the series and both Texas and A&M are open to doing it so they ingredients are there for it to happen. If that happens like I think it will, my guess is the Texas and A&M game will go back to being on Thanksgiving. That or the Egg Bowl is going to be a lot of blowouts in our favor because Ole Miss is about to be bad for awhile so the TV people may end it because of that. Which is what ended the original Thanksgiving Egg Bowl run when we were on probation and losing to Ole Miss 31-0 or 24-12.

I know some people really like playing on Thanksgiving, I know some really don't like it, and then many are in the middle. What I personally would like to see the SEC do is rotate the rivalry games through Thanksgiving on two year stertches I guess- so say the Egg Bowl two years in a row, then the Iron Bowl for two years, and etc. with the understanding that the 11th game the week before is a cupcake before Thanksgiving.

Banned
    vCash
    Ever so often the fans will have to endure some holiday inconvenience in order for the program to reap the rewards national exposure gives. It's called taking one for the team. Giving back so to speak for what they give us. Be thankful, especially this time of year.