Thread: Couple Basketball thoughts...

Banned
    vCash

Couple Basketball thoughts...

1) Abdul Ado is the real deal. He is our best post player no question. Starting lineup was nice tonight with the addition of Ado and Nick Spoon.

2) Nick Spoon is All-SEC Frosh but he's got some stuff to work on with his shooting mechanics so it'll be fun to see him improve here.

3) Herard had 0 points, 1 rebound and 6 blocks. Not sure I've ever seen a stat line like that before. If he keeps getting 6 blocks a game I'll do my best to ignore how terrible his hands are. Not promising anything.

4) Holman is a much better player with Ado on the court and really has improved the most on the team so far this year. If you could put Holman's hands, passing, basketball I.Q. and aggression in Herard's body you'd have a top 15 draft pick.

5) Peters is a nice player but he's no first round draft pick this year. NBAdraftnet started with him at #11 two weeks ago and he's currently sitting at #19. Discussion needs to be happening behind closed doors on who the odd man out is next year or if it's possible for someone to take an academic scholarship. Is that possible? I am unaware of the rules here.

6) Datcher continues to look like a nice find by Howland. I am curious to see what Ado & Datcher on the court together looks like. Honestly I am curious to see what Ado paired with all of our big man looks like.

7) As soon as our guards realize all they have to do is get the ball to Ado or Holman on the block for easy assists we will be much better offensively. This should be options 1, 2 and 3 each time down the floor.

8) We can't shoot for shit. Get a shooting coach already. It's a thing. Look it up. There's guy's that make careers outta being shooting coaches. We need one of them helping our team.

9) We have 1 obvious tough game OOC at Cincinnati that is a loss. They look like a potential final four team and top 5 in the country this year. It's ok though maybe the ass kicking will do us some good. We have 3 other difficult OOC games though that we really need to sweep. It'd do wonders for our resume. Those are Dayton, Stephen F. Austin and Jacksonville St. Yea don't laugh at Jacksonville St. they are pretty dang good. They won the OVC tourney last year and look to me to be the favorite to win it this year.

10) Missing Stapleton and Eli hurt tonight but FAMU sucks so it didn't matter. Hope Stapleton can return soon. Not sure whats up with Eli but someone said he didn't play because he got a speeding ticket. No clue but hope that's just a one game discipline thing and there won't be anymore problems with him the rest of his time at MSU.

11) Singleton looks kinda alright. He might start dipping into someone's minutes soon.

12) Crowd continues to be embarrassing but it's OOC so who cares. Just fill the Hump for our 9 SEC games. Sellout 9 games. We have to win every home game in the SEC.

13) Next game is Monday night vs Green Bay. They went 18-14 last year so they aren't horrible but we should win by 15+.

vCash
    I really like Datcher. I think he is a gonna be a very good player for us by the end of this season/beginning of next.

I know everyone thinks I am down on basketball, but I just have high expectations for this team. I want us to cut out the horrible extended periods of bad basketball... those will get us beat by a team with a pulse.

vCash

Reminds me of Wiley Peck

Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I really like Datcher. I think he is a gonna be a very good player for us by the end of this season/beginning of next.

I know everyone thinks I am down on basketball, but I just have high expectations for this team. I want us to cut out the horrible extended periods of bad basketball... those will get us beat by a team with a pulse.
    Older guys will agree!

vCash
    I'm really pleased with what we've seen so far, but the main thing about this team that concerns me right now is that our perimeter players seem completely adverse to throwing the ball in to a post player on the low block. I get it if it's Herard or even Datcher right now, but Ado obviously can catch it and knows what to do with it, and Holman can make good passes back out. Maybe yesterday it was due to the knowledge that the opponent would immediately collapse the zone on it, but going forward we need to get better about that or our offense will be stagnant with just throwing the ball around the perimeter like we did a lot of the time yesterday.

There's no reason to worry about the shooting. We know Q, Peters, Carter, and Holman are good shooters, and young 'Spoon should be one too. We just had an off night in that area last night, it happens. If anything I'm worried about our guards being too unselfish; many times last night we made way too many "extra" passes with shooters passing up open shots.

vCash
    I haven't paid 5 seconds worth of attention to BB and won't until probably after the bowls, but Ado seems hurt alot. What exactly is his injury?
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBacker View Post
    Older guys will agree!
    I agree, PECK got better every year and His side-kick was Ricky Brown. Maybe Ado and Datcher will be as good. Both Peck and Brown were drafted in first round. Plus Datcher knocks down free throws.

vCash
    Most were ready to ditch Wright and Datcher last year but they are some of our more reliable players. I really hate that Herard looks exactly the same, was hoping he would make a jump and hoping he still will. Singleton aint taking anyone minutes 61, sorry. Especially when Wright and X are in the line up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    I haven't paid 5 seconds worth of attention to BB and won't until probably after the bowls, but Ado seems hurt alot. What exactly is his injury?
    Quad injury from a few months ago that kept him out the first game. He looked back to 100% last night though. I don't think he's had any injury trouble besides that. He had to sit out last year for academic reasons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    I'm really pleased with what we've seen so far, but the main thing about this team that concerns me right now is that our perimeter players seem completely adverse to throwing the ball in to a post player on the low block. I get it if it's Herard or even Datcher right now, but Ado obviously can catch it and knows what to do with it, and Holman can make good passes back out. Maybe yesterday it was due to the knowledge that the opponent would immediately collapse the zone on it, but going forward we need to get better about that or our offense will be stagnant with just throwing the ball around the perimeter like we did a lot of the time yesterday.

There's no reason to worry about the shooting. We know Q, Peters, Carter, and Holman are good shooters, and young 'Spoon should be one too. We just had an off night in that area last night, it happens. If anything I'm worried about our guards being too unselfish; many times last night we made way too many "extra" passes with shooters passing up open shots.
    We started the game 0/13 on 3's in first half. All the guards were throwing them up with no success.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the59dawg View Post
    We started the game 0/13 on 3's in first half. All the guards were throwing them up with no success.
    Right, so the fact we struggled with outside shooting in one game means all the guys on our team who were good shooters last year suddenly forgot how to shoot. Couldn't possibly be that we just had a cold shooting game as all other teams do from time to time.

Also, we were not 0/13 in the first half. Holman made a 3 for the first points of the game.