Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The one that got away (basketball)

vCash

The one that got away (basketball)

Not Malik. Not tookie. Not brooks. Boy, we really could use simonds. He dropped 29 on OM tonight. Wish we had this kid

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Not Malik. Not tookie. Not brooks. Boy, we really could use simonds. He dropped 29 on OM tonight. Wish we had this kid
    10-22 shooting with 7 turnovers. I don't even know who he is though, did we cut him loose at some point to sign someone else?

Edit: Looking at his recruiting profile, it seems like we did. Who did we sign that pushed him out of our class?
    Last edited by WeWonItAll(Most); 11-17-2017 at 09:15 PM.

vCash
    Poor bears had to overcome an 8 point halftime deficit to win by 5 against mighty Ga State.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWonItAll(Most) View Post
    10-22 shooting with 7 turnovers. I don't even know who he is though, did we cut him loose at some point to sign someone else?

Edit: Looking at his recruiting profile, it seems like we did. Who did we sign that pushed him out of our class?
    Not sure.

Didn?t realize he shot so poorly tonight. I only watched part of it and it was to see him. He got to to the basket pretty easily the portion of the game I watched. Kid has talent.

Banned
    vCash
    There's always going to be some misses in college basketball. Stansbury had something like 35 misses between 2004-2012. That was players that he signed that quit/got kicked off/transfered/or flat out sucked and had no business playing SEC basketball. If we counted the ones Stansbury didn't even sign and passed up on it'd be 3x that amount. Howland is doing very well on limiting the misses so far imo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    An old Stans quote: The guys you miss don't hurt you, it can be the guys you sign. Ended up being prophetic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    There's always going to be some misses in college basketball. Stansbury had something like 35 misses between 2004-2012. That was players that he signed that quit/got kicked off/transfered/or flat out sucked and had no business playing SEC basketball. If we counted the ones Stansbury didn't even sign and passed up on it'd be 3x that amount. Howland is doing very well on limiting the misses so far imo.
    But not so well on winning, not yet anyway.

vCash
    It wasn't a "miss." It was pretty simple, he was a Rick Ray recruit and once we fired him Simonds de-committed.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    But not so well on winning, not yet anyway.
    Stansbury fired himself when he refused to fire any of his assistants. Stricklin didn't go into the meeting with intentions of firing Stansbury. Rick left him no choice when he gave Stricklin an ultimatum. Rick Stansbury got 14 seasons as a head coach at MSU. He made over $25 mill dollars while at MSU. He is now set for life because of MSU. He did not make it to one single sweet sixteen in that timeframe. Fourteen seasons is enough for a guy that let his team do whatever the **** they wanted and refused to take direction from his athletic director in terms of replacing an assistant coach. Wouldn't do it. So we let him go and it was ABSOLUTELY the right call. You need to put it to bed. Let it go. Stansbury doesn't deserve to be our coach forever. Fourteen seasons is enough. Do not bitch about Stansbury being fired anymore he fired himself.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    I wouldnt say he got away. When you play on a team that don't have equal or better talent than you, your game will appear better. Guarantee you if Eli Wright played on Florida A&M he would be scoring 15-20 a night.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    I wouldnt say he got away. When you play on a team that don't have equal or better talent than you, your game will appear better. Guarantee you if Eli Wright played on Florida A&M he would be scoring 15-20 a night.
    This is a very good point. Tyson Carter is another player that would be lighting it up in the Sun Belt. Off topic but I am not sold that Newman is a better player than Carter. I could make a strong argument that Tyson is the better 2 guard than Malik. Tyson's biggest issue is that Q/Peters demand all the minutes.

vCash
    Stansbury fired himself when he refused to fire any of his assistants. Stricklin didn't go into the meeting with intentions of firing Stansbury. Rick left him no choice when he gave Stricklin an ultimatum. Rick Stansbury got 14 seasons as a head coach at MSU. He made over $25 mill dollars while at MSU. He is now set for life because of MSU. He did not make it to one single sweet sixteen in that timeframe. Fourteen seasons is enough for a guy that let his team do whatever the **** they wanted and refused to take direction from his athletic director in terms of replacing an assistant coach. Wouldn't do it. So we let him go and it was ABSOLUTELY the right call. You need to put it to bed. Let it go. Stansbury doesn't deserve to be our coach forever. Fourteen seasons is enough. Do not bitch about Stansbury being fired anymore he fired himself.
    Dang! This makes two times in a row I gotta give 61 an "amen"!

vCash

Fact remains we still haven't equaled his last season in what is it, 7 years now? I won't argue that Stans was headed out, but we did it one year too quick. Water under the bridge now. I'd just like to get back where we were. Maybe this is the year. If Howland can't get us there, we really are in trouble.

By the way, how many Sweet 16s has MSU appeared in? I think the number is TWO, back to back years under Richard Williams. Now if the Babe had been allowed to go to the tourney every year, we might have had 1-3 more. It's not like we are a basketball powerhouse.
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 11-17-2017 at 11:04 PM.

Banned
    vCash
    Fact remains we still haven't equaled his last season in what is it, 7 years now? I won't argue that Stans was headed out, but we did it one year too quick. Water under the bridge now. I'd just like to get back where we were. Maybe this is the year. If Howland can't get us there, we really are in trouble.

By the way, how many Sweet 16s has MSU appeared in? I think the number is TWO, back to back years under Richard Williams. Now if the Babe had been allowed to go to the tourney every year, we might have had 1-3 more. It's not like we are a basketball powerhouse.
    I'll repeat it cause you still aren't accepting it. Rick Stansbury fired himself when he gave Stricklin the double birds by refusing to replace any of his assistants. There was no "one more year" once Rick made a line in the sand. There was nothing Stricklin could do except to fire him at that point. Had Stricklin not fired him he would have then been firing himself instead. There's only a very small fringe of you that still don't understand this which is confusing as you love to spout off about how much you know about business. Well this is the most basic of all business. When your boss demands you to do something and you refuse to do it you are firing yourself. This is the number one most basic rule of any business anywhere.

vCash
    Fact remains we still haven't equaled his last season in what is it, 7 years now? .
    Stands has only been gone 5 years. 3 for Ray and 2 for Howland
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I'll repeat it cause you still aren't accepting it. Rick Stansbury fired himself when he gave Stricklin the double birds by refusing to replace any of his assistants. There was no "one more year" once Rick made a line in the sand. There was nothing Stricklin could do except to fire him at that point. Had Stricklin not fired him he would have then been firing himself instead. There's only a very small fringe of you that still don't understand this which is confusing as you love to spout off about how much you know about business. Well this is the most basic of all business. When your boss demands you to do something and you refuse to do it you are firing yourself. This is the number one most basic rule of any business anywhere.
    Whatever 61, you obviously know everything about everything. Had we waited another year, things would have been better. I know how MSU people felt. I also know how it was perceived by those outside the MSU family. Strick should have waited one more year before he forced the issue. His replacement options would have been better if we had fired Rick after a bad season. WE were the only ones that thought Rick's last one was a bad one for us. My non-MSU friends thought we we had gone nuts. I DO think we would have sucked the next year under Stans. I said so at the time. We would have had more options had we waited. Cue up 34 and others to deny this, but I have a DAMN good source on basketball. He has never been wrong, and was spot on on everything that happened, before it happened.

PS.....WE were the only ones that thought the Sydney debacle was a debacle. Everybody else thought it was amusing and mildly embarrassing, if they even noticed. The only thing they noticed in all of it was the fight. I know the story there, we canned the right guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Stands has only been gone 5 years. 3 for Ray and 2 for Howland
    Seems like 10. I hate sucking at basketball.

vCash
    I won't argue that Stans was headed out, but we did it one year too quick
    In retrospect I'll buy this because the 2013 team under Stands would have been God-awful and it would have shown it was more than time. We should have let him bottom out like we usually do in the other sports- then guys like you wouldnt have anything to hang your hat on

vCash
    Whatever 61, you obviously know everything about everything. Had we waited another year, things would have been better. I know how MSU people felt. I also know how it was perceived by those outside the MSU family. Strick should have waited one more year before he forced the issue. His replacement options would have been better if we had fired Rick after a bad season. WE were the only ones that thought Rick's last one was a bad one for us. My non-MSU friends thought we we had gone nuts. I DO think we would have sucked the next year under Stans. I said so at the time. We would have had more options had we waited. Cue up 34 and others to deny this, but I have a DAMN good source on basketball. He has never been wrong, and was spot on on everything that happened, before it happened.

PS.....WE were the only ones that thought the Sydney debacle was a debacle. Everybody else thought it was amusing and mildly embarrassing, if they even noticed. The only thing they noticed in all of it was the fight. I know the story there, we canned the right guy.
    you are insane. People from all over wondered how he still had a job. You have lost touch with reality. It's not often Sporting News calls a program the "most dysfunctional team in America". We were a joke to most people. Just wow

vCash
    I'll put it this way:

Coaches from all over knew that Sidney couldnt go on our European trip because of his drug problems. We sent him to Texas to work with John because he had a coke problem. Coaches all over the SEC knew this was going on in our program. And thats why nobody wanted the job when it came open. They knew we had a tremendous drug problem within our team. It's also why we told Ray to run off the ones that failed drug tests that Summer- losing 3 more players before practice even started. We were a ****ing dumpster fire because of your boy Stands